Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2010, 06:02   #301
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
... And in the anchorage, I'm not sure you can always tell who is really wealthy ...
In (my) most preferred anchorages, the locals can tell who’s comparatively wealthy. To them, all of us cruisers are wealthy.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 06:39   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
The rich go to great lengths to convince us of the myth that only the newest, most expensive boats and gear installed by the most expensive, hired help will do for offshore boats, and anything less is sheer folly.
I know what you mean. It would take some updating and it's anything but new, but I can see that this boat has some real potential to be a comfortable cruiser.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 07:28   #303
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
The rich go to great lengths to convince us of the myth that only the newest, most expensive boats and gear installed by the most expensive, hired help will do for offshore boats, and anything less is sheer folly. This they do, in a futile attempt to keep the cruising life their exclusive domain.
Whatever reason they do it for it keeps a lot of people employed. Thats a lot of families fed, housed and educated - given lives.

If you prefer the alternative go to Russia. they had one go at comunism and now that fell apart they have a dictatorship and crime regime where only criminals get rich and everyone else is scum.

I prefer the lives given by quality work and its rewards

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 08:02   #304

I've looked at this thread several times and I got me wondering if we could do it on $500 a month. So, I started adding up our crew's typical expenses. Vodka, mixers and limes came in at over $1,000 per month so I just stopped there!
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 08:12   #305

Simple solution, remain within a few week's sailing time of Labuan or some other equally cheap duty-free port. The prices there are unbelievably low what with no tax or duty of any kind. Limes are cheap too!
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 08:55   #306

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
People 'cruise' on small budgets all the time. The preferred vessel of choice is usually a VW combi with a surfboard or skiis on the roof. I don't see why you couldn't do the same in a small sailboat.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 12:16   #307
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Whatever reason they do it for it keeps a lot of people employed. Thats a lot of families fed, housed and educated - given lives.

If you prefer the alternative go to Russia. they had one go at comunism and now that fell apart they have a dictatorship and crime regime where only criminals get rich and everyone else is scum.

I prefer the lives given by quality work and its rewards
Who's to say your own work is not "Quality work". There are too many horror stories about screwups by so called "Experts" ,to assume that paying someone to do what you can do yourself, automatically guarantees "Quality work" given the stakes are far higher for you. Ask Ralph Nader, and consumer groups.
Boats built and maintained by a careful, conscientious home builder are usually far better boats, from a practical use standpoint, than most manufactures boats, as their lives, and the lives of their families, not just their pocket books, are at stake.
While we are on the subject of Communism, I've been told that "The individual must serve the system " is a direct quote form the communist manifesto. It also applies to corporate communism, and consumerism.

Your personal environmental foot print is directly porportionate to how much money you spend.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 12:22   #308
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Who's to say your own work is not "Quality work". There are too many horror stories about screwups by so called "Experts" ,to assume that paying someone to do what you can do yourself, automatically guarantees "Quality work" given the stakes are far higher for you. Ask Ralph Nader, and consumer groups.
Boats built and maintained by a careful, conscientious home builder are usually far better boats, from a practical use standpoint, than most manufactures boats, as their lives, and the lives of their families, not just their pocket books, are at stake.
While we are on the subject of Communism, I've been told that "The individual must serve the system " is a direct quote form the communist manifesto. It also applies to corporate communism, and consumerism.

Your personal environmental foot print is directly porportionate to how much money you spend.
first of all, screening of workers is must-- have to know what they do and how they do it.

i hire independents to do my work.

how do you figure this 'Your personal environmental foot print is directly porportionate to how much money you spend."

SPLAIN,LUCY.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 12:29   #309
cruiser

How much money you spend is a reflection of the resources you use and the waste you put out. Thus, what you spend is a measure of your effect on the environment. There are some exceptions, but very few.
Old 19-10-2010, 12:35   #310
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
so broke is better..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 12:39   #311
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
so broke is better..LOL
Money can always be replaced. Time is finite. Don't squander time for money.
Old 21-10-2010, 12:45   #312

Quote:
well said
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 16:12   #313
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Quote:
Brent, I'm gonna appropriate that one.

Thanks.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 16:19   #314

Quote:
How much money you spend is a reflection of the resources you use and the waste you put out. Thus, what you spend is a measure of your effect on the environment. There are some exceptions, but very few.

nonsense....
so the guy that spends $60K to put solar panels on his house, and spends an extra 10K for a hybrid, spends 15K for a water recapture system, etc... is making a LARGER footprint....

you have fallen into the the rich are plundering the earth trap....

prime example... my friend is a successful cosmetic surgeon... he just built a nice waterfront home.... he spent an extra $65K on energy saving add ons.... spray in foam insulation, heated floors, foil lined roof system, etc...

his power bill for his new $900K home is $90.00 per month...
my old $350K home runs about $350.00 per month... who is leaving a larger environmental footprint?

who leaves a larger footprint... the guy that buys a new prius, or the guy that buys an old $500.00 van that gets 8 mpg and leaks oil?

simply looking at spending you cannot correlate footprint....

Without spending there is no economy.....
no new houses, no work for carpenters, electricians, etc...no work for the factory workers that make the materials, etc....

the government and public sector jobs DEPEND on spending....the more you spend the more taxes you generate..
If there was less spending and therefore jobs, there would be less income tax generated.....

without taxes government programs that help to minimize environmental impacts would suffer as there would be less money for inspectors, and lawyers to prosecute....

no taxes, no grants for reforestation, animal shelters, etc...
yardpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 16:53   #315
CLOD

Boat: none
All I can say is WTF, is this related to cruising on $500/mo?

I'm probably going to take flack now.
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote