Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 16:34   #46

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
It really depends on what you define as living.

It is different with everyone. Some like isolation and others surrounded buy people, some like fish some red meats, some like beer other like/ require Rum or some lesser sprit....... it all depends on what live means to you.

To just live day to day as a minimalist or grab a bite of everything every day and every where in between.

This is a question that can never be answerer for everyone as everyone had different views of what life and living are. Personally I want to live as much as possible Not just be live. I want to arrive at my death saying "Wow what a ride" not just slip into a grave gradually day by day. Others feel different and that is what is great about people ..... we are different and want / like different thing and can get by just fine at different levels. It is not a social-economic event.... it is life what it takes for you is never the same as for another person.
Old 11-12-2009, 17:13   #47

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
Sterling Hayden was a very rare breed; literally an outlaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
thats one way to do it... steal along the way!
What I was refering to was his sailiing to Tahiti aboard Wanderer with Spike Africa and, against court orders Sterling's kids. A bit more serious than running from the tax man (and he may have been dodging him too).

But back to the original thread; cruising for $500 / mo. - I think it's doable but boils down to personal lifestyle; ultra minimalist to gold plater. Do you prefer challenge or comfort and security?
Old 11-12-2009, 17:14   #48

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
I'm gonna be rude here: If you need to ship 30 bottles of expensive rum in order to go cruising, you can sail to the ends of the Earth and never lose whatever is haunting you...How much does cruising cost? How much have you got?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 17:28   #49

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
I'm gonna be rude here: If you need to ship 30 bottles of expensive rum in order to go cruising, you can sail to the ends of the Earth and never lose whatever is haunting you...How much does cruising cost? How much have you got?

I think you've not been to the Bahamas. Rum is very cheap there. I load up because I always try to buy whatever product where it is cheapest. All that rum cost less than one gallon of Pettit Trinidad Pro antifouling paint. That's the secret of inexpensive cruising. Load up where the deal's are best. Maybe I should have posted a picture of my toilet paper purchase in Fernandina Beach. You might have understood that better. By the way, if your counting is as accurate as your navigation, don't leave the dock.
Old 11-12-2009, 17:44   #50

Boat: 1980 Cape Dory 30' Cutter - Swift Ranger
I'll chime in for the "younger generations"

My wife and I lived for 8 months on our Cape Dory 30 right out of college and had a $400 a month budget. This included the $150 Bahama entry fee. I have to admit, it kind of ruined the trip. We ate out a total of 4 times, and didn't do anything other than read, write, and go exploring. When we do it again, we are planning on an $800 a month budget.

When you have no options - or choice for the matter - you make it work. All repairs were done by us, all the food was prepared by us, and we always were at anchor. We only stayed at a marina 4 nights the whole trip. At times we felt like Sal Paradise and Dean Moriaty, but it was all in good fun.

Anyways, If the dream outweighs the luxuries that typically go along with that dream, you still end up happy.

-Patrick
PaddyoRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 18:39   #51

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Maybe I should have posted a picture of my toilet paper purchase in Fernandina Beach.
You buy TOILET PAPER!?! Geesh, no wonder your cruising costs more than $500/month!! Such luxury...
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 19:54   #52

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Costs vary wildly with seemingly minor changes.

If you stay in marinas even a part of the time the money spends quickly.

Here are some real numbers.

Your results will vary, but you probably have a pretty good idea already
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:01   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I think you've not been to the Bahamas. By the way, if your counting is as accurate as your navigation, don't leave the dock.
I've been all over the Bahamas. I just don't need a crap load of strong liquor to enjoy cruising. Either does Springbok if he likes to keep it cheap. You've got a 15 + year supply for us right there. BTW, if your drinking is hard as it looks, dont leave the dock.

Old 12-12-2009, 23:22   #54

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I only counted a 28 day supply...another 20 for the beer aboard...were going to need a bigger boat Vasco..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 03:45   #55
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I think quite doable. Just a matter of perspective. Seems the worst hangup would be the port fees and other forms of taxation. Most of the naysayers I read here consider being drunk an important part of life. I can't see why eating out, staying in marinas are so integral to the quality of the trip. What meal could be better than a fish you just caught,cleaned and cooked. Put it on some rice with coconut and lime. What marina slip can compete with that perfect hidey hole anchorage near the beach with no footprints. I got a chuckle out of the eating out of dumpsters post. Very creative when you could grab a cluster of oysters or pick mussels off pilings or dipnet crabs etc... I find it amusing everywhere we cruise there are freebies around that the locals seem to ignore. We stocked up on 50lbs of pecans in SC. People we met were raking them up out of their yards and throwing them away. Coconuts in south Fl often treated the same way. I remember eating a salad we made on loggerhead key from yucca root,cactus paddles, coconut and raw snapper that was gourmet quality stuff. Only had to add some lime that wasn't local. Good times and food don't have to be bought at least in my book. If that were my idea of luxury I'd be living on shore.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 06:30   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
...were going to need a bigger boat Vasco..
Well, according to Vasco's profile he already has two over 35 feet. If you guys tow your boat and one of his as dingys, while living aboard the other, you should be able to go at least two months without having to touch land and find a decent rum distillery.

Here's a list of the distilleries on Caribbean islands:

Rum, Distilleries of the Caribbean on the Worldwide Gourmet

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized this is really thread piracy. In answer to the original question...Yes, I'm sure you can do it. Have the best anchoring gear you can buy, solar,wind, and low power use, and plan to avoid all the pay anchorages you can. Sail as much as possible, and make sure the boat is REALLY ready before you bring the docklines aboard, as a boat breakdown can wipe that budget away in an instant. Rice, beans (dry), and pasta...powdered drink mixes and a sub 35 foot boat would help. Row your dingy and walk everywhere
Isnt it something like 30 percent of the world lives on less than $5.00 per day!

Old 13-12-2009, 06:31   #57

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post

Thanks Faith... those were interesting numbers... I think it really depends on WHERE you travel as I can see hanging out in tropical lagoons, on empty islands is pretty cheap, but what if you are seeing Europe, Norway, Turkey Greece, Canada, USA, Japan etc.. so I guess there is a way to exist on $500 bucks a month but I don't see how you can "do" the world on that... of course a single guy could get by on hardly anything but doing this with a family of 4 is another thing. I am figuring this and I am also sure I have probably forgotten alot:

>We will keep up a house as a "base", pd for but need tax/ins $500/mth
>Boat Ins & Maintenance (used 40-50' cat) $850/mth
>Stay in a Marina about 30-40% while traveling on land $2,000/mth
>Communications, cell, email etc $200/mth
>Fuel for boats/car rentals, Toys etc $500/mth
> Gifts/Postage for friends and family $200/mth
> Kids Schooling materials $600/mth
> Car Insurance need to maintain for rentals and return $55/mth
>Health Ins Co-Pay $600/mth
> Food and all other living expenses for family of 4 $1,500/mth
> Entertainment e.g. kite sailing lessons/excursions for kids etc $500/mth

Total cash required assuming boat and house paid for $7,505/mth

So can it be done on $500/mth... all you have to do is delete 93% of the above line items..

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 07:01   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
If you stay in marinas even a part of the time the money spends quickly.
Faith, thanks for posting your numbers. It's fun to watch as the months go by...you start to shy away from marinas, it gets cheaper. You shy away from huge food costs, it gets cheaper. By the time you come back to the USA, you're not even THINKING about overnites in marinas...

Old 13-12-2009, 11:00   #59

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Well, according to Vasco's profile he already has two over 35 feet.
!
Thank you for mentioning my beautiful boats.

I hope one day you'll be able to get yours in the water and maybe enjoy the cruising life.
Old 13-12-2009, 11:24   #60

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post
Thanks Faith... those were interesting numbers... I think it really depends on WHERE you travel as I can see hanging out in tropical lagoons, on empty islands is pretty cheap, but what if you are seeing Europe, Norway, Turkey Greece, Canada, USA, Japan etc.. so I guess there is a way to exist on $500 bucks a month but I don't see how you can "do" the world on that... of course a single guy could get by on hardly anything but doing this with a family of 4 is another thing. I am figuring this and I am also sure I have probably forgotten alot:

>We will keep up a house as a "base", pd for but need tax/ins $500/mth
>Boat Ins & Maintenance (used 40-50' cat) $850/mth
>Stay in a Marina about 30-40% while traveling on land $2,000/mth
>Communications, cell, email etc $200/mth
>Fuel for boats/car rentals, Toys etc $500/mth
> Gifts/Postage for friends and family $200/mth
> Kids Schooling materials $600/mth
> Car Insurance need to maintain for rentals and return $55/mth
>Health Ins Co-Pay $600/mth
> Food and all other living expenses for family of 4 $1,500/mth
> Entertainment e.g. kite sailing lessons/excursions for kids etc $500/mth

Total cash required assuming boat and house paid for $7,505/mth

So can it be done on $500/mth... all you have to do is delete 93% of the above line items..

Cheers
sounds like good times YOUR having...
personnaly I can get rid of about 3000 dollars of that month for my plans,
but I need to get rid of another 1500, but thanks for the numbers they are great
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote