Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 13:29   #1

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16
Customs Fees

Can one find out what the customs fees will be before sailing? Do you need cash in the local currency? I think Mexico will let you use a credit card if you let them know before the paper work is started. As far as I can tell for Mexico, Have a pass port, fishing license, Q flag. A courtesy flag can be bought at port but handy to have it already? Thanks
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 13:41   #2

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, Mate. No fees yet to clear in and out of New Zealand. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 14:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearsteer View Post
Can one find out what the customs fees will be before sailing? Do you need cash in the local currency? I think Mexico will let you use a credit card if you let them know before the paper work is started. As far as I can tell for Mexico, Have a pass port, fishing license, Q flag. A courtesy flag can be bought at port but handy to have it already? Thanks
In Mexico you often pay fees at a nearby bank. Where local currency is best but not required. Never paid a Custom fee, but Immigration and Port fees, yes. Q flag is not expected in western Mexico. You are expected to have the Courtesy flag hoisted at all reasonable times.

On first entry there's an immigration fee of maybe USD27 ??? per person and a small port fee. If they want some "other fee" simply ask for a receipt and it will be "waived".
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 16:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi View Post
G'day, Mate. No fees yet to clear in and out of New Zealand. Cheers.
How about OZ? I hear they are high.
Old 06-08-2010, 17:19   #5

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
During our circumnavigation, the only thing we used to pay fees for clearing in and out was U.S. Dollars. Dollars always worked fine wherever they wanted cash. A few places took a credit card. Most out of the way places wanted dollars.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:26   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Noonsite is a good source of customs/immigration requirements and other information cruisers need.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:49   #7

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearsteer View Post
How about OZ? I hear they are high.
Being an Aussie I am embarrassed by the fees and hassles our government puts cruising boats through. They have you at the end of the Pacific Milk Run and they know it !
jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:11   #8

I have looked at noonsight, I have gone to the Mexican Government web pages etc. I must be blind as I can't find set amounts. Its a good thing I have radar on board. If it could only see port and check in fees. Most web pages seem to be set up for more conventional means of travel like cruise ships and airlines. Is $75 USD for two people on board a good average to check in and out of most countries. I have heard that OZ wants $600 USD to check in and if your antifoul bottom paint isn’t up to their standards they made you put on the hard and paint it. Is that true? I like to know what things are going to cost before hand or should I say what they are supposed to cost.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:52   #9

Boat: Mason 53
G'day again, mates. New Zealand does not have any antifoul requirements at this point. They will take your uncanned meat, fresh vegetable, dairy, etc. We had our last turkey coming out of the oven when we cleared customs. They were going to take it, but were nice enough to let us have our feast and then they came back to take away the bones!!! Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:53   #10

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Quote:
No customs fees anywhere unless you want to import your boat to that country.
For Mexico, about $25 per person for visas, about $10 for API harbor fees if your harbor has a port authority, and around $0.80 per night for anchoring in most big harbors.
You can get your temporary import permit there; you may or may not want to get your personal fishing licenses beforehand - about $48 per person per year. And you should have a courtesy flag to fly as soon as you are cleared in. I haven't seen anyone use a Q flag.
You also will need ship's documentation or state registration for your boat and a crew list to check in.
Personally I would never use a credit card in Mexico; ATM machines are almost everywhere. You should consider taking some pesos along anyway - it involves an element of respect for the country, pesos are always received, and you will get a much better exchange rate from a bank than from a vendor.

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 13:35   #11

I like the sound of New Zealand. They sound like they don’t mind cruisers spending time and money there! Thanks for the info guys.

Tags
customs, fees