Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2016, 19:00   #1

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Discount off Charter List Price (BVI)

After seeing all the boat price 'specials' on charter packages in Annapolis, I thought it would be interesting to see how these stack up to alternative discounts. Would be interested to hear how other people find discounted sailboat charters.

The Catamaran Company: 15% off list if you reference the boat show (similar at Moorings/Sunsail, BVI Yacht Charters, etc. I imagine). Importantly, you don't actually have to book at the show, just reference it within a couple of weeks.

Special Offers at Sunsail Sunsail actually publishes a discount list here. Anywhere from 5% to 25% off list.

Swain Sailing: 10% discount on charters if you've taken a class with them.

One-way Charters: Return a charter co's boat for them that someone else took to another location (I've heard references up to 50% off, but often an uphill run). Need to call the charter company and hunt around for these.

Owner's Time: Apparently owners sometimes sell their weeks directly to other people. How or when this happens is pretty unclear.

Shoulder Season/Additional people: These aren't discounts off list so aren't really relevant here - but obviously you can save money by loading more people on or going during non-peak times.

Any other ways people have received discounts off list? Last-minute bookings, direct negotiation, etc.? Thanks from this 'frugal' sailor!
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 19:50   #2

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42
Re: Discount off Charter List Price (BVI)

Brownoarsman<

Different Charter companies have different rules regarding owner usage and direct from owner charter. Sailonline.com has some as well as traveltalkonlin.com.

Some owners have their own website such as mine- BareboatBVI.com (as we had not settled on a name of the boat before developing a website.... My boat "Sea Tiger " is a Lagoon 42 and is enroute to BVI at this time, sailing from France and will arrive in Tortola TOMORROW!

With my charter company, owners are allowed/encouraged to charter directly. The discount varies on the time of year and other factors. I will sometimes give additional discount if charterer will "bookend" close to another set of blocked dates(either on start or finish of charter dates) as it leaves room for additional charters... i.e. 1-2 days between charters instead of 4-5 days.

Also the greatest discount goes to those who can be flexible... booking 'Last Minute" , 4-6 weeks out.

Email me at SailSeaTiger@gmail for more information
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 03:42   #3

Thanks Deep cut for sharing your site and the additional resources. Your boat looks beautiful and I hope had a safe journey across!

This year we are targeting a 35' Gemini but I hope to reach out in years to come when a bigger boat will be more desirable. I've sailed monos up to 50' and cats up to 36', but want to get a bit more experience on smaller twin diesel cats before helming a leopard-they are big enough to look intimidating!)

Do you know if all the rest of the charter company contract remains intact when buying owner's time: e.g. charter company takes the cat to the fuel dock, insurance is still part of the package (I would hope so!), etc.

It seems like they might just view buying owner's time as an alternative sales channel, and give nice discounts all around

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-10-2016, 04:10   #4

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

I cannot speak for all charter companies other than mine, but the only difference in mine is the booking procedure. Once on island all is handled exactly the same as any other customer. They even arrange Taxi pickup from airport or ferry.

With my charter company(TMM), the time you charter is not booked as "owner time" as owners can use as much time as they like. It is "Owner acting as broker".

The check out is the same. The service is the same.(I don't think the base staff knows who you booked through. Same as if booking through a broker).

If you have any issues, chase boat from base.

I do believe most(if not all) charter companies are similar in regards to servicing owner-time bookings.

The value of your charter, at the core, is based on the quality of the charter company, both short term (While you are on the boat) and long term (ongoing maintenance). The charter companies (IMHO) should view you as a future repeat charter, or even potential owner.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 04:37   #5

This makes a lot of sense. Thanks so much for your very informative detailing of the process!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
charter, price