Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 02:00   #271

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
A MONTH or a YEAR?

WHOOPS A MONTH - sure wish it was the other through
Old 01-02-2014, 11:14   #272

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
SNIP

In fact, I think those that do, live a truer existence to their beliefs than those that are in the "I drive a Prius, therefor I'm better than you crowd".

SNIP
Wow, I am very conflicted. My monthly expenses would probably put me in your 'truer existence' group. Problem is that I drive a Prius. But I do not self identify as being in the 'I'm better than you crowd'.

Just because someone has advanced professional degrees and spent several years working for the big bucks and was able to accumulate real estate, retirement accounts, a car, a van, and a nice catamaran does not mean they are not able to keep the monthly expenses down.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:40   #273
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Wow, I am very conflicted. My monthly expenses would probably put me in your 'truer existence' group. Problem is that I drive a Prius. But I do not self identify as being in the 'I'm better than you crowd'.

Just because someone has advanced professional degrees and spent several years working for the big bucks and was able to accumulate real estate, retirement accounts, a car, a van, and a nice catamaran does not mean they are not able to keep the monthly expenses down.
Lets hope!
Old 01-02-2014, 14:10   #274

Quote:
I got lost somewhere here. Is the Prius an expensive car where you live? It is about the cheapest car you can buy (for TCO) where I live.

I thought the "better than you crowd" was driving Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Infinity, Land Rover, Porsche, etc.
Old 01-02-2014, 14:33   #275

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Nah. Tomfl has the bucks but still lives frugally. I'm fer it. The antithesis of the checkbook sailor.
Old 01-02-2014, 15:02   #276
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I got lost somewhere here. Is the Prius an expensive car where you live? It is about the cheapest car you can buy (for TCO) where I live.

I thought the "better than you crowd" was driving Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Infinity, Land Rover, Porsche, etc.

There you go busting my bubble, I was beginning to think I was special
Old 01-02-2014, 15:15   #277

Quote:

Not sure what TCO means in this context, but there are plenty of cars cheaper than a Prius.

If it makes you feel I am more qualified to be in the 'better than you crowd' because I also have a Mercedes Sprinter van I am happy to post that information.
Old 01-02-2014, 16:16   #278

Quote:
Not sure what TCO means in this context, but there are plenty of cars cheaper than a Prius.

If it makes you feel I am more qualified to be in the 'better than you crowd' because I also have a Mercedes Sprinter van I am happy to post that information.
I drive a Nissan Frontier, so I don't care much either way Just never considered a Prius a fancy car, so was surprised to see the comment.

TCO is total cost of ownership. Price + Gas + Maintenance.
Old 01-02-2014, 16:44   #279

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Words of wisdom, those! The realities of long term cruising are difficult to grasp until you actually try it on for size.

Sounds to me like you will prosper, mate. Good luck, and see ya out here someday.

Jim
Thanks for the kind words.

I want to start walking around with a check this summer but it may have to wait till next year. Who knows. I may start another $500-to-find-me-a-boat thread.
Old 01-02-2014, 16:50   #280

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

When we were in Cuba 5 years ago on our very first boat, my wife met a couple in a 14-16 footer that I am sure they sailed on no more of a budget than the costs of food. The boat had no motor (oars or sails for propulsion) no electricity, (cooler for food storage and a couple of fishing poles), the cabin was so small that you had to enter horizontally.

She said that she chatted with these people for quite awhile and they seemed to be very happy with their experiences with at least the man being permanently based on the boat and having sailed everywhere.

I guess the moral of the story is that it is all in what makes you tick.
Old 01-02-2014, 16:52   #281

Boat: Various

Quote:
I drive a Nissan Frontier, so I don't care much either way Just never considered a Prius a fancy car, so was surprised to see the comment.

TCO is total cost of ownership. Price + Gas + Maintenance.
Well, I don't judge people by the car they drive or the boat. Don't judge based on rich or poor. Don't judge based on whether they live frugally or spend every penny they take in. I don't look down on any people based on their finances or how they choose to live in that regard.

While not illegal in any regard, judging based on factors such as above are just one more form of bigotry and we have way too much of that already.

I do pay more attention to how people treat others. Do they show respect? Are they ready to come to the aid of others when needed? Do they exhibit human qualities of kindness?

And if you judge me on the basis of my boat or car or spending habits or other such factors then it says far more about you than it does me.
Old 01-02-2014, 17:04   #282

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:

Nice. How is that working out? I have heard good things. Unlike lots of their cars these days.
Old 01-02-2014, 17:44   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Nice. How is that working out? I have heard good things. Unlike lots of their cars these days.
I am very happy with my Sprinter van. Have had it for several years. Been from Florida to Death Valley twice and once to Lake Powell. No problems with snow or going up in the Rockies. It is not the latest generation, has the five cylinder engine. I upgraded from the plastic to an OEM metal turbo resonator and am very serious about getting the oil changed. Never had any problems. The five cylinder engine models, mine included, get around 25mpg or more at highway speeds. This generation is more like a truck. The newer models are more like vans, more comfortable, quieter, and mpg is much worse.

There is a very active yahoo users group if you want more information, and a couple of more yahoo groups with less activity. Here is a link to the big one

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sprintervan/info
Old 02-02-2014, 01:55   #284
DWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, I don't judge people by the car they drive or the boat. Don't judge based on rich or poor. Don't judge based on whether they live frugally or spend every penny they take in. I don't look down on any people based on their finances or how they choose to live in that regard.

While not illegal in any regard, judging based on factors such as above are just one more form of bigotry and we have way too much of that already.

I do pay more attention to how people treat others. Do they show respect? Are they ready to come to the aid of others when needed? Do they exhibit human qualities of kindness?

And if you judge me on the basis of my boat or car or spending habits or other such factors then it says far more about you than it does me.
Nicely said!
Old 02-02-2014, 02:30   #285

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

When we cast off in a couple of years, we will have more than use 5k per month (two white collar high pensions).

What will our budget be? difficult to say off hand, but we find as we get older, we no longer buy anything (except for on the boat - sigh). As a matter of fact we are actively getting rid of things.

I'm semi-retired and I haven't bought any clothes (except boat shoes) for years. MY wife still works full-time so she has to buy some, but otherwise we really don't spend very much money.

We will spend money on sight-seeing and car rental etc and since we do like to eat out occasionally (casual dining) this will also be an expense..
I've come up with the number use 3k for cruising. With an additional 1k per month for unexpected boat repair (i fix almost everything myself).

We plan on liquidating everything, house, cars etc. so we'll also a substantial back-up kitty. The boat is paid for.

I'll have a small income from my writing (maybe as much as use 500 per month).

Good thread Don - but you're a terrible mathematician - guessing wrong by a buck on a 3k budget

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Closed Thread