Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 15:54   #46

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Defender Marine Price More Than Double Competition

Last week I bought a Garmin hand held Chartplotter from West Marine. By far the best price I could find so you just never know. I don't really understand bitching about anyone's prices. All you have to do is shop around which is pretty simple these days. One thing Ebay has taught me is to always include shipping when comparing prices.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 17:32   #47

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

Within the past year, I have found West Marine to be very competitive on several major (> $1000 each) purchases including an IsoTherm refrigeration refit, HP air floor 10'2" dingy, and Jabsco electric fresh water flush toilet. Other items, not so much. Be sure to consider the net price after accounting for shipping (free at WM), taxes (free at Defender), triple points (equals 12% discount at WM). Triple points are given at least twice a year at WM, so I plan my major purchases accordingly. The dingy was just lowest price when it was on sale without triple points ... so some items are just good deals at face value. YMMV. Alan
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 17:58   #48

A good thing to do with both Defender & West Marine is sign up for emails. Defender runs sales all the time but you need to link from the email to get the sale prices. West Marine has sales every week. Hamilton Marine runs a lot of sales & clearances a lot of stuff. All 3 sell some different stuff & are worth checking out. I always check Ebay too.
Old 01-12-2015, 18:36   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

As posted by others there are many factors to consider when making a large purchase. One thing may be warranty. If there is a US or North American distributor for a product, you can be sure they will not honor it if you purchase from Italy or anywhere out of their distribution area.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 19:30   #50

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSailor View Post
Yo, Windbag! Say, you are in the Northeast. Could you possibly have an interest in Defender? Seems you have gone to a lot of trouble and research to justify them charging double. Just wondering why a disinterested party would do that.

I was curious about your comments and tried to find a US vendor with a far better price. I couldn't. I am not trying to "justify them charging double". You have presented no evidence that there is a US source for that item that charges half what Defender and West Marine are charging.

As I mentioned, I worked there for a year. I made an hourly wage not quite on par with the warehouse workers mentioned in another thread (great people, btw) as a part time electronics desk salesperson and have no financial interest whatsoever in the company. I've also been a customer since 1976. You don't like them, I get it. I do. I still comparison shop, especially for bigger ticket items. Nobody has the best price for everything.

We all have so many choices about where to spend our money.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 20:41   #51

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk View Post
I was curious about your comments and tried to find a US vendor with a far better price. I couldn't. I am not trying to "justify them charging double". You have presented no evidence that there is a US source for that item that charges half what Defender and West Marine are charging.

He saying the same item in Europe sells for 1163 EUR so if you do the conversion to USD it should be $1234, not $1800.

He picked out Defender but it makes you wonder... why DOES everyone charge that much for the item in the USA. Shipping charges can't be that much. Maybe duties? Maybe the european vendor just likes to screw with US vendors?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 23:40   #52
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Did defender stop beating their Wife yet?

Not doing boat shows is a sign of success not failure....as I sit on a redeye flight to the St Pete boat show. Do you have any idea what the show carnie circut costs a company? Mucho Tacos Amigo. I would much rather stay home on the boat and just give the boat show money back to the customers in the form of lower prices.

I may try that one year. Do no shows and just give everyone that buys during the show dates $500 off the cost....I come out the same without the travel circus and the client wins...I like it.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:06   #53

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Defender used to have very fair prices. They are rarely competitive any lone. Example: A marine refrigerator Isotherm Bl 75 is sold by Defender for more than $1800 U.S. The regular (not on sale) price is 1163 Euros on a European website and that includes a VAT (value added tax) of 22% which is not applied if the item is shipped out of the Euro zone. Thus the actual price in U.S. dollars would be $907.14--Less than half of Defender's price.
Defender did not make an appearance at this year's Annapolis boat show, the first time ever. I wonder if they are about to go bankrupt and if this could explain their change in pricing structure. I used to buy thousands of dollars of equipment from them but they are no longer competitive.
You can see for yourself by going to this website: I wonder why the Isotherm BL 75 is sold by Defender for $1824.95 while being offered by a European website for 1163 Euros minus the 22% VAT which would make the actual price $907.14 in U.S. dollars. Defender price is more than double. There must be an explanation for this very large difference. In any case, please give me your best price and explain why you can not match the French price. Here is the French website showing the item with price.
http://www.yachtshop.it/produit_osculati/5004200/Osculati%20-%20R%C3%A9frigerateur%20BI75%2075%20litres
In support of the low price this web site in Germany:
Fridge Isotherm stainless steal front
Volume: 85 Liter 787,80 - minus 18% VAT
here: segelladen.de - Kühlschränke - Bootszubehör

Nic
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:37   #54

Sometimes, and maybe in this case, if a product is produced in Europe and sold in Euros, the exchange rate change can be significant. Not too long ago it was 1.3 Dollars to Euros, today it is 1.06
WestChesterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:45   #55

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Defender's prices are way up. It's the American way. You under-price your competition until people trust you and/or you run your competition out of business, and then you jack your prices up and reap the reward.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:54   #56

I suspect that since a post on the first page pointed out that is suspicious 'click-bait' I'm guessing that the next four pages are replies from people who read the first 1-2 posts, then hit reply. LOL!!

Defender backing out of the Boat Show circuit only makes sense. Trade Shows are a Manufacturer to Consumer model. Chandleries are an ackward booth at a show. You don't really write a lot of sales because the inventory is far too vast. At best, it's a very expensive catalogue stand which has a very difficult time drawing a correlation between cost and revenue.

Remember, it's not just the cost of the Booth. It is shipping the booth itself and show materials, flying the show attendees to the location, hotel and food for show attendees.

Having done trade shows for many years (in other industries), I can assure you the cost/benefit analysis is scrutinized heavily on a yearly basis. they may also be doing shows, just not specific shows.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:34   #57
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Defender used to have very fair prices. They are rarely competitive any lone. Example: A marine refrigerator Isotherm Bl 75 is sold by Defender for more than $1800 U.S. The regular (not on sale) price is 1163 Euros on a European website and that includes a VAT (value added tax) of 22% which is not applied if the item is shipped out of the Euro zone. Thus the actual price in U.S. dollars would be $907.14--Less than half of Defender's price.
Defender did not make an appearance at this year's Annapolis boat show, the first time ever. I wonder if they are about to go bankrupt and if this could explain their change in pricing structure. I used to buy thousands of dollars of equipment from them but they are no longer competitive.
You can see for yourself by going to this website: I wonder why the Isotherm BL 75 is sold by Defender for $1824.95 while being offered by a European website for 1163 Euros minus the 22% VAT which would make the actual price $907.14 in U.S. dollars. Defender price is more than double. There must be an explanation for this very large difference. In any case, please give me your best price and explain why you can not match the French price. Here is the French website showing the item with price.
http://www.yachtshop.it/produit_osculati/5004200/Osculati%20-%20R%C3%A9frigerateur%20BI75%2075%20litres
You need to compare landed cost to your location.

It may be a great deal from the other retailer, but maybe not so much as you believe.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:10   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, WestChesterJoe.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:46   #59

Here's the new sale:

Discount Marine and Boat Supplies - Inflatable Sales - Defender
Old 02-12-2015, 11:07   #60

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

It seems to me that this trolling thread needs to be shut down.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender, marine, price