Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2011, 15:36   #16
cruiser

you boys {buds} r a joke

firstly there is no drivers license requirement to operate a sea craft bin the USA or canada so what are you making this guy paranoid of,,the law dont apply ,periods,,,,is it an owner occupied yacht? no problem,,wow,,you guys are a trip freaking this guiy out about BS laws that dont even apply ,,laughably nottrue...fair winds
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 15:50   #17

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullord View Post
firstly there is no drivers license requirement to operate a sea craft bin the USA or Canada so what are you making this guy paranoid of,,the law dont apply ,periods,,,,is it an owner occupied yacht? no problem,,wow,,you guys are a trip freaking this guiy out about BS laws that dont even apply ,,laughably nottrue...fair winds
I don't know where you get your info from but in Canada N.S if you loose your license for DUI YOU CAN NOT OPERATE ANY MOTORIZED VEHICLE VESSEL WHILE SUSSPENDED......................DAHHHHHHHHH
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 16:03   #18

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
Do not change insurance companies, do not change coverage, if he is lucky, they won't running a check on his record (need to do this for 3-5 yrs).
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 16:05   #19

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I cannot beleave this, but I cannot dispute it ..
Depends on the state and how they worded their law. If the law was written as: "prohibited from operating a motor vehicle", then you can sail if you don't have a motor, otherwise, you are out of luck.

If followed to the letter of the law, this would include rideon lawnmowers too.

However, most states don't require a license to operate a boat, so unless you are doing something illegal, they probably won't ask for identification.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 16:06   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullord View Post
firstly there is no drivers license requirement to operate a sea craft bin the USA or canada so what are you making this guy paranoid of,,the law dont apply ,periods,,,,is it an owner occupied yacht? no problem,,wow,,you guys are a trip freaking this guiy out about BS laws that dont even apply ,,laughably nottrue...fair winds
Quote:
All Canadians are now required by federal law to carry a boating license when operating a powered water craft. To receive this boat operator license, you must pass a multiple choice exam with a score of at least 75%.

Official Canadian Boating License at BoaterExam.com®

Alabama is the only US state to require a Boaters license. 37 states require completion of a boaters safety course with certificate of completion.

Does my state require a boat license? - DMV Answers
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 16:08   #21

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
I don't see how they can trace a drivers license number to a boat insurance policy unless you also have auto insurance with the same company. since when are they related anyway?. . .
Actually, in the USA everything you have ever done or do which is part of public record somewhere - is in your "credit report" held and accumulated by the three major credit report companies. It is all referenced to your social security number which is your mandatory identification number. So insurance companies and other qualified institutions can access those reports at any time and find out your current status.
- - Where this becomes touchy is when some insurance companies send you an annual "update" form where you are supposed to list any and all things that might be detrimental to your "insurability." Not putting honest answers on the form gives the insurance company the option to cancel you for submitting false information or worse to deny a claim.
- - Others have mentioned cases where some insurance companies do bump up your rates. They may be offshore insurance companies that do not.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 16:30   #22

Boat: Finnsailer 38
It might very well impact his insurance rates as they track everything about you: credit score, where you live, where you work, where you have a driver's license, etc. However, I doubt you would be prohibited from operating a boat, because as far as I know there is only one U.S. state that has any sort of official boating driver's license. A bunch require a safety certificate, but I don't believe that is tied to having a driver's license because even children can get one. I have been stopped and boarded numerous times by the Coast Guard and various law enforcement because I travel so much up and down the East Coast and I have never been asked for either my driver's license or any sort of boating license, which I don't think really exists. The other thing it might do is impact a Coast Guard license if he has one. Isn't it a requirement to be drunk to drive one of those Cigarette boats anyway?
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 16:31   #23

Since 2005, the Real ID Act REQUIRES the licensing agencies in ALL 50 states to comply with federal identification guidelines when conducting business with said agencies. One can get around providing a Driver's License if they use their Passport for registration purposes, but if they have a drivers license in that state, then the Drivers license will automatically be cross referenced.

Insurance companies have a vested interest in accurately identifying those whom they insure. Just about all will require a verifiable drivers license when signing up for a policy of any type. That information is used to pull a consumer credit report on an applicant for a policy. Those credit reports contain, amongst other things, ones drivers license and any abstracts associated with those license numbers. When one is convicted of a criminal offense sbject to the jurisdiction of the Dept of Licensing, the court automatically sends a Abstract Of Court Record To Dept of Licensing so the court can be notified by the department in the event of a violation. Insurance companies will be privy to the existence of said abstract at the time the run an applicants consumer report.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 17:10   #24

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
. . . Isn't it a requirement to be drunk to drive one of those Cigarette boats anyway?
I don't know about that but from the glossy magazines for such boats it does seem that a definite requirement is to have at least two or more silicon-enhanced blonde babes standing beside you when at full speed.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 16:26   #25

Re: DWI / Driver's License Suspension

I would think it will be determined by the sentence.

normally its no operation of a motor vehicle.

not sure if the definition of a motor vehicle includes a boat. thats the question.
MrBillFLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 16:57   #26

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

In state of New Jersey...your boater's license is tied to your drivers license. Lose one and you stand to lose the other if the court asks for it.

You are required to show proof of some kind of boating safety course to operate in the State of NJ. The USCG has no jurisdiction to ask for it but local and state police can ask and can require you to move on if you can't show some sort of proof.

I teach the NJ boaters safety course and I have yet to hear of a boater's boating insurance affected by a DUI...not saying it can't but just haven't heard of it yet.

You can hold a USCG license and have multiple DUIs even with prison time...so anything is possible!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 18:04   #27

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
A friend of mine is about to lose his license due to a DWI/DUI and I was wondering if that would affect his Boat insurance or hamper his ability to stay in marinas or have any other adverse effects on his boating life?
He can go get a separate boat/vessel license.I got a DUI while driving my truck.I lost my driver's license but not my Vessel license because they are separate departments.If he got a BUI (boating under the influence) he would lose his boat/vessel license.
joey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 18:10   #28

The Dept. of Conservation is who your Boat/Vessel License is from.You take a Certificate from them,after taking a test,to the License Clerk to obtain a vessel license.I called when I got my DUI and they told me"one does not affect the other".
Old 25-02-2011, 18:15   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
It might very well impact his insurance rates as they track everything about you: credit score, where you live, where you work, where you have a driver's license, etc. However, I doubt you would be prohibited from operating a boat, because as far as I know there is only one U.S. state that has any sort of official boating driver's license. A bunch require a safety certificate, but I don't believe that is tied to having a driver's license because even children can get one. I have been stopped and boarded numerous times by the Coast Guard and various law enforcement because I travel so much up and down the East Coast and I have never been asked for either my driver's license or any sort of boating license, which I don't think really exists. The other thing it might do is impact a Coast Guard license if he has one. Isn't it a requirement to be drunk to drive one of those Cigarette boats anyway?

Boating Class Requirements for Your State - Boat Ed, Official Boating Safety Courses
Old 25-02-2011, 18:34   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
Depends on the state and how they worded their law. If the law was written as: "prohibited from operating a motor vehicle", then you can sail if you don't have a motor, otherwise, you are out of luck.

If followed to the letter of the law, this would include ride on lawnmowers too.

However, most states don't require a license to operate a boat, so unless you are doing something illegal, they probably won't ask for identification.
A Sailboat is Excluded because the sails are the primary source of power.

"operating a motor vehicle"

They changed the law so that it reads "any means of conveyance".

That includes a riding lawn mower,bicycle,scooter,horse, i.e. any mode of travel.

My father-in-law got a DUI cutting his grass and drinking beer.If you are in view of the general public it is the same to them as if you were riding it down the road.It is a "means of conveyance".

Tags
license