Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2019, 17:27   #1

Boat: Mirage 35
Do you pay for true LOA?

I probably should have put this in the "off-topic" forum, because it's hardly a serious concern, but I'm curious.

For marinas and other services, do you report true LOA for payment purposes, or do you fudge it?

Our boat's design length is 35', but from anchor roller to davits she measures 38'. The first year in our current marina I paid for 35 because nobody, me included, knew better, but I now pay for 38. When I visit elsewhere I tell them she's 38 feet.

My rationale is:
1. I'm honest.
2. For the home marina I want to keep a good relationship and I (really, really) appreciate their services.
3. When in other marinas I want to ensure that I get an adequate slip.

Some people tell me I'm naive and should report 35, but it's hardly going to make a difference to my budget. So, what does the crowd think?

Old 11-05-2019, 18:31   #2

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Do you pay for true LOA?

I’m with you.

We have a Formosa 41 that measures 50’ from davits to end of bowsprit.

In the northeast US I tell the Marinas I have a Formosa 41 with a bowsprit and dinghy davits that extend the length beyond 41’. Most marinas tell me they will charge for 41’.

I Key West there are no breaks. I tell them the same thing and they charge for all 50’.

But I wouldn’t approach any marina without telling them I’m a 41 with additional bowsprit and davits. To me it wouldn’t be honest.

Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 21:21   #3

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Most marinas on the left coast will charge for overall length. If you are looking for a permanent slip don't play games with them as you could end up with no slip. That happened to us with our Westsail 32. Found a good deal on a max 35' slip in Long Beach. We were in the slip a couple of days when the marina cops showed up at the boat and kicked us out of the slip. If you didn't know a Westsail 32 with self steering vane is closer to 42' in over all length on a hull length of 32'.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 21:37   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

I would not sweat it to much.

If you go into a say 40' pen with a 30' boat many of them are still going to charge you for a 40' pen. The overall length thing probably started when all vessels moored in a harbour were tied up "along side" and was then misapplied when pen type moorings proliferated.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 23:52   #5

Doesn't your registration provide the loa?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 23:53   #6

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Haha I just send the girls to do the chatting along the lines of: We're kinda bad at math, but we're 16 meters on paper, 18 over the water, so that averages to about 14 meters right? Might not always work, but we almost always get a discount. And sometimes we get the 14 m price in an 18 m slip

*to be fair, if we get any discount, we work the dock like marinaros helping people come in. if not, we sit on our butts and watch the show
Sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:51   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

In the Med they use something called meters - hum --- we are 40' so we say 40' or 12m as that is the cut off point by cost. some of the smarter ones say no 40' is 12.1m so you pay more.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:08   #8

Boat: 42' Sportfish

In a transient situation, if you need 38' (your LOAfor example) plus a couple on either end (42'), but reserve for only 35'... you might find yourself trying to squeeze into a 39' slot...

We've been in along-side slots where our pulpit was over the cockpit of the boat ahead... and the pulpit of the boat behind was over our dinghy. No room to spare at all, and reserving that space by "model number length" (instead of LOA) wouldn't have worked at all.

-Chris
Old 12-05-2019, 06:19   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalina 36 (1999)

Our current berth charges by dock-foot, so it doesn't matter if we store a 10-foot dingy or a 36-foot boat, it's still a 36-foot dock. When we travel, we give the design LOA - 36' or 11 m. In reality, LOA includes permanently mounted attachments, so bowsprits and swim platforms should be in there. Bendy and removable stuff, folding davits, extendable bowsprits, outboard motors, should not count. My LOA is on my registration and manufacturer's documents. If you want to get a tape measure out, then let's talk about how well you maintain proper voltage at my dock stanchion, it's about as silly.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:08   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

You pay for dry storage time while they "work you into the schedule" for the travel lift. You pay if the travel lift is out of service. You pay to wait for their contractor, who can't show up.

They can rent the slips as transient if the owner is away, but the owner does not see any of that.

They charge a fee to off-site contractors.

Some boats are shorter than the model number. I've had two like that.

I pay based on the model number. The davits on my PDQ did not extend past the transom, but it had been stretched 2 feet and the dinghy extends a few more feet. Oh well.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:10   #11

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-(Oberly build) - Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I would not sweat it to much.

If you go into a say 40' pen with a 30' boat many of them are still going to charge you for a 40' pen. The overall length thing probably started when all vessels moored in a harbour were tied up "along side" and was then misapplied when pen type moorings proliferated.
If your boat is 30' and the slip is 40',you'll be paying for the slip lenght or the boat LOA,which ever is longer.
It's fair, been that way forever. Unless you've got friends that you can dicker with.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:14   #12

You can try to make sure whatever hangs off of your boat can be rotated or removed temporarily.
Some marinas will allow some "overhang", usually a few feet.
Cheers
SV Cloud Duster
Old 12-05-2019, 08:22   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are quite a few marinas that charge by slip size. You rent either a 40 ft slip or a 35 foot slip or a 30 ft slip, no matter how long your boat is.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Doesn't your registration provide the loa?
Probably not, my reg. says 32' but the bow sprit is 4', and Hangs low enough to cause it to protrude over the dock into the walkway.
That would be impeding the dock walk way.
If I come in stern first, that might fly.
But I don't back in. My issue.
SV Cloud Duster
Old 12-05-2019, 08:25   #15

Its the length of the place you need to place the boat that is the important measure, not the length of the boat's LOA, LWL. Dock length required to moor properly.

I hate seeing boats placed in slips that are shorter than the boats LOA or even close to the LOA as that means something is sticking out over the dock or in the fairway, or crowding a boat along the wharf.

A boat should not have anything extend beyond the end of a finger pier.

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa