Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 10:16   #241

Boat: Hunter 37.5 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I'll have to go price a bottle of whiskey to blow you outta the water...

The only trouble with so much beer, and now so much everything as we did a 3 month provision is that we don't have room for....... Nic and me!

Mark
The first one to come up with a way to freeze dry or powder beer will get rich!
CoolBreezeTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:25   #242

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
I hear powdered water is on the way!
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 09:18   #243

To be honest I think $500 is not enough.. but you did It.. wow that's totally amazing...
matthewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 09:35   #244

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ
I'll have to go price a bottle of whiskey to blow you outta the water...

The only trouble with so much beer, and now so much everything as we did a 3 month provision is that we don't have room for....... Nic and me!

Mark

Ah well...we see how you took care of that situwation...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 09:54   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBreezeTx View Post
The first one to come up with a way to freeze dry or powder beer will get rich!
My aussie friends on one boat drink nothing but homebrew beer. Comes in kits. A batch brewing all the time. Tasted fine to me. And they are definitely professional level swillers.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 10:00   #246
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
How is this thread still going after 245 posts??????????????

Where is the Thread Ignore button???????

I bought a 1 litre bottle of scotch for 7 Euros yesterday.

Actually I bought 2

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 11:36   #247
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... I bought a 1 litre bottle of scotch for 7 Euros yesterday.
Actually I bought 2
Wassamatta, didn’t they have drinkin’ whiskey?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 15:43   #248

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Quote:

Where is the Thread Ignore button???????

I bought a 1 litre bottle of scotch for 7 Euros yesterday.

Actually I bought 2
Ummm...what was it? Isle of Jura or MacGregors? Blech.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 00:06   #249

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
One way to clear up the discussion a bit would be to ask how * sustainably * someone could cruise on $ X per month... counting cost of boat, maintenance, etc. The most honest way of measuring $ X per month would seem to include all costs, including boat purchase.

Living on $500/month would seem to be a challenge for most Americans, even spending much time abroad.

USA, Dept. of Health & Human Services:
The 2010 Poverty Guidelines for the
48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia
Persons in family Poverty guideline
1 $10,830
2 14,570

US Median household income, 2008 $52,029
Persons below poverty level, percent, 2008, 13.2%
USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Old 03-10-2010, 06:04   #250

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
Quote:
Sorry Mark..after spending 45 minutes to read the WHOLE thing..start to finish..I'm still thinking about the 5 hired hands @ $500 each and the 16' "Hard Dink" picture on the previous page
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:26   #251
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
The 2010 Poverty Guidelines for the
48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia
Persons in family Poverty guideline

2 14,570
Australias poverty line for a couple is USD$23,000
Poverty Lines: Australia

I think I need to think that one out why theres a $10,000 difference

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:30   #252

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Australias poverty line for a couple is USD$23,000
Poverty Lines: Australia

I think I need to think that one out why theres a $10,000 difference

Cars and big screen TV's with surround sound are cheaper in the States.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:14   #253

Boat: Horizon 39
Bugger the budget. I either have enough or I haven't. Never stopped me from going anywhere before.

What would interest me is how do you handle your funds to make sure you get to spend it. I have plenty of experience on the beach from getting receipts from local banks to make sure you can change your local currency back into "hard" currency when you exit. Some countries used to have a black market rate. to hiding cash in my sock.

What I'm getting at is identity theft etc. Is the norm to rely on ATM/CC, Travelers checks, cash. Which are the more convenient currencies. $US can be a handicap in Cuba I believe. IMO GBP and Euros wouldn't go astray as well as Au$ in South Pacific. Besides a few different currencies can be a hedge against currency swings.

I read a horror story about a lady who had 3 ATM cards which became compromised using Island ATMs. The villains depleted all 3 a/cs, and she did her homework.

Sorry to be boring but you folks have more imagination than Walt Disney, and I'm smart enough to know there's a lot I don't know.
Old 03-10-2010, 15:28   #254

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike43 View Post
. . . What would interest me is how do you handle your funds to make sure you get to spend it. I have plenty of experience on the beach from getting receipts from local banks to make sure you can change your local currency back into "hard" currency when you exit. Some countries used to have a black market rate. to hiding cash in my sock.

What I'm getting at is identity theft etc. Is the norm to rely on ATM/CC, Travelers checks, cash. Which are the more convenient currencies. $US can be a handicap in Cuba I believe. IMO GBP and Euros wouldn't go astray as well as Au$ in South Pacific. Besides a few different currencies can be a hedge against currency swings.

I read a horror story about a lady who had 3 ATM cards which became compromised using Island ATMs. The villains depleted all 3 a/cs, and she did her homework.

Sorry to be boring but you folks have more imagination than Walt Disney, and I'm smart enough to know there's a lot I don't know.
There is a good thread with most of the answers to what your are asking here on CF at: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hlight=banking

- - But quickly, in the Caribbean and I suspect elsewhere you get local currency from ATM machines which have outdone T-shirt shops in their abundance. US Dollars are not really used much although some places will take them but normally at a not-so-good exchange rate. Same with travelers checks. In order to exchange USD to local or back you need to be in a Bank that will do it for a "non-customer" and you need to have your documents with you. Normally cruisers with "left-over local currency will sell it to a newly arriving cruiser as opposed to going through the bank hassles. So getting local money is easy, getting rid of excess is a bit more challenging.
- - You should set up your home banking to be accessible via the internet so that you can watch any activity on your accounts and transfer money as needed from one account to the other. I normally keep a very small amount in my checking account which is accessible by my ATM card. That limits what can be stolen if the card "disappears" or is cloned.
- - Identify Theft is not a problem, what is a problem is ATM card theft. You can Google ATM Scams, ATM card theft, and other variations and get the latest ways crooks are obtaining the two necessary items in order to get access to your ATM accounts. First they need the ATM card number and then they need your PIN. You can protect these by never using your ATM card to open the door to the ATM booth, use any other card with a magnetic stripe such as a drivers license. I don't know anybody would have more than one ATM card account. I have a duplicate card only in case I personally do something to the card so it will not work.
- - Also these days the ATM's talk via data link to your home bank before they issue you any money. So if the phone lines are down ATM machines will not function or they may refuse your card because the machine could not establish contact with your bank. Just try again later.
- - Also examine all ATM machines for alterations - these are well described in the UTube links from a Google search. Then cover your hands when you put in your PIN so that hidden cameras cannot copy your PIN. There are more safeguards which you can deduce from watching the UTube videos.
- - You should have more than one credit card (Visa, Mastercard) account but only take one with you when you leave the boat to go ashore. If a credit card is compromised the bank will normally shut it down before you even know about it. And you can use your internet access to your bank to detect any unauthorized charges or debits. But banks can only terminate the account these days, so you will need the "other" credit card to use until you can get a replacement sent to you which can take a month or more.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 15:50   #255
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i was recently advised by a mexican native that the info i had from years ago is still accurate and the ability to obtain and purchase fresh foods in mexico is still in keeping with an under 500 dollars per month cruising budget. hooyahhh!!!
ye just have to know WHERE to shop!!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote