Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2013, 08:50   #1
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Cuba to scrap two-currency system

For the non USA cruisers, this is great news. For those USA cruisers who somehow are able to go to Cuba, it is also great news.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-24627620
__________________

__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 09:42   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Cuba to scrap two-currency system

nothing like a good healthy black market for the local currency! if you have dollars!
but untill they use only the greenback,this could back fire badly,even if slightly fairer for the populace using the covertable peso.
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 10:06   #3
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Cuba to scrap two-currency system

it may be good news for cruisers, though I dont see how it is, it may be good news for the locals, but it could years to introduce and potentially lead to inflation for ordinary cubans.

dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 10:13   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Cuba to scrap two-currency system

hopefully the cubans will discover oil soon!
then it will really be a cruisers paradise,cheap fuel,cheap booze,cheap cigars and a rampant black market for dollars,making every thing else cheap as well..............
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 10:48   #5
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Cuba to scrap two-currency system

Quote:
then it will really be a cruisers paradise,cheap fuel,cheap booze,cheap cigars and a rampant black market for dollars,making every thing else cheap as well..............
yeah and then the westerners arrive, result , cruiser hell hole, dear booze, dear marinas, etc etc. but hey the marinas get "nicer" and medallion man appears.....

dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 11:02   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Cuba to scrap two-currency system

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
yeah and then the westerners arrive, result , cruiser hell hole, dear booze, dear marinas, etc etc. but hey the marinas get "nicer" and medallion man appears.....

dave
madagasgar suddenly sounds a lot more appealing.........perhaps we can use cuba as a decoy instead
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 11:12   #7
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Cuba to scrap two-currency system

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
madagasgar suddenly sounds a lot more appealing.........perhaps we can use cuba as a decoy instead
not a bad idea

HEY EVERYONE, go visit Cuba, leave the others places alone ( for me, an Atoll)

dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 12:34   #8
Registered User
 
SabreKai's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada on Lake Ontario
Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Posts: 1,287
Images: 5
Re: Cuba to scrap two-currency system

I'll never forget my first trip to Cuba. Got in late because of problems with the baggage carousel, and got to the hotel after the dining room closed. We talked them into feeding us, and after the meal I put out a tip. Gave the waiter the smallest note I had, a 10CUC tip.

The entire dining staff was on us like white on rice for the rest of the trip. Super fabulous service, all we had to do was glance at the waiters and they were there. They put a reserved sign on our table. As soon as they saw us walking towards the dining room, the drinks were there by the time we got there. Ask the chef for something a bit out of the ordinary, and they made it up on the spot.

Turned out I'd tipped the fellow a months pay.

When I flew out, I handed out all my remaining CUCs and all the stuff I'd brought with me. I'll be going back there for certain.
__________________
SabreKai
SV Sabre Dance, Roberts Offshore 38
http://sabredancing.wordpress.com/
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 13:07   #9
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Cuba to scrap two-currency system

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
I'll never forget my first trip to Cuba. Got in late because of problems with the baggage carousel, and got to the hotel after the dining room closed. We talked them into feeding us, and after the meal I put out a tip. Gave the waiter the smallest note I had, a 10CUC tip.

The entire dining staff was on us like white on rice for the rest of the trip. Super fabulous service, all we had to do was glance at the waiters and they were there. They put a reserved sign on our table. As soon as they saw us walking towards the dining room, the drinks were there by the time we got there. Ask the chef for something a bit out of the ordinary, and they made it up on the spot.

Turned out I'd tipped the fellow a months pay.

When I flew out, I handed out all my remaining CUCs and all the stuff I'd brought with me. I'll be going back there for certain.
I have friends with a similar experience.

It's not like the Cubans will do anything for money... they're fairly well educated as a rule and have pride in their country, but take the typical Caribbean economic considerations, add to that a command-economy, and a 50+ year-old embargo from a close neighbour... and it makes for tough times. A decent tip or other consideration is a pittance for us, but a big deal for them.

Elimination of the two-currency system will help spread the tourist income a bit. When Uncle Fidel finally kicks, watch for big changes.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 14:09   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
Blue Stocking's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Georges, Bda
Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Posts: 4,117
Re: Cuba to scrap two-currency system

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
yeah and then the westerners arrive, result , cruiser hell hole, dear booze, dear marinas, etc etc. but hey the marinas get "nicer" and medallion man appears.....

dave
--the way it was before Castro. (substitute marinas for anything buyable)
__________________
so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 15:06   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,055
Re: Cuba to scrap two-currency system

Well, they could just ditch the local scrip and start honoring Polynesian Francs. That would teach the US a good lesson in economic interests, too. (WEG)
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 15:38   #12
Registered User
 
rognvald's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: In the land of Wooly Mammoths
Boat: Pearson 34-II
Posts: 2,252
Images: 2
Re: Cuba to scrap two-currency system

I think Raul is preparing for the onslaught of American tourism and dollars as they prepare to re-establish relations with the US. There's no softening of the heart with the brutal Castros'. They're broke. Communism is broke. They need the money. And the thousands of decent Cubans who were forced to leave their homeland, their families, their homes, their businesses and their lives and emigrate to the US . . . what do they get?
__________________
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 15:49   #13
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
And the thousands of decent Cubans who were forced to leave their homeland, their families, their homes, their businesses and their lives and emigrate to the US . . . what do they get?
Well.. Supersized fast food meals And the chance to vote for rand Paul in 2016?
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 15:59   #14
Registered User
 
rognvald's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: In the land of Wooly Mammoths
Boat: Pearson 34-II
Posts: 2,252
Images: 2
Re: Cuba to scrap two-currency system

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Well.. Supersized fast food meals And the chance to vote for rand Paul in 2016?
GBN,
Sometimes humor is the best antidote for tragedy.
__________________

__________________
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.