Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2015, 21:17   #16

Boat: Ketch 52'
Send a message via Skype™ to CaptDHill
Re: Cost to deliver a boat

Not much left to be said here. There are many excellent points mentioned in the above posts.
I have delivered on all oceans except the Arctic. In short, I do recommend finding a boat closer unless the boat is plus or minus at least 100 feet. I am all for delivering vessels on their hull. I disagree that the vessel will necessarily need a refit after such a voyage. This would depend on the boat. If it is anticipated that the boat will need rebuilt after any half circumnavigation, it probably should be left where it is. Ocean crossings can be brutal, but an experienced crew can easily mitigate excessive wear on the vessel. The owners will be responsible for all expenses though; not only captain and crew daily rates.
One last thing of my personal opinion. One post mentioned that part of his delivery crew took the job to gain experience and sea time. They had USCG 50 Ton licenses. I use only experienced licensed crew and never anyone who needs or wants sea time for any reason. Professional ocean deliveries are no place to gain sea time as crew. I realize they have to gain the experience somewhere. I'm all for that, but there must be sufficient licensed and experienced crew first. Any additional personnel are riders and should not hold responsibilities. A 50 ton license does not necessarily bring with it the required competence. These licenses are relatively easily obtained. Moreover, there is no such thing as an ocean endorsement on these licenses. An Unlimited Master is not necessary for small vessels, but in my opinion a Master with an Oceans endorsement is. For international operations, STCW and other endorsements should be included. No offense to anyone who holds a limited license is intended. They will most likely continue to upgrade. If the crew lacks credentials deserving of pay, they are extras onboard. In other words, they should hold no watch standing nor ship handling responsibilities except under supervision. One qualified captain without properly credentialed crew isn't even legal on a voyage over twelve hours for commercial vessels. I often have competent sailors ask to go along on deliveries. I always politely decline. My crew are all licensed, experienced, and appropriately endorsed to assume command of the vessel including oceans endorsements for ocean crossings. Our fees are reasonable, but competent crew is paid crew. In most cases, this will save on your insurance policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CaptDHill is offline   Reply With Quote