Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 16:46   #76

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Cruisers Wrist Watch Recommendations

Quote:
Whatever Timex or Casio are selling for under $70 that looks decent, nautical and is alleged to be waterproof. I'm just too hard on watches to spend alot, and in my experience these inexpensive ones have been accurate to better than a minute in a year.
Sage advice.
Old 12-04-2013, 17:47   #77

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I don't wear a wrist watch. I had a Rolex given to me when I went to Viet Nam, and when I came home 4 yrs later I tossed it to the ground crew! never wore one since! I have 3 ocean going wall clocks, a quartz one in the nav area where I do my logs and one by the master bed, and one in the saloon area !! never saw the reason for a wrist watch or rings and such ! I guess Im just cheap and easy pleased LOL But I know what time it is, and have all my fingers and both hands !! Ive seen watchs and rings cause bad wounds aboard boats !! Just my 2 cents and Im never late LOL
Old 12-04-2013, 17:57   #78

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
A what??...oh yeah...I remember those...I vaguely recall having one back when I cared about time and schedules and such..
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 18:13   #79

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
A what??...oh yeah...I remember those...I vaguely recall having one back when I cared about time and schedules and such..
Exactly my thoughts, when sailing wtf would anyone want to know the time, date or day? Ya think it really matters what time it is? Turn your back to the land, there is only danger, grief, stress, politics, government and people there!
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 18:14   #80

Boat: SeaWind 850
[QUOTE="bobconnie;
never saw the reason for a wrist watch or rings and such ! I guess Im just cheap and easy pleased LOL But I know what time it is, and have all my fingers and both hands !! Ive seen watchs and rings cause bad wounds aboard boats !!

You are not alone on this.
Me, some as you and no piercing, tattoos. God made both of us so beautiful we do not need any of those.
cszosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 18:17   #81

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Some time ago I was in Mexico City, attending a meeting with the US Consular chief of security. He asked all the males to hold up their wrist watches. He selected me to stand and describe my own, a $20 Casio (or similar make) with a black plastic band. He pulled back his sleeve to reveal the same type watch. His point was that all watches tell the same time, some though reveal much more. Such as how likely you are to have some money in your pocket, how necessary it is for you to reveal that info to the world, and how likely it is that you will be the one culled from the available herd.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 18:24   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post

Exactly my thoughts, when sailing wtf would anyone want to know the time, date or day? Ya think it really matters what time it is? Turn your back to the land, there is only danger, grief, stress, politics, government and people there!
- keeping a log book
- knowing when the various ssb / vhf nets are
- knowing when the days that fresh produce arrive in any given small town
- meeting up with friends for anything
- knowing how long you've been underwater for when diving
- knowing how long to keep something in the oven or on the burner
- waking up early to an alarm so you can get out of an anchorage and around a bend before sunrise when the wind starts kicking

And beyond all of that if you're not in the polar regions you can do some fairly quick and accurate location finding just armed with an accurate clock. Mine also has a barometer with a small bar graph so I can see trend lines.

Even just sitting around listening to Jimmy Buffet in some anchorage anyone on the water would be well served with an accurate timepiece. And for the small increase in cost you can have one with very helpful features like tides, moon phases, and a barometer.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 18:27   #83

Boat: PT-11

Cheap timex. I put the rolex in storage and find I prefer the timex with the velcro strap. I am still waiting for the moment, described by others, when one reaches cruising zen and doesn't want a watch.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 18:32   #84

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Cruisers Wrist Watch Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Cheap timex. I put the rolex in storage and find I prefer the timex with the velcro strap. I am still waiting for the moment, described by others, when one reaches cruising zen and doesn't want a watch.

You are there, right now.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 18:33   #85

Boat: Vd Stadt 34

I have a Suunto Core all black, it has a very useful barometer that has a function called 'storm alarm'. It gives an alarm when air pressure drops in a short period of time. It works beyond expectations and really warn me sometimes even a few hours before the windspeed accelerates.
Feels safe to have something looking at the airpressure at all time.
Besides this function it can also be used as a depth meter which is verry accurate but only goes to 10 meter down.
Bregts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 18:34   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
As soon as you do some local family on the beach will invite you over for dinner the next night around 7:30pm and ask you to swing by the tienda down the road that closes at 6:00pm, which you need to catch the bus for that takes about half an hour.

Nevermind needing to deal with customs / immigration / port captains who all have their various schedules.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 18:54   #87

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

One thing I did learn from my ole daddy, was if ya leave early enough, your never late !! He did know some things LOL In fact when I turned 30 I was really suprised how much he knew LOL
Old 12-04-2013, 21:20   #88

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
- keeping a log book
- knowing when the various ssb / vhf nets are
- knowing when the days that fresh produce arrive in any given small town
- meeting up with friends for anything
- knowing how long you've been underwater for when diving
- knowing how long to keep something in the oven or on the burner
- waking up early to an alarm so you can get out of an anchorage and around a bend before sunrise when the wind starts kicking

And beyond all of that if you're not in the polar regions you can do some fairly quick and accurate location finding just armed with an accurate clock. Mine also has a barometer with a small bar graph so I can see trend lines.

Even just sitting around listening to Jimmy Buffet in some anchorage anyone on the water would be well served with an accurate timepiece. And for the small increase in cost you can have one with very helpful features like tides, moon phases, and a barometer.
Some need to "know" these things, others just go with the flow of their lives, and accept the karma of that choice. I prefer to flow. Alarm Clocks are an abomination to life and should be banned.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 21:56   #89
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Threw my watch away years ago. Who cares what time it is ? If your worried about time maybe you should buy a speedboat... LOL
Old 12-04-2013, 22:00   #90

Boat: too many

How about a watch you can function your autopilot from?
Marine Watch + GPS Navigator | Garmin quatix
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote