Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 09:30   #376
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
What this shows is that just like in the rest of society these days...there is a fostering of hatred for those with money. They are imediately thought to be bad, evil, corrupt, lazy, and have their money because they stole it from you. They are not "real cruisers" if they don't live and crusie like you...WTF is that about?

Why can't someone cruise on $6000/Mo and be just as great of a person as someone cruising on $1000/Mo but happens to have just made more money in life? This trend of demonizing people that have money is nuts...and that it even happens in the Cruising Community (where all of us are viewed as the evil 1-%ers by those that don't own Yachts) is even worse.
Gee I don't think any of the 1% hang out on CF. Pretty sure the 1 percenters, think people that cruise on only $6000 a month are dirt poor.

Mike O was just responding to Don's little diatribe. Though for the life of me I don't think anyone was picking on Don. Well other then DOJ, but gee that's a given.

But by the same token, neither are the poor sailors, bad, evil, corrupt, lazy.

Old 25-02-2014, 09:35   #377
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Gee I don't think any of the 1% hang out on CF. Pretty sure the 1 percenters, think people that cruise on only $6000 a month are dirt poor.
Na...the 1%-ers are here and don't actually bother to care how much per month other people cruise on....some of the "cheapest" cruisers I know were ultra-1%-ers.
Old 25-02-2014, 09:37   #378

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
What this shows is that just like in the rest of society these days...there is a fostering of hatred for those with money. They are imediately thought to be bad, evil, corrupt, lazy, and have their money because they stole it from you. They are not "real cruisers" if they don't live and crusie like you...WTF is that about?

Why can't someone cruise on $6000/Mo and be just as great of a person as someone cruising on $1000/Mo but happens to have just made more money in life? This trend of demonizing people that have money is nuts...and that it even happens in the Cruising Community (where all of us are viewed as the evil 1-%ers by those that don't own Yachts) is even worse.

Rich, +1. This echoes an earlier post of mine on this thread. I have no problem with someone who wants/needs to cruise on $1000/month, why does the fact that I can cruise on more than that bother them so much? Let's go all in, I'm a Yank also, go ahead haters, pile on.
Old 25-02-2014, 09:43   #379
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

While I'm sure there are a few folks here with yearly incomes above 5-10 million, they are by definition few and far between.

From what I've seen, its more the rich or near do well's, saying folks cruising on $500 a month are lower class, unfit to ply the water ways. The fact that we are still here, annoys some to no end. Yes Don, I'm talking about you.....

Darn it, now David has me poking with a stick...
Old 25-02-2014, 09:48   #380
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
Rich, +1. This echoes an earlier post of mine on this thread. I have no problem with someone who wants/needs to cruise on $1000/month, why does the fact that I can cruise on more than that bother them so much? Let's go all in, I'm a Yank also, go ahead haters, pile on.
Honey, I don't think the issue is the cheap sailors, hat'in those with money. Gee practically everyone has more money then me. Yet I do well enough. I'm not picking on ya, just saying that it, Cruising" can be done for less. Lordy my Mom was from NY, so that makes me half Yank, BTW. But I overcame it...
Old 25-02-2014, 10:03   #381
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
While I'm sure there are a few folks here with yearly incomes above 5-10 million, they are by definition few and far between. .
The top 1 percent of American households had pretax income above $369,691 and the top 10% of income earners made above $116,000. These good for nothing top 10%-ers paid 71% of the total federal income tax. So a better name for them could be the "Golden Goose" that eveyone loves to hate.

So yes...there are PLENTY of the "evil greedy" 1%-ers here posting in Cruisers Forum and next to you in the Marina and even at anchor. Unfortunately, there is so much politcal propoganda these days trying to demonize the 1% to gain political votes (as if they are the problem)...people lose sight of what the 1% really is.

Data Source:
Top 10 Percent of Earners Paid 71 Percent of Federal Income Taxes
Old 25-02-2014, 10:10   #382

Boat: Rafiki 37

Just for the record, and perhaps for clarity, I posted my comment b/c Don's characterization of the frugal sailing discussions elsewhere are simply wrong. I've read a few similar posts of his like this now. I finally felt a response was required (probably his goal ... I know). I encourage anyone who cares, to take a look his contributions to the various frugal cruising threads both here, and more recently over at SN. You decide.

It's amusing to me how my comments somehow get used to launch yet another class assault (a discussion which seems to be an issue mostly for American cruisers). I don't give two hoots how Don, Third, SailorChic or anyone else chooses to cruise. Just don't force your choices on me. You do it your way, and I'll do it mine .
Old 25-02-2014, 10:35   #383
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

YOU come across as a sad and bitter man Don.
I'm not sad or bitter. In fact I'm happy and glad of the life I have made for myself and the future it will bring. You must really be talking about others being sad and bitter as all I did was report what they have been saying. Sorry if it rains down on your parade.

BTW Mike why do YOU post on these non cheap cruising threads, is it just to be bitter that others have it better than you?
Old 25-02-2014, 10:41   #384

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Quote:
Honey, I don't think the issue is the cheap sailors, hat'in those with money. Gee practically everyone has more money then me. Yet I do well enough. I'm not picking on ya, just saying that it, Cruising" can be done for less. Lordy my Mom was from NY, so that makes me half Yank, BTW. But I overcame it...

There you go with the back handed put down. "But I overcame it" I guess I can put you in the hater crowd also.
Old 25-02-2014, 10:41   #385

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certeza View Post
Thanks for the post Teknav. When you posted this, I was thinking the same thing. Many of us who didn't come from money had that joyous college experience of living on $500-$1000 per month. While I never resorted to camping (bad idea in the Utah mountains), I did have to get some friends together and figure out how to get our apartment rent down to $125 a person.

Point is that I did it, I enjoyed it, I lived through it, I have fond memories of it, and I would never choose to do it again. Not because I can't do it, or wouldn't enjoy life. Just because for me, I prefer that extra level of comfort.
I feel the same way. Especially at my age.
Old 25-02-2014, 10:42   #386
CLOD

BTW - I don't have anything aganist "frugal" cruisers as I believe I'm basically one of them (no where near $500/mo overall as I'm not planning on limiting myself to some place that allows that).

But I will say I think some are pretty delusional.
Old 25-02-2014, 10:42   #387

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Cease Fire! Please, no need for personal attacks! Life is too short...Nothing can be gained by attacking others!

Mauritz
I go with the flow!
Old 25-02-2014, 10:47   #388

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
The top 1 percent of American households had pretax income above $369,691 and the top 10% of income earners made above $116,000. These good for nothing top 10%-ers paid 71% of the total federal income tax. So a better name for them could be the "Golden Goose" that eveyone loves to hate.

So yes...there are PLENTY of the "evil greedy" 1%-ers here posting in Cruisers Forum and next to you in the Marina and even at anchor. Unfortunately, there is so much politcal propoganda these days trying to demonize the 1% to gain political votes (as if they are the problem)...people lose sight of what the 1% really is.

Data Source:
Top 10 Percent of Earners Paid 71 Percent of Federal Income Taxes
Yep. Shame ain't it? As in "who paid for the roads markers?
Old 25-02-2014, 10:52   #389
CLOD

Quote:
My main reason for posting to this thread was to counter the notion that all people need $3000 to $5000 to cruise. For the Noob, there needed to be an opinion that says hey, it can be done for less.

Probably true. But I can not find much evidence to support it as an long term average. I believe the lowest records I have found for a cruiser (not a living on a boat) couple has been about $1500/mo and that was for 2 years.

What was the movie line, oh yeah "show me the money".
Old 25-02-2014, 11:09   #390

Boat: Catalina 36

I don't imagine most super-cheap cruiser take the time to write up a budget and publish it on the net.