Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2014, 17:15   #466

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Well when my autohelm 3000 wheel pilot died, many years ago, I fixed it with a handful of darlington transistors for $5. What makes an older smaller boat cheaper is far fewer systems to break and easier to repair when they do break, then newer more complex stuff. Having no fear to take things apart helps some too.
Agree with this.

Would also point out it was interesting for me to check on how big a power hog nav stuff is. But perhaps more to the point there is a big drop in power consumption of an auto pilot if you trim the sails so the boat has a neutral helm. I would bet another advantage would be the auto pilot would also not wear out as fast.
Old 28-02-2014, 17:24   #467
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Agree with this.

Would also point out it was interesting for me to check on how big a power hog nav stuff is. But perhaps more to the point there is a big drop in power consumption of an auto pilot if you trim the sails so the boat has a neutral helm. I would bet another advantage would be the auto pilot would also not wear out as fast.
In my case, you should not turn the wheel with the clutch engaged and the AP in standby The old auto helm 3000 does not have clamping diodes on the power feeds to the motor, so the transistors will burn out via current from DC motor generated by the wheel turning with the clutch engaged. OUCH. Still a fun time.

Just a guess that was the problem and it was. Just had to cross reference the old part numbers to newer transistors, (Two PNP and two NPN) Replaced all four and it was working again. Simple Really..
Old 28-02-2014, 17:48   #468
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> Just a guess that was the problem and it was.

But what percentage of cruisers have the knowledge to make a guess like that.

My guess is that the majority would look at your post and say "what is a clamping diode". (And then ask "what do PNP and NPN mean"?)
Old 28-02-2014, 19:10   #469

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
> Just a guess that was the problem and it was.

But what percentage of cruisers have the knowledge to make a guess like that.

My guess is that the majority would look at your post and say "what is a clamping diode". (And then ask "what do PNP and NPN mean"?)
Wifey B: Well I looked up PNP and it's Party and Play and then the use of party and the use of play in that context is really bad. Drugs and Sex.

NPN is the National Police of Nicaragua. Guess they would come into the picture after the PNP.

Seriously, what to her is so simple and straight forward is like a foreign language to many of us and I don't just mean a language from another country, I mean another planet.
Old 28-02-2014, 19:38   #470
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Seriously, what to her is so simple and straight forward is like a foreign language to many of us and I don't just mean a language from another country, I mean another planet.
Ah, sorry I am a little geekie sometimes. No worries, most of my friends eyes glaze over too. Even some of the young engineers eyes glaze over.
Old 28-02-2014, 20:37   #471

Quote:
Ah, sorry I am a little geekie sometimes. No worries, most of my friends eyes glaze over too. Even some of the young engineers eyes glaze over.
We're both geeky in our own ways, me more than her, but it doesn't include anything mechanical or electrical.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:58   #472

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Your out of the norm, You have the knowledge, skills and lack of fear to be able to do this, and having such, you can get by on pennies where others spend dollars
Very few people can do this, most have to spend heavily, or barter
I've been looking for bartering to be discussed on the cruising on a budget threads, but sadly I guess bartering has almost disappeared?

I'm guessing most folks at this budget level have few unique barterable boat skills, unfortunately, even if they're the brightest alternative investment broker on the planet. Mix that with a mindset that says "I probably can't fix that myself" and real, faraway-place cruising prospects are dimmed. And as was acrimoniously discussed here pages ago, even some with many skills would rather write a check than fuss around trying to save some shekels or a boat buck or two.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:47   #473
CLOD

Boat: none

I went back and reread the first couple of pages on the thread (waaaaay back in 2010) and then were a lot of people who didn't feel that $5k/mo was very much at all. I think I'll open up my "cruising kitty" spreadsheet and input some new lies and add some more fancy looking formulas to make it look impressive in order to talk myself into it .

Maybe it is just because it was 52 degrees last Saturday but is -1 now and I've feeling crazy!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:50   #474

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Don,

You've mentioned it, but not many seem care much. Health care insurance will be a big ticket item, especially for those over 60. I suspect that those cruising for under $500 don't carry health insurance.

You have to figure on something like 2-300 per month per person.

Boat insurance is toss-up. Some won't sail without it (me) some say they don't need it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 01-03-2014, 05:04   #475

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Just the facts about private medical and dental insurance...If you are over 60, in the US, Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO medical insurance with Delta Dental coverage will cost you around $600 USD per month/per person; $1500 USD medical deductible per year. Maximum dental benefits per year is $1500 USD with two "free" dental cleaning; 20% deductible on dental.

Mauritz
The devil is in the details.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:12   #476
CLOD

Boat: none

Only a true $5k/mo cruiser could stay in the USA if they need medical insurance. I've always pretty much known that cruising involved getting out of the country.The medical insurance issue is a HUGE 9000# gorilla as medical costs are the leading cause of bankruptcy.

But I've tried to keep the thread from going down this rabbit hole as my experience is that it will cause the thread and topic to crash and burn and almost every medical insurance thread gets closed.

So lets not go there and do some it on another thread (I'll post one)
Old 01-03-2014, 06:49   #477

The point is though that many of those with the lowest cruising costs are foregoing things which others of us might consider essential. Various insurances would be some of those things. Boat insurance, health insurance, life insurance.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:25   #478

Boat: Rafiki 37

I think for the truly frugal cruiser (you decide what that means), money insurance is mostly off the table. I say "money insurance" b/c there are other ways to mitigate and manage risk, which is the purpose of insurance. Just like frugal cruisers need to be DIY boat owners, so too they need to mitigate risk in other ways.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:51   #479
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Medical insurance.. whats that.. Nope not in my budget Luckily, I've not needed it at all in the last 10 years. I expect life will get interesting some day.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:05   #480
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Medical insurance.. whats that...
You know the product the Smarter than you Government now mandates you buy or pay a fine. Next up...4 servings of veggies per day from www.ChooseMyPlate.Gov
Closed Thread