Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2014, 17:42   #586
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,032
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
LOL .. you think chartering is expensive, wait until you OWN a 40' boat!



Have you heard of the expression "boat bucks" yet?

I'm sure you are correct, I'm used to maintaining airplanes, similar situation, but if your spending the money on something that is yours hopefully with the idea of improving it reliability etc, at the end of the day it's yours.

I'm sure you have the old adage, it it flies, floats or well you know. Rent it don't buy it.
People rent airplanes with this theory, but I have always preferred to own one and I think as I have always done almost all of my own maintenance I have come out way ahead.
Now if you live far away and your idea of maintenance is writing a check, then maybe you would be better off renting.

Truth is, buying a 27 yr old boat is scaring the beezus out of me. But the airplane I sold to help finance it was 32 yrs old and the airplane I kept is 68 yrs old, so if well kept I hope a boat can last as long as an airplane.
The part that worries me is what it's going to cost to bring her up to my standards. Thing in my favor is the boat is essentially a stripped, stock boat. Only modifications that I can find that was done is a Racor and some kind of mast mounted TV antenna and an additional bilge pump.
Not many "improvements" made by a PO that has to come out.
__________________

__________________
a64pilot is offline  
Old 20-03-2014, 18:00   #587
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The part that worries me is what it's going to cost to bring her up to my standards. .
And it SHOULD!

Our 37K 36ft 1978 Pearson 365 Ketch cost us 93K by the time we were done...and she didn't need any "major" work mind you...just was stripped down and bare without any real cruising gear, so we had to start from nothing. Of course once we had her perfect we sold her $39K and bought another boat and are doing it all over agian now! How's that for heard headed for ya...

And trying comparing a 7 day Charter to Cruising...not even close.

When was the last time a charter boat advertized their week in paradise as:

"Working (and paying for out of your Vacation fund) on the engine, head, electrical wiring, refrigeration, rigging, bilge pump, batteries, teak, bottom, zincs, dingy, nav lights, Radar, Autopilot, GPS, windlass, chafe gear, starter, generator, alternator, and replacing a "Joker Valve" that you didn't have aboard and had to somehow find, pay for and ship to "Paradise".

And folks...working on all that list and paying for it out of your cruising kitty IS what cruising is all about. Every charter advertizement I have ever seen never shows someone upside down in the bilge and covered in diesel fuel and oil while eating the lunch prepared by the crew.

My kids...ya...they Charter.
Me....not so much because I'm the responsible party. Come to think of it, I know myself and that is SCARY!
__________________

__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is online now  
Old 20-03-2014, 18:26   #588
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'm sure you are correct, I'm used to maintaining airplanes, similar situation, but if your spending the money on something that is yours hopefully with the idea of improving it reliability etc, at the end of the day it's yours.

I'm sure you have the old adage, it it flies, floats or well you know. Rent it don't buy it.
People rent airplanes with this theory, but I have always preferred to own one and I think as I have always done almost all of my own maintenance I have come out way ahead.
Now if you live far away and your idea of maintenance is writing a check, then maybe you would be better off renting.

Truth is, buying a 27 yr old boat is scaring the beezus out of me. But the airplane I sold to help finance it was 32 yrs old and the airplane I kept is 68 yrs old, so if well kept I hope a boat can last as long as an airplane.
The part that worries me is what it's going to cost to bring her up to my standards. Thing in my favor is the boat is essentially a stripped, stock boat. Only modifications that I can find that was done is a Racor and some kind of mast mounted TV antenna and an additional bilge pump.
Not many "improvements" made by a PO that has to come out.
My chartering recommendation had nothing to do with maintenance. I'm sure you can handle that fine. Here is my concern and reason for suggesting not jumping into ownership so fast. You said Ö

Quote:
As far as keeping the other half happy, it's actually pretty crucial, if she isn't happy, how long do you think you will be? I used to enjoy camping, found out pretty quick my wife does not, she will go somewhere in a fully equipped camper, but forget a tent. Oh, she will go, but nobody's going to enjoy it so years ago I got a 36' fifth wheel. During boat shopping I found a 32' I liked, fit me well. SHe sat in it and I could tell she wasn't thrilled, I asked her waht was wrong and her answer was it would get awfully small on rainy days, so I'm buying a 38'. This boat she is happy with and has started shopping on how to "decorate it" whatever that means.
Many of us know people who have been there and it is not pretty. Just saying ...
__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline  
Old 20-03-2014, 20:02   #589
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,023
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
"Real cruising", to me is not a short vacation trip, but a committed life style where one expects to do it for months at the least and really, a period of years. A time frame where wear and tear, maintenance, weather decisions, dealing with officials, getting away from support providers, provisioning and all those things missing from the charter environment become major factors in ones life. All too often we see folks whose cruises are cut short when they are confronted with such realities, and are not prepared or willing to meet them.
I'm with Jim. The challenges of a cruising lifestyle, or even just owning your own boat, are far different that chartering. These are the real challenges of the cruising lifestyle. This is why I always recommend people spend their money on a small cruising boat first. It's not the sailing or exploring new areas that is challenging. It is all the things that go into supporting and maintaining a cruising life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Finally, for the many folks who are operating on a restricted budget, the costs of all these charters ("try out lots of different boats") represent a lot of cruising kitty funds. I think that there are better uses for that money if your aim is to really go cruising.
This is the reason we did not charter. I was lucky enough to have exposure to a number of different boats, so was able to use actual experience when choosing our current vessel. Had I not had this opportunity, then I might have considered chartering, but the cost for a week would be a significant proportion of the price of our new (old) boat.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now  
Old 20-03-2014, 21:21   #590
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

We did charter as part of our selection process, but primarily to see if we liked specific boats as much as we thought we would and to see if what we thought were negatives on one other were really when using it. So as part of our buying decision.

We also did pick up some specifics of things we would do differently or things we liked perfectly as they were.

While we had been on a lot of boats we hadn't been on many in the specific size range we had in mind. We also chartered for longer periods and got a good idea of what it was really like aboard.

Not by any means saying chartering is important or even helpful for all. Just was for us.
__________________
BandB is offline  
Old 20-03-2014, 21:27   #591
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 992
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Great banter and a ton of information and entertaining ideas imbedded in this thread.

Thanks sailorboy1

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
tuffr2 is offline  
Old 21-03-2014, 04:02   #592
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,867
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

People are getting too focused on chartering being exactly like full time cruising.

The charting suggestion is not for experienced boaters, who are used to owning and maintaining a boat. It's for the newbies who show up and say they have never been on a boat and are going to sell everything move on a boat and sail off into the sunset in a month.

If you can't make it thru the much easier weeks charter fat and happy, it's probably far better (and cheaper) that you move on to another idea quickly. It doesn't mean you will love full time cruising.
__________________
valhalla360 is online now  
Old 21-03-2014, 04:22   #593
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
People are getting too focused on chartering being exactly like full time cruising.

The charting suggestion is not for experienced boaters, who are used to owning and maintaining a boat. It's for the newbies who show up and say they have never been on a boat and are going to sell everything move on a boat and sail off into the sunset in a month.

If you can't make it thru the much easier weeks charter fat and happy, it's probably far better (and cheaper) that you move on to another idea quickly. It doesn't mean you will love full time cruising.
Exactly! I don't know how we got off on this chartering debate. I mentioned it a few pages back as a way a64pilot could find out if his wife was going to be comfortable on a boat only 6' larger than the 32 footer favored. He had made it clear that if the wife wasn't happy nobody was going to be so I suggested chartering a 35 or 40 footer to find out. But he seems determined to buy the 38 footer to find out. Oh well, act in haste regret at leisure as they say.
__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline  
Old 21-03-2014, 04:30   #594
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,867
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

I'm always amazed how many 1-2 yr old boats are for sale. Considering a typical 40' boat is on the order of $500k and you lose $100k the minute you drive it off the lot, not to mention all the costs associated with outfitting with expensive items that a more experienced cruiser might bypass, there are a lot of folks who would be well served by a charter or two.

Remember this is the $5000/month thread not the $500/month thread. We are talking about people who are likely not buying a $5k boat to live on (or if they are, they are spending a $200k to rebuild and outfit it).
__________________
valhalla360 is online now  
Old 21-03-2014, 07:14   #595
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 992
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Don't get me started on the wacky costs of boats and the wacky expense of outfitting. The boat part of the equation will cost approx. 10x more than I thought 2 months ago.

If you buy a brand new boat of 42' and then outfit it with the electronics, dingy, solar, water maker, etc. etc. You are looking at close to 1 million $$$. And yes, that is easy 10x more than I expected.

Needless to say, I will not be buying a virgin boat.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
tuffr2 is offline  
Old 21-03-2014, 21:48   #596
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Not sure why folks are getting so het up about the chartering suggestion .

Will chartering a boat for a week or 2 teach someone everything they will ever need to know about cruising? Of course not.

Is it essential? No.

But for those who are cash rich and time poor it is ONE useful tool on their learning curve.......how they use that learning opportunity is up to them, and how much value it is will depend on own circumstances.

Hell, even simply being "out there " cruising does not automatically teach folks everything - no matter the years and / or miles under the keel.

One of the great things about messing around in boats is 'you ' get to decide so much for self from imperfect options - and then get to live with the consequences . Own learning curve is one of those.
David_Old_Jersey is offline  
Old 24-03-2014, 05:26   #597
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,308
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

I've been looking at marina costs on-line lately. First thing that got to me was how hard it is to find the prices on a lot of marina web sites. The second thing was that the monthly costs in lots of nice warm places are way less than I expected.

While still not "cheap" I'm finding there are lots of options for monthly slips around $600 for my boat. I never would have guessed this based on the costs up in the NE USA where I live and where I'm never stayed at a slip. But I can also see that daily or weekly stays would really add up fast. Almost seems that it would be crazy to go somewhere if you weren't going to stay at least a month if you need a slip.

What does have to do with the topic? It's that we always read that marina costs kill the budget, but it really seems doable on a moderate budget (say even $2k/mo) to stay at a slip.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline  
Old 24-03-2014, 06:11   #598
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,032
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Exactly! I don't know how we got off on this chartering debate. I mentioned it a few pages back as a way a64pilot could find out if his wife was going to be comfortable on a boat only 6' larger than the 32 footer favored. He had made it clear that if the wife wasn't happy nobody was going to be so I suggested chartering a 35 or 40 footer to find out. But he seems determined to buy the 38 footer to find out. Oh well, act in haste regret at leisure as they say.
We lived with two kids in a 36' fifth wheel trailer (caravan) to some for about a year and a half while re-building the house. That's different of course, but she has an idea of what she wants, besides I've lived with her long enough to have heard "I told you so" more than I ever want to. We have stayed some time on both a 36' and a 45' Sportfisherman, and honestly I don't think vacation time is realistic at all. We have visited an island or two in the Bahamas scuba diving, and thought how wonderful it would be to live there, but I also know that after a month or two at most, I'd be going crazy from boredom. But on the week or two trip, it was wonderful, so wonderful that I think full time would be a let down. A large part of why I don't want to charter is that I'm sure it would be wonderful indeed, and we would be thinking that when we finally get to retire and go off cruising, that it would be like that wonderful charter. But, I'm afraid that full time cruising would not be as wonderful as that charter and we would be depressed because of that. By not chartering, we don't have this un-realistic expectation of how wonderful a cruising life will be.
This cruising thing is my dream, not hers. I think she will go along with it as she has done with other things in the past and even enjoy it, just she's just not the adventurous type on her own, whereas I would go insane sitting on the porch in a rocking chair.
__________________
a64pilot is offline  
Old 24-03-2014, 06:18   #599
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,867
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I've been looking at marina costs on-line lately. First thing that got to me was how hard it is to find the prices on a lot of marina web sites. The second thing was that the monthly costs in lots of nice warm places are way less than I expected.

While still not "cheap" I'm finding there are lots of options for monthly slips around $600 for my boat. I never would have guessed this based on the costs up in the NE USA where I live and where I'm never stayed at a slip. But I can also see that daily or weekly stays would really add up fast. Almost seems that it would be crazy to go somewhere if you weren't going to stay at least a month if you need a slip.

What does have to do with the topic? It's that we always read that marina costs kill the budget, but it really seems doable on a moderate budget (say even $2k/mo) to stay at a slip.
$600/month is what we budget. We do stay for a week or month periodically and it is typically less than that. Depending where you stop finding slips for $1-1.50/ft is not uncommon. You slow down in these areas and speed up when the price gets into the $2.5/ft+ range.

The only budget danger I see with staying in slips is it's so much easier to get to shore, you wind up out and about more often and therefore are more like to visit stores, restaurants and sites where you can spend money.
__________________
valhalla360 is online now  
Old 24-03-2014, 06:21   #600
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,032
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I've been looking at marina costs on-line lately. First thing that got to me was how hard it is to find the prices on a lot of marina web sites. The second thing was that the monthly costs in lots of nice warm places are way less than I expected.

While still not "cheap" I'm finding there are lots of options for monthly slips around $600 for my boat. I never would have guessed this based on the costs up in the NE USA where I live and where I'm never stayed at a slip. But I can also see that daily or weekly stays would really add up fast. Almost seems that it would be crazy to go somewhere if you weren't going to stay at least a month if you need a slip.

What does have to do with the topic? It's that we always read that marina costs kill the budget, but it really seems doable on a moderate budget (say even $2k/mo) to stay at a slip.
You know I've sort of coming to a similar opinion. I think a lot of it is Marinas aren't nearly as full as they used to be 20 or so years ago so slips aren't as easy to rent, plus "things" like real estate etc. are just way cheaper down South than they are up North.
My Marina rates
Rate Chart October 2012 - September 2014 - Panama City Marina
__________________

__________________
a64pilot is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising on $500 per Month . . . goprisko General Sailing Forum 3094 24-03-2012 23:32
Cruising on $500 / Month Springbok Dollars & Cents 337 10-11-2010 09:52
Cruising on $499.99 per Month.. David_Old_Jersey General Sailing Forum 9 11-05-2010 05:08
New to Cruising - With 8 Year-Old and 7 Month-Old NeverforGranted Meets & Greets 2 25-04-2010 14:33
Cruising USVI / BVI Next Month markbeebe Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 16 12-01-2009 15:10



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:15.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.