Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 21:01   #31
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
A report on Diesel prices would be good as well thanks Mark

Have Fun
RM 1.97 per litre = US$0.58 per litre x 3.79 = $2.19 per Gallon. Hows that?

Only the beer and chocolate are duty free.. chandelry is full price - plus an 'interesting' conversion rate on the $$!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 23:13   #32

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
I guess you could do it.
I would not want to. I like lifes pleasures.
But if you could do without any insurance, ran the diesel once in a while, ate a lot of rice and beans, and caught a fair share of fish... never ate out, never went into a marina, and did not consume alcohol, yea. Its doable. For one person.
Add in any thing broken, and your budget is gone. 500/month is 6000 year. Not a lot when you add in boat maintaince, bottom job, zincs, oil and filters, etc.
Bob
Old 11-12-2009, 00:13   #33

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Cruising on $500p/mnth

There seems to be different categories of cruisers
1/ sailing,snorkeling/fishing,on the hook,no marinas,eating out etc
Sightseeing is free-we fell into this category which was healthy,busy and did own boat mainteance-no health/boat insurance. These were our choices to make a dream come true. Went thru 6 hurricanes, damage in 3 etc so it was an experience and a cruise. CAN we do it again on limited budget?
2/sailing,staying in marinas,eating out,the boat maitenance done by boatyards.Sightseeing seems only outlet which could bring us to the 3rd category.
3/Boataholic,sailing,staying in marina some sightseeing,Lots of drinking
Would like to believe we could do it again in our 60's don't want to just dream
Old 11-12-2009, 03:21   #34

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
we spent a year in Frendh Polynesia for $1200 including boat repairs and maintenance. Fast forward that to today, accounting for inflation, and you are looking at $6,000. We weren't deprived, just didn't eat out or drink much, caught lots of fish and lobster, bought local staples. We undoubtedly would have had some larger expenses, if we'd stayed out longer for boat maintenance, etc. In short, had a great time.

So yes, it's probably still doable but you aren't going to be playing 'marina on the right' and hanging out in bars and restaurants.
That's quite an inflation rate to go from $1,200 to $6,000. What rate are you using and how long ago was this?
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:44   #35

Here's a fitting quote for all those worried about if they can afford to go cruising. Sterling Hayden ran off to sea at 15, sailed around the Caribbean and world several times before making lots of money as an actor, then spending most of his later life aboard boats.

To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen, who play with their boats at sea -- "cruising," it is called.
Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in.
If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about. "I've always wanted to sail to the South Seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is _not_ to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine -- and before we know it our lives are gone. - Sterling Hayden
Old 11-12-2009, 10:14   #36

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
Sterling Hayden was a very rare breed; literally an outlaw.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:33   #37
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
Sterling Hayden was a very rare breed; literally an outlaw.
thats one way to do it... steal along the way!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:38   #38

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Cruising on $500 per/mnth

Just an observation some 39% of the replies to this thread have been alcohol related, actually nothing to do with the original question. Seems sad one buys a yacht to sit on or maybe cruise only to want to park-off and booze ie booze-cruise.I'll stick to the old fishing,snorkeling and sightseeing Definitely saves half the monthly kitty
Old 11-12-2009, 11:00   #39

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Sure, it's doable....

Anchor, Sail, row your dinghy, fish, ...shop wisely for food...(got a power source for refrigeration?? ) .use fuel sparingly...
Boat insurance would be doable....I doubt you'd have enough for health ins...
certainly no phones, etc.

you'd have to keep moving..staying ahead of the tax man...and following the sun..
Old 11-12-2009, 11:54   #40
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Just an observation some 39% of the replies to this thread have been alcohol related, actually nothing to do with the original question. Seems sad one buys a yacht to sit on or maybe cruise only to want to park-off and booze ie booze-cruise.I'll stick to the old fishing,snorkeling and sightseeing Definitely saves half the monthly kitty
perhaps drinking like this is normal every day for some folks??
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:57   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
you'd have to keep moving..staying ahead of the tax man...
I don't think that the tax man is chasing too hard after the folks living on $500 a month.
Fishspearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:35   #42

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Fishspearit,

From my understanding, if you spend 90 days (may vary) in certain states, they will come after you for a " use" tax. Maryland is one of those states, I believe. I've read in earlier threads on this forum, where states have become quite aggressive with this, since they too are suffering the pangs of lower tax revenues.

Maybe they absolve people, that have limited income...it would be worth investigating. An ounce of prevention..and all that..
Old 11-12-2009, 12:58   #43

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
This thread has proved to be very helpful. I may have been lowballing some budgeting. For a non-drinking couple, I had been budgeting around 1000 a month for a bahamas cruise with the boat paid off. Limited stays in marinas and very few restaurants.
Spencer
Old 11-12-2009, 13:29   #44

We could get by on $500 a month. For booze.

Seriously though, it's good to see some people can do it. We'll have a bit more than that, so it's reassuring to think we should be able to last a while.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 13:51   #45

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by scook1 View Post
This thread has proved to be very helpful. I may have been lowballing some budgeting. For a non-drinking couple, I had been budgeting around 1000 a month for a bahamas cruise with the boat paid off. Limited stays in marinas and very few restaurants.
Spencer
You can do it for that if your marina stays are very limited. Say two or three days for the whole cruise. And very little eating out in the Bahamas. For the most part, eating out is very expensive and not very good. Usually we'll go out for lunch once every week or two at the most, not so much for the food but rather as a social occasion with friends. Once you get over there your costs will go down as hopefully you will have provisioned fully in the States. Paper products, cleaning products, engine oil, outboard oil, fishing gear, food, everything is much more expensive. Make sure you take enough to last the whole time you're in the Bahamas. By the way, small outboard motors are cheaper in the Bahamas, one of the few things. For those that do drink, liquor is cheaper but beer is about $40 a case.

I do not know where you are starting from or how well your boat is equipped. Usually if it's your first trip or first shot at lengthy cruising you will incur more boat costs than when you're experienced, due to unforseen circumstances such as not enough electrical power, wrong bottom paint or a poor dinghy, no bimini, etc., etc., etc.

Once we get to the Bahamas our actual spending goes way down. Cruising permit, dinghy gas, diesel, two marina days, fresh vegetables and some meat when our freezer gets low, liquor and occasional lunches out are about it.