Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2013, 21:54   #16

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Done a self survey yesterday have some questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
I have two of those furlers on our boat and they work well. Australian made by a company in the NSW town of Manilla (I wish I could remember their name).
The top casting is locked to the furler extrusion, and so is the furler drum.
The whole thing rotates around the forestay. There are no bearings at the top.
The wire which passes over the sheave in the top casting is the halyard, and is led down to the drum casting where it is tensioned by a small block and tackle arrangement. When you first fit the sail, this halyard needs to be temporarily lengthened by a rope tail.
This all spins together and is wrapped in the sail when furled.
The extrusion is under compression from the halyard loading.
It is all pretty foolproof an we have had 25 years of trouble free service out of it.
Regards,
Richard
That's it! The halyard is even tied off to a rope tail. This boat was Aussie made so it all makes sense. The furler would be as old as the boat and still looks like it has many years left in it. Do you know how it comes off the forestay? I've got a photo of the bottom of the drum and can't quite figure out how it would get past the swage. Cheers
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 22:01   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Corrosion on alloy pretty well always looks worse than it turns out to be but I would definitely do something about that mast step arrangement, the bottom plate looks buckled up.
It definitely has conformed to the surface of the fibreglass bed which has no doubt settled over the years. The deck head must be holding some share of the download from the mast as the post in the cabin is relatively light diameter wood. I think it will hold up ok for a year or two at least. After thinking about it I would eventually replace that component with a a hot dipped galvanised version of the same design but thicker foot rather than s/steel after building the f/glass back up to level underneath.
Old 13-10-2013, 22:49   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hudson 50 and Formossa 51

Yes Reefurl is the one they are simple and work well ,i think mine has a 5mm luff rope groove,To get it off i have a swagless norstar fitting at the bottom under the drum and when the forestay is undone the tube of the furler breaks down into 3mtr peices
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 23:12   #19

Why did the bilge fill with water on the hard? That's one hell of a leak, unless the cockpit filled up and the water poured over the companionway step...
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 00:00   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Why did the bilge fill with water on the hard? That's one hell of a leak, unless the cockpit filled up and the water poured over the companionway step...
Good question. Don't know the answer to that yet.Although the auto bilge pump was non functional and the anchor well drains to the bilge. I suspect, too, one or more of the port lights were left open.
Old 14-10-2013, 02:00   #21

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Taking one to bits is an interesting exercise. Funnily enough, I removed one a few days ago.
They cannot come off the stay without being dismantled first.
First, set up a temporary forestay.
Then if you undo the stay at the bottom and top after tying it to a halyard, you can lower it slowly and walk it out along a wharf that you are tied to. Try not to bend it too much.
There are two 1/4 whitworth screws securing the furler extrusions to the drum. There are also two for the top casting. Undo them ( could be easier said than done due to the corrosion in the threads, but an impact screwdriver helps).
Remove the forestay from the rigging screw. You will notice that the stainless retainers for the furling rope are welded to a nut that threads onto the end of the forestay. If you unwind this, and use a rubber hammer you can tap the drum and it should slide off the extrusion.
The extrusion is made in halves that slot into each other. Some are locked with more screws, some are not. Just slide them all apart and it will come off the stay. Mark them for reassembly before you dismantle.
There are also two screws in the drum. If you undo the screws, the bearing unit will pull out ( the balls will fall out everywhere ).
I had some problems with corroded screws. For the worst ones, I put it in the vyce with a screwdriver bit so the bit could not jump out of the screw slot and turned the bit with a spanner.
When you put it back together, use Loctite or similar.
Hope this makes sense, any queries just ask.

Regards,
Richard
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 02:36   #22
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

for the engine, i would worry.
the engine should be free, but not free. lol.
a high compression diesel should not be easy to turn, but if you had to work to get it to start turning, and then it turned, there could be a big issue. i guess they didnt fog the engine.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 04:46   #23

If the bot is on the hard, you didn't do a survey. You did half a survey. Insist that the seller put the boat in the water and get the engine running so that you can do a proper sea trial. If he refuses, run, don't walk away from this deal. There are just too many issues with this boat.

A good article on engine surveying is here: The Often Neglected and Frequently Misunderstood Engine Survey | PassageMaker
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 05:26   #24
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
If he refuses, run, don't walk away from this deal. There are just too many issues with this boat.
this is not true. if the price is right, anything short of a wet hull can be repaired.
if they are doing it themselves, it can be done cheaply.

i would say post up the make and model, and the price. we will give you our opinions on if your paying too much.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 05:01   #25

Hey thanks for the furler disassemble advice Richard, I'm going to file that!

Ok the boat is an 80's Nantucket Island 33 flush deck centre cockpit. Funky design but we think it will suit our purpose. If my research is any good, over here they are advertised for between about 50 to 80k and usually sell from around 45k up. This one needs TLC. The rigging is shot; the wiring and electronics are mostly shot; the interior wood work needs a good deal of revamping; the refrigeration is tired; and the plumbing looks like the mario brothers did it. On the positive side sails balance out to good, the hull is really good; the deck is ok (although there may be an area of delamination); it's already Australian registered and it comes with some extra goodies.

The big question mark is the motor. It was installed less than 2 years ago and has basically sat unused. It hasn't even had the first oil change yet, but has been left to pickle in brackish water that stopped just below the rear crankshaft seal. I had a mechanic out there today to get the starter working and test the motor and he tells me the flywheel is covered in heavy rust but the motor runs well and no water has entered the engine or gearbox. He says the engine will last forever BUT it needs to be pulled, split at the bellhousing and cleaned of rust and corrosion in that area, along with the replacement of a number of bolts.

We offered 35k, which was accepted. Considering we're able to do much of the work ourselves and a lot of that work can be done on the water without having to rent yard space, I think that this is a fair deal on the proviso the engine will not be likely to fail prematurely???
Old 15-10-2013, 11:22   #26

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
It definitely has conformed to the surface of the fibreglass bed which has no doubt settled over the years. The deck head must be holding some share of the download from the mast as the post in the cabin is relatively light diameter wood. I think it will hold up ok for a year or two at least. After thinking about it I would eventually replace that component with a a hot dipped galvanised version of the same design but thicker foot rather than s/steel after building the f/glass back up to level underneath.
You might consider say 3" x 3" x 1/4" square hollow section alloy tube for the compression post and if you want it painted get it powder coated.

On the engine. There is nothing too technical or tricky about pulling it out and splitting the gearbox from the bell housing. My previous engine was a Yanmar 3GM 30 and I was able to remove and replace the gearbox a couple of times without pulling the engine from the boat.

If you do the job yourself and remove the flywheel to de-rust and paint it you need to be sure to tighten the flywheel bolts to the manufacturers recommendation when you re-assemble it.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey