Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 10:03   #16

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27
Re: Do you have to have your boat surveyed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Whether required or not, I recognize my lack of experience makes paying for at least informal assistance critical to me choosing a boat that won't cost the world to fix up.

The cheaper the price the more important that aspect is.

Spending $1000 on a surveyor to help me choos the right $3000 boat makes perfect sense to me.
Just spent around $800 for survey and haul out for my "new" Catalina 27. Don't regret it at all..... Learned so much about the boat..... was able to negotiate a better purchase price.... will not need to hire a surveyor for my next boat upgrade!
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:44   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

If you are getting a loan then your lender will probably require it. Your insurance company will probably require it as well. If you are paying cash and your insurance does not require one then getting a survey is an excellent idea regardless.

Try to get a survey with your boat out of the water.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:21   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph221980 View Post
Have you seen this much? I can understand if your doing a long stay at the marina but week long stuff would seem crazy. I guess insurance can't be much for a shitty boat.
The marinas dont care if your boat is insured for damages, what they may require is proof of liability coverage...in case your shitty boat causes damage to the marina and non-shitty boats.

Its not an uncommon requirement in the USA.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 15:33   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I guess insurance can't be much for a shitty boat."
On the contrary, it may be very expensive or simply unavailable.
Just as with cars, there is physical loss coverage for the boat, and then there is liability for the damage you may cause to others. If my boat is worth $100,000 and yours is worth $2000....either one of us could t-bone a half million dollar yacht, sink it, and be stuck with the same bill.
Your insurer will want to know not only what your boat is, but what experience, credentials, safety courses and operator training you have had. Along with all the usual "insurer" questions, like your job, educational level, age, marital status, eye color....whatever they are basing their rates on.
Some insurers won't issue liability coverage without physical coverage on the boat. Others will. For a smaller cheaper boat? Your auto, homeowners, or renters policy may be a reasonable source for covering the small boat as well. The coverage often cuts corners, but it does offer something for a lower price.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 16:32   #20

Boat: Catalina 30

For my current boat I did not get a survey and my insurance did not require me to do so, but she is a lower value boat and I do not have any form of casualty insurance just liability, to the tune of 500k and I only pay 140 ish dollars a year but the policy is over a decade old, don't know if that happens to have anything to do with it ....
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 16:49   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

If you do decide to hire a surveyor ...... Choosing the Right Surveyor deserves as much attention as choosing your boat
Old 06-08-2018, 17:51   #22

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
If you do decide to hire a surveyor ...... Choosing the Right Surveyor deserves as much attention as choosing your boat
I wish I have read that before hiring my surveyor....
Thanks a million.
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 18:08   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrailleur View Post
I wish I have read that before hiring my surveyor....
Thanks a million.
You're welcome .... now try Marine Survey 101
Old 06-08-2018, 19:29   #24

Boat: TBD

I’m in the process of purchasing a used 45 ft Sea Ray Sundancer. So far the finance co. has not noted a survey is required. However the two insurance co. Do.

Most marinas within the area I want to be in require 500k liability. You can do various agreed values too but they almost double the cost. I was shocked at the cost of insurance. My 65k streetrod was “only “ about 450 for 100% greed value and state required other insurances. Boat insurance is $2200 for the liability and agreed value plus Misc items

I just got the bill for classic car insurance for my 77 El Camino SS $171 full coverage and 15k agreed value.

I can see the liability coverage needed but there must be a lot of big claims to bring this high of price. In 5 years I will need to have at least punched a hole in a half million dollar boat to break even.

Many co. Either want 5 years experience in the type and size or you get hit with a big surcharge. They only give minor deductions for boating classes.

I feel a Colinostocopy coming..LOL

BYRON
Bentwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 23:16   #25

Boat: Bavaria 35E

Boat U.S. is usually good for insuring lesser value craft.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 23:56   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph221980 View Post
Have you seen this much? I can understand if your doing a long stay at the marina but week long stuff would seem crazy. I guess insurance can't be much for a shitty boat.
If you look at the paperwork and rules (they may not give you a copy unless you ask), almost all require liability insurance (the marina's insurance usually requires that). They may or may not ask for it but unless you are going to lie to the marina, you are on the hook for it.

Cost is a catch 22, if your boat is in poor condition, you are a greater risk. A junky boat is more likely to have the motor cut out trying to get into a slip and do $10k in damage to the $500k boat in the next slip over.

If it's a cheap boat and you can put it on with you home/auto sometimes, you might get around it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 16:17   #27

Boat: TBD

I just got the quote from US Boat and on a boat about the same value as one of my classic cars it’s only a dollars higher for agreed value and 500 k liability plus a number of other boats things. No bad I guess. The nice thing is that I can use the boat as much as I like where classic car ins is often limited to going to car related things. Mine cover all the time however except driving to work. I use my semi classic Buick station wagon for that.

Hopefully I’ll be an official owner in a week or so. I’m excited.

Byron
Bentwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, survey