Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 11:02   #136

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
A good lesson for you to get over now.

If you let social status start hurting you then you are a long way behind the 8 ball.
$5,000 per month is chicken feed to some boats you will be tied up next to. Their huge sailing or motor boat will be able to afford the marina while you sell the first born to park next to them; then you jump the taxi after the rich bugger has got out and the driver expects you to give the same $10 tip.

We are currently tied up to the town dock in some idyllic Greek Isle see the photo below, Sea Life is on the far right. See how the restaurants are right at our stern. How romantic! How Mediterranean! Think of it: Dining in the restaurant at the foot of your own boat in the crystal clear water of the Aegean! Isn't it what the dream is all about? Wouldn't we love to be able to afford to eat in the damn restaurant?

But we eat on deck our beautiful dinner made from the best produce available in the little shops and markets and home cooked on Sea Life. We eat and watch the folks 10 feet away in the expensive restaurant looking at us thinking we are the millonairs, dreaming about being as lucky as us to be on our own boat.

The truth be known about cruisers is the folks on $10k per month, $1,000 per month and half way in between, will all share a beer together and not know nor care about budgets and social status. We are all cruisers and nature is the big social leveler.

Mark
Hey MarkJ ?
This looks a bit touristy to me. What about a diner or eatery two or three blocks behind the ones there in the pic? Or finding out where the locals go?
Old 01-07-2010, 13:03   #137

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I was making this very point only yesterday. To the Butler

Post of the week!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 13:39   #138

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Quote:
We are currently tied up to the town dock in some idyllic Greek Isle see the photo below, Sea Life is on the far right. See how the restaurants are right at our stern. How romantic! How Mediterranean! Think of it: Dining in the restaurant at the foot of your own boat in the crystal clear water of the Aegean! Isn't it what the dream is all about? Wouldn't we love to be able to afford to eat in the damn restaurant?

But we eat on deck our beautiful dinner made from the best produce available in the little shops and markets and home cooked on Sea Life. We eat and watch the folks 10 feet away in the expensive restaurant looking at us thinking we are the millonairs, dreaming about being as lucky as us to be on our own boat.
Eactly right Mark. In fact what I've observed is at Darling Harbour (Sydney) at weekends, the stink boats back into the marina especially so that they can be seen looking like millionaires. It's all about looking the part. To be fair to the stink boaters, there is a low bridge that would stop any of the posing brigade with yachts from doing the same.

But it's what I love about the cruising community, it's largely classless and is all the better for it. What I think some in the cruising community could stop doing is posting photos of their boat in idyllic locations while the rest of us are at work doing stock takes, trial balances and all the crap associated with business at the end of the financial year. A little bit more consideration would be nice!

Greg
Old 01-07-2010, 13:52   #139
CLOD

Boat: none
What are these "stink boats" that keep getting talked about? Are these commerical fishing boats or something with blood and guts all over them; or are the non stick in the air boats getting slammed?
Old 01-07-2010, 16:47   #140

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
What are these "stink boats" that keep getting talked about?
Aussie term for leasure boats that don't have sails. Not usually used for commercial vessels, commercial or otherwise, but I guess could be.
I don't know if the name is used elsewhere.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of selfish/inconsiderate stink boat drivers, usually on weekends, who have no consideration for others, either with wake or noise... gives all of them a bad name.
With the usual Aussie egalitarianism, we would have no hesitation in calling Creg Norman's $80,000,000 floating palace a stink boat... albeit with a touch of envy.
Vic

PS this was a great idea for a thread.
Old 01-07-2010, 20:23   #141
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
I was under the impression that you start out with a small simple boat and work up to a bigger and bigger boat with fancier and fancier gadgets...then I got my 30'Atkin's and realized I didn't need anything more also I follow the KISS principle as far as equipment...but the whole thread is about $5000/mo cruising budget, this does not include equipment/boat costs, just operating costs.
As I live in a marina traveling from marina to marina, eating in restaurants all the time is not my definition of cruising. The cruising I remember from when I was a boy with my father involved anchoring out and an occasional restaurant meal, the cruising *I* prefer involves getting away from "civilization", but to those that spend most of their time in a land based life/rat race the a $5000/mo splurge would be a nice escape.
Old 02-07-2010, 00:08   #142
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
This looks a bit touristy to me. What about a diner or eatery two or three blocks behind the ones there in the pic?
You are so right.

The place we went to last night - our 'special' meal out because its a new country - was in a narrow laneway about 150 meters behind the water front.
The lane is too small for cars. The whole lane is covered in tables from about 4 restaurants one way and another 4 in the intersecting lane.
Above us Bougainvillea bright pink had been teased across the whole lane on wires.
The pavement was marble. There was no modern buildings but all the buildings were renovated.
Roving guy playing the accordian.
Romance Rating: 10+++
2001 award for best food on the island and second cheapest cost.
Every table was full of locals and tourists.

We stuffed ourselves stupid till we couldnt eat any more, had 2 caraffes of house red wine, bread, salad, appetizer, main meat dishs and small desert....

We couldn't finish half the main course.... (OK I finished 3/4 of mine, Nic did 1/4 of hers)

Cost...... Euro 35 = USD $44 = AUD$ 52

Sensational!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 02-07-2010, 03:13   #143

Quote:
We couldn't finish half the main course.... (OK I finished 3/4 of mine, Nic did 1/4 of hers)
Haha dont lie! I know you ate 100% of yours AND the 25% that Nic left! I've seen your belly lol
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 04-07-2010, 01:38   #144

5K is a lot of money when cruising. I know, I am doing it. I am in Dominica and if I stayed here without boat problems I maintain a very positive cash flow. I move around a lot and anchor almost exclusively because that is the best view.

I am on a 42 boat so if you get much bigger the costs go up exponentially. Even with double everything(Cat) I manage to buy things for the boat or eat out when I choose and still have extra when the new money pops in each month. You will not be rich ,but sufficient.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:08   #145
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
There is that old adage about the cost of yachts…..
“If you have to ask…you can’t afford it!”

I think within the context of this Thread it also applies psychologically as well as financially.

Astrid and others have given very compelling explanations on the mechanics of happiness and contentment.

The bottom line being that it is much nicer to make a decision based on real desire rather than whether you can afford it.

When we cruise to different destinations and cultures, our desires are modified by that new environment and lifestyle.

While MarkJ presently enjoys the med style hedonistic pleasures of a marble culture, he and Nic probably still remember the priceless value and experience of their first deserted beach, wriggling their collective toes and happiness in the sand.

Be it $500 or $5,000….. without that mindset… you cannot afford it.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:21   #146

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Snip...

While MarkJ presently enjoys the med style hedonistic pleasures of a marble culture, he and Nic probably still remember the priceless value and experience of their first deserted beach, wriggling their collective toes and happiness in the sand.

Be it $500 or $5,000….. without that mindset… you cannot afford it.
Great post.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
Old 04-07-2010, 03:34   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
Great post.

P.
I concur!

I still remember my first deserted beach, white sand, snorkling, bbq, climbing trees for coconuts, good times!
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 04-07-2010, 09:44   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
I concur!

I still remember my first deserted beach, white sand, snorkling, bbq, climbing trees for coconuts, good times!

Even better post.

This is what I want to do someday.When in Rome or off the coast of fiji do as the locals. Use what god gives you. grab a coconut a fish and some rice and have the meal of a lifetime.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:47   #149

Quote:
You are so right.

The place we went to last night - our 'special' meal out because its a new country - was in a narrow laneway about 150 meters behind the water front.
The lane is too small for cars. The whole lane is covered in tables from about 4 restaurants one way and another 4 in the intersecting lane.
Above us Bougainvillea bright pink had been teased across the whole lane on wires.
The pavement was marble. There was no modern buildings but all the buildings were renovated.
Roving guy playing the accordian.
Romance Rating: 10+++
2001 award for best food on the island and second cheapest cost.
Every table was full of locals and tourists.

We stuffed ourselves stupid till we couldnt eat any more, had 2 caraffes of house red wine, bread, salad, appetizer, main meat dishs and small desert....

Cost...... Euro 35 = USD $44 = AUD$ 52

Sensational!
Now that's what I'm talking about. When in Rome do as the Romans.

Great to know there are still ways to cut costs that make sense and still enjoy a meal or two onshore.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:00   #150

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by svzafarse View Post
5K is a lot of money when cruising. I know, I am doing it. I am in Dominica and if I stayed here without boat problems I maintain a very positive cash flow. I move around a lot and anchor almost exclusively because that is the best view. . .
Dominica is a favorite of ours also and one of the really low cost islands mainly for the reason there is little if any opportunity to spend big bucks.
- - The Dominican Republic is another very low cost island for cruisers on the hook. It is very difficult to spend more than $300/mo there on basic live-aboard expenses. It is very agrarian society with small farmers, free range chickens and cattle. However, a group of us did splurge once by taking a tour up to the big mountain on the island. It was an overnighter with a room in a local lodge on the white water rafting river. Cost US$50/person but the hotel lost money on us as we each spent at least an hour or more just standing in the shower with endless hot water streaming over our bodies. Twice. And real beds with crisp sheets and fluffy towels.
- - A little deprivation now and then makes the more upscale stuff we take for granted that much more sweeter. And there is a special appreciation for sitting in a quay-side taverna watching the sun set and plates of great Greek food served on "non-plastic" plates and a tablecloth. It is worth the extra.
Closed Thread