Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2014, 07:19   #16
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser
Re: Dream boat or Disaster?

It Depends, is the boat documented or is it state registered?

Here is a link.

How Do I Verify There Are No Liens on a Boat I Want to Buy? | eHow

Also a title check is obviously a good idea.

I know someone who traded a RV for a sailboat only to have the boat confiscated some months later when it was discovered the boat was stolen.

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/Coas...selByName.html
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 08:02   #17

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'

The surveyor basically told me he had no obligation to look at the Keel bolts. I should ask the owner for pictures. He then said he wouldn't go back to the boat for four days.

I had the owner on the phone before I spoke to the surveyor. He essentially said he had hit things with that deep keel, but that was before the 2006 survey. He might be willing to get a picture or three after he gets off work.

Oddly, I'm feeling far more comfortable now that I'm starting to think about finding another boat.
Vancefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 08:16   #18

Boat: hunter 376

I like your thread title, "Dream Boat or Disaster." From What I've seen on this site, the two are not mutually exclusive. Sounds like you may be joining a long list of people who buy "Dream Boat AND Disaster."
Good luck, keep us posted as to your progress.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 08:32   #19
cruiser

Sounds like you surveyor has a bad attitude. Keel bolts are super important on any boat with them. Makes you wonder what else he was completely unconcerned with. I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of surveyors just show up for the check. I personally would never consider hiring one. So you paid him to tell you nothing, let's have his name.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 09:02   #20

I just talked to the surveyor again. He said the laws won't let him operate or open compartments the owner doesn't want to open/expose. He's not allowed to turn valves either. So, the owner allowed the rest of the boat to be inspected. When asked about the Keel bolts he said they couldn't be exposed.

So, I told the owner that I need to see those Leading keel bolts, as well as the hull around them. He agreed to go get a picture in the morning.

Are old late 60's Islander sloops blue water capable?? rofl
Old 25-01-2014, 12:25   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Vancefish,

Do not accept pictures the owner takes. He has a very strong interest in your buying the boat. IMO, you need to have someone whom you can trust look at those studs and nuts, and inspect the interior for damage from keel impact. Too much flexing of the hull can lead to leaks, and the repair time consuming if you're competent to do it yourself, or expensive if you have a yard do it. The boat is on the hard for some reason....

Perhaps I'm too suspicious, but if you haven't the time to go see for yourself, and can't delegate this to another, you might want to walk away.

I hope it all works out for you.

Ann
Old 25-01-2014, 12:57   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancefish View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I even asked the surveyor to look at these bolts, but that didn't happen due to a bad bilge float they got running while the survey was happening. (Water came from a bad cockpit/engine bay gasket). The wind generator works to power the bilge pump. The float valve failed he said.
Oh... I see... The old cockpit gasket failure... Seen it... Uh Waht? You mean lazarette or hatch seal?

Also... I'm headed right down to my boat this second.... You've worrieeeeed me to death about my "float valve"

I really hope you didn't pay ANYTHING for this survey....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Vancefish,

... if you haven't the time to go see for yourself, and can't delegate this to another, you might want to walk away.

I hope it all works out for you.

Ann
+100

Disaster in the making unless you can verify it is not....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 13:30   #23

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Sorry to be a bunch of doom and gloom here, but my recent experience of a reputable surveyor in Australia did not leave me feeling confident in the them at all. Our surveyor missed a stack of stuff, some of would be extremely pricey if I did not have the time, tools and skills to fix it myself.

My advice is that whatever you buy you should have a very decent cash buffer between the purchase price and what you are comfortably able to pay. This might cover anything the surveyor missed or, like in my case, go towards paying for mistakes you might make early on when owning the boat.

Matt
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 13:44   #24

Boat: Cal 2-30

Quote:
I just talked to the surveyor again. He said the laws won't let him operate or open compartments the owner doesn't want to open/expose. He's not allowed to turn valves either......
Oh, that survey is going to tell you a lot.
crashkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 13:45   #25

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Oddly, I'm feeling far more comfortable now that I'm starting to think about finding another boat.
Thats God giving His 2 cents worth.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 14:08   #26

I'm pretty much agreeing with you all.

Like so many of us we can see a dream in the rough. I thought I'd found that diamond but sent the surveyor to find the "big flaw" I couldn't see from 1800 miles away. My plan was to fly down to the boat, look at it myself and pay the seller, IF the survey was good and clean (slightly to dingy for my wallet I think).

Granted, the surveyor may not have been the best spent $$ in my life? It may very well have been the smartest. Just the posted picture of the "smile" may have saved me more then $20,000!!!

Not bad for a little over $400.
Old 25-01-2014, 14:09   #27

Boat: P30

Beneteau First 38 for $12K?
you didn't say what year it is but a couple i see online are at least 3 times this boats asking price. the least expensive being a 1983 for 40K, the next one is also 1983 for 55K
and a complete survey isn't permitted? I don't know the year the first series started.
Old 25-01-2014, 14:10   #28

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

This is difficult for a newbie, but having a conversation with a prospective surveyor prior to hiring him is useful. One can ask specific questions like "will you inspect the keelbolts, rigging, electrical wiring, engine installation"... whatever you are interested in specifically. One can also request a copy of a previous report and see what he has covered.

Remember, he is going to be working for you (at a fairly high hourly wage) and you should get to decide what he does in your employ. It always bugs me when a surveyor spends a couple of hours noting down the serial numbers of installed equipment... tasks that you can do easily yourself at a lower pay scale!

But, as I said, knowing how to do this is hard for a newbie; they are kinda at the mercy of the gods!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 25-01-2014, 14:25   #29

Yeap! 12K. Add 12K more for engine and tranny. $700 for Keel bolts (assuming you can do Keel bolts yourself). Reglass that joint after stuffing and sealing it well. Paint top side and deck (tiny bit of deglazed gel coat on the deck). Spit and polish the interior. and you've got a $50,000 boat for about $30K.

It's a great deal if I HAD $30K.

If you sail it to the Mediterranean you might even get $60K!

edit: oh and all the exposed lines and pile of small stuff too
Old 25-01-2014, 15:36   #30

Boat: P30

Quote:
Yeap! 12K. Add 12K more for engine and tranny. $700 for Keel bolts (assuming you can do Keel bolts yourself). Reglass that joint after stuffing and sealing it well. Paint top side and deck (tiny bit of deglazed gel coat on the deck). Spit and polish the interior. and you've got a $50,000 boat for about $30K.

It's a great deal if I HAD $30K.

If you sail it to the Mediterranean you might even get $60K!

edit: oh and all the exposed lines and pile of small stuff too
okay that explains it. adds up fast.