Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-01-2014, 13:43   #46

Boat: irwin 37 center cockpit
Re: Dream boat or Disaster?

with keel bolts that are threaded into the keel (as yours are) its easy to replace. they usually will come out with some p.b blaster and a pipe wrench. its not that big a deal. if they break off, just drill and tap, presto! so with a few hours you can replace them. only thing you could have a problem with is moisture/delamination. if the boat was grounded you could find that the keel box took a beating. you do not want this, as you will need to replace a lot of structural glass. replacing the engine is not that big of a deal, just a lot of time and some skin off the knuckles. make sure you mark everything, get a bunch of pictures when its coming out and you should be all set. with the running rigging check for kinks in the wires(those are bad) and while they are stainless, look for rust(that's bad too) look at the turnbuckels, if they are worn, replace them. its cheaper to do that than get a new mast and running gear. above all, don't let the yard do the work, they will rob you blind, and you will know less about your boat than when you started.

Old 26-01-2014, 14:33   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I suppose the psychiatrists have a special Latin name for 'people who want to be sued' but I wouldn't know what that is. (G)

Having boarded a vessel without the owner being present to answer "Come aboard!" and having opened the companionway and established my presence on board and below decks...I'd say I could be accused of many many things, and the act of lifting a bilge board (in secret, unobserved and alone except for the nannycam) to check the bilge wouldn't add to my paranoia about being sued. Sounds more like FUD being blown up someone's, ahem, stern quarters.

Just one man's uninformed speculation, based on a long range of "don't **** on my head and tell me it's raining" experiences.
Couldn't really follow that but I think I've just been insulted

Old 26-01-2014, 14:42   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I like your sentence better than mine.

I've owned six sailboats. The first was by far the cheapest. Keeping the water out and the mast up was never a sure thing. She was also definitely the most fun.
I don't think we want to admit how many girlfriends we've had... (boats 10-6sv)

I doubt that it was ever a problem keeping our masts up for the first girlfriends...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 16:17   #49

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'

If I had 10K more, or if I lived in Key west and had a job? I'd buy that boat in a second.

He sent me pics if the Keel bolts.The bolts themselves really don't look that bad. The area around them was filthy, but not visibly deformed at all. However the area was pretty filthy and kind of looked like sealant was used in a lot of areas (may have just been the black sludge that happens too).

The trouble is I live to far from the boat. I feel the keel should be dropped and have both the hull checked as well as the top of the Keel. Repacked, Attached, Ground deep and reglassed. Add the engine, transmission, paint, seals/gaskets, a ton of interior wood polishing, a new headliner, a number of round trip flights to Key West and the storage fees over the months it takes to do it all??

I just can't see it myself, where I am. Wish it had worked though. Like finding a 69 Camero SS for the price of a beat up Jetta. ... Then discovering it's really a 73 with a straight 6. lol
Old 26-01-2014, 17:18   #50
cruiser

Any chance of making a lower offer to make it a good deal? Tell the owner it sucks and offer 6k. That's the best way to buy boats, make many, many offers. It's possible that your 6k today is better that 10k in 5 months.
Old 26-01-2014, 18:04   #51
cruiser

I have been looking to upsize by 5 or 8 feet from my 32, and I have looked at several 38 to 40 ish boats that are priced right. Any boat in that size at around 10k is going to need lots if work. What did you expect for 12k? I assumed at that price that you were eager to rebuild it, new engine, drop keel and all else. The good deals are deals for tradesmen. Good deals for the hands off crowd are the 55k boats marked done from 85k.
You will find many of the same boat for 40k ish and don't think for a minute that those won't need 30k of work to be stylish cruisers. Your going to sink 30k in regardless of what you pay, so why not start with 8k in rather than 30k. Many people overspend thinking they'll do far less maintenance over the cheaper boat.
Old 26-01-2014, 18:33   #52
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

boatpoker-
"Couldn't really follow that but I think I've just been insulted "
Definitely not!
But the guy who gleefully ignored keel bolts might have been. Along with a lot of his friends.

Horror-
In the context of boats in the mid to upper 30-foot range:
"so why not start with 8k in rather than 30k." For the simpler reason that by the time a boat has deteriorated to the 8k range, there is usually such extensive damage that it is worth way way less than a $30k boat. Not just $22k less, but $45k less. Once the engine is gone, the bulkheads usually have problems, the deck is usually delaminated, the wiring is usually shot, water has sat and attacked everywhere...there's a difference between catching a recently neglected or underused boat, in the 30k range, and finding one in the "asking 8k" range, which usually means it is on the way to the scrap yard unless a rube, ergh, newbie with great dreams, can be found.

Not that you can't beat the odds, just that the odds are just like in Vegas: The house almost always wins.

Boatpoker will tell you, there's an iPhone app for DIY boat surveying. Everytime you approach one of those incredible $8k bargains, it booms out "DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER! DANGER!"
Old 26-01-2014, 20:16   #53
cruiser

The point I was making is jaded owners price high, the boat you should pay 8k for was probably listed at 30k two years ago, and 22k when you make your 8k offer. Every boat is different and many on here will never embrace buying cheap and fixing. Many boats are repowered and still using "new engine" as a selling point 12 years later. That's not worth a penny more than a 27 year old engine. I'd rather have new equipment installed by me.
Old 26-01-2014, 22:34   #54

Again I agree with fixing up a boat. I like the idea of buying on the hard too. I can SEE what I'm buying that way.

I also have no problem doing some work to the boat. It's just that that boat got to be a bit more then I thought I could handle, at the distance I am from the boat.

The seller CLAIMED he had a buyer at 1K less then he had us snagged on (I thought it was bull). However once it could take all summer and more then 3 trips to the Keys, to drop her in the drink?

My savings would be gone? What would be the point? Drive her to a ball and hang the for sale sign?

She's a dream boat, and if I thought for a second the guy would take 6K I'd pay him tomorrow. Buy a grinder and move to the Keys.
Old 27-01-2014, 01:34   #55

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Okay, I'll play devil's advocate. Why don't you offer him 5 or 6 k, and see what happens?

There are times when the sight of cash money movtivates people to sell things that they thought they wanted a higher price for--or at least, that's the folk wisdom.
Old 27-01-2014, 05:31   #56
cruiser

Thank you Ann, that's all I'm saying. Make the low offer and see. You never know. On another note I would find somewhere cheaper to fix. I'm in key west as we speak and this is not a place to do long term repairs. Slap a outboard on it and get to green cove where the haul is $1.75 a foot and the work yard is cheap. Grab 2 adventurous friends and make it your first voyage. Green cove is probably 5 times cheaper than the keys. Your be with 500 like minded people doing the same stuff. Secondly I dont get your "put it on a ball with a sign on it"? Are you implying you'll be outta time and need to sell? It take 6- 12 months to get most project boats going, so what if it sits for another 6 months when you get done while you make money, but at least you have a working boat. It sounds like your trying to buy and go with a set amount and time frame. No offense but it seems more and more that although you have thought this out, your trying to do this the way you planned, when many compromises is the norm. To do any big job on the hard you first need a yard that's into that sorta thing, there are not that many to cheaply meet your needs.
Old 27-01-2014, 09:06   #57

Your points are good Horror. However conveying every detail that has gone through my head, and all the things I'd need to do to get to the point you speak of, is FAR FAR worse then the owner originally let on.

First, it will need paint on the Hull right where it sits before getting wet.

Second, being on the hard it might leak through the hull, AT the Keel. So that needs work before going in the water (assuming).

Third, The guy said it needs an engine (totally true, water inside the engine destroyed it).

Fourth, it needs a transmission (again under water for who knows how long).

So, that covers most of what it really NEEDS! Pretty much all four will stop it from going in the water, or moving it to a cheaper yard. (which WAS my original plan). So $600 a month to get it in the water where it is. THAT was a HUGE factor.

This boat is just to much for me due to all these details. I wish it wasn't, but spending every single nickle I have, and going into debt, just to put THAT boat in the water is to much for me.

THUS, Why as soon as it was in the water,.. I'd have to sell it. I was planning on spending $20K total. Not $35K and be destitute.
Old 27-01-2014, 09:11   #58

May I add,... There's no shortage of great boats, for amazing prices out there. I'm sure I can find something else that will fit my situation better.

Granted it may not be a Beneteau 38, but I'm sure I can find a great boat.
Old 27-01-2014, 09:15   #59
cruiser

I hear your points, and agree there's a lot of cheap boats to be had. If you want to spend 12k look at the ones listed at 25k. Some of them are bound to go for less than half price.
Old 27-01-2014, 09:52   #60

Again I agree with you Horror.

I've found MANY boats on Craigs for $12K, and while investigating that boat I found the same boat on a Broker site for $25K. The broker sites don't like to drop their price, while the desperate owner will run an add on Craigs for far cheaper.

I'd also prefer to be closer to Galveston, Tx. or Washington State. Simply because flying to either, and slips at either one are much cheaper.

That 68 Islander I was looking at for example (it sold yesterday). It was $14K, but had many sets of sails and a recent good survey (maybe?? lol). Hauled and painted end of 2012. Sailed to Alaska last summer. Not quite as luxurious as a Beneteau, but a hardy sea worthy boat none the less.

Bummed it sold!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: