Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-10-2009, 01:38   #31

Boat: Nantucket 33
Sailing States to Australia

Hi Im not trying to hijack the thread but I had a question that relates to the topics.
If you were to sail yacht back from say CA to Australia and you wanted to do it pretty much with the only thing in mind is delivery. How long would you allow and what would be the best time to leave be?

Further what would a ballpark figure be for a 32-38' costs of; fuel, staple provisions, enroute port fees?

BTW got a quote for a 20,000lb 39' yacht shipped from CA to Austrlia and the estimate was $26,000 USD plus a cradle of $3000USD and then import costs through Customs and Quarinteen which look like they could be $5-10k AUD. This was based on a $50k USD valued yacht.

I have read all the info from cutoms and Quarinteen and crunched the numbers about 20 times over and have phoned and spoke with all regulating authorities quiite a few times. Sometimes the information seems to conflict but you will realise that when actually doing the import it may just depend on; you, the yach,t the agents and what kind of a day they are having.

Personally I think some, that give outrageouse figures as to what import and shipping fees cost, are perhaps giving figures for self interest. Just my opinion. I would suggest though before anyone went ahead they research compleatly and verify everything.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:43   #32

Boat: Simpson 12 extended
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Anyone here either shipped or got a quote for shipping a yacht to Australia from either the Med or the Caribbean?

I am looking at buying a 35 to 40ft yacht to play with in the Med for anywhere between a season or a couple of years and then taking it to Australia.

At them moment I have no idea if I will want to ship it from the Med or perhaps take it to the Caribbean and then ship it (after a season there).

It would be nice to get a feel for the cost to know what my total budget needs to be. I did write one company on the weekend asking for a ballpark figure, they offer that service to people looking to buy, but I have yet got a response.

Any suggestions on shipping companies would be appreciated.
Hi
When quoting on a trip like this it is normaly $3 a mile Us outside of OZ and $3 Aus inside the country plus costs EG entering countries and fuel you would have to check current import costs yourself(I belive an aus resident has to pay import straight away),If you are still interested in a quote you can contact me at svsokari@hotmail.com
Another way of enjoying the boat would be to have it delivered to thailand and use it there for a season or a place that you might enjoy and have it done in stages.
All the best John

Old 26-05-2016, 16:33   #33

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Cost: Shipping Yacht to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
Thanks Tony, the 6 months was sort of a guestimate of total time involved in settlement and any maintenance to get the boat ready (and ourselves) for the crossing etc. The actual journey itself could likely be compressed into around 3 months but would just take a bit of the fun out of it by rushing it too much. Having said that, you are right in that there could be a compromise somewhere like having it delivered on it's own bum to somewhere in the Pacific and picking it up from there. Cheers. Lisa
Just curious Kiwikat, what did you end up doing? We're currently looking at buying a 55 foot cat in the Caribbean and having it delivered to Panama or Tahiti and then sailing it the rest of the way back. Same as you, we don't really have the time now to take 6 months off to do the full delivery.
Old 26-05-2016, 20:15   #34

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Just curious Kiwikat, what did you end up doing? We're currently looking at buying a 55 foot cat in the Caribbean and having it delivered to Panama or Tahiti and then sailing it the rest of the way back. Same as you, we don't really have the time now to take 6 months off to do the full delivery.
Hi fxykty, we got lucky and found the boat we wanted as a private sale in Tahiti so that took the pressure off. We had a couple of weeks in Tahiti provisioning and getting the boat ready ,while the transaction went through and took a little over three weeks via a weekend stop in Fiji to get the boat home to NZ. GST and Import duty into NZ were calculated on the boat purchase price only, as we sailed it back ourselves.

Good luck with your venture, let us know how you go.

Cheers
Lisa
Old 26-05-2016, 22:50   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I have investigated and kept up ever the last 10 year on the subject shipping my boat rather than crossing oceans. I found there are 3 ways to do it.
#1 and the most known is Dockwise Transport and their float on/off vessels. They are the premium way and charge premium rates. By the way my same size vessel as Akio.... was quoted by DYT in 2004 at US$40K while the 42' boat next to me in a Trinidad marina was quoted US$20K. Seems that at that time DYT had a breakpoint at 50' LOA that doubled the price. I have read recently of 40 footers from USA to AUS being charges around US$60K.
#2 way is as mast-up deck cargo on a freighter. They used to run about 20 to 25% cheaper than DYT which was significant money. Peter and Mays in Tortola BVI handles this for the Caribbean.
#3 way is on Container Ships. This is the least expensive way to ship but the more involved and complicated way. It involves 3 different processes: Hauling the boat, taking down the mast(s) and prepping the exterior and interior. The another company comes in and builds a custom cradle to hold your boat that matches the attachment points and size of a container and they normally arrange to transport the boat from boatyard to the port container ship terminal. Finally, you "rent" as many "container" spaces on the ship as needed to accommodate your boat. The rate for container spaces 10 years ago was US$5K each. At the destination you reverse the process. Many boat manufacturers use the Container Ship option as it is the cheapest and they have the facilities and cradles to do the first two steps.
For smaller boats RORO (roll on-roll off) is an option. They are basically floating parking garages, you pull the mast, put it on a trailer and they drive it on. Positive side is the boat is out of the weather during the crossing.

We got a quote of $12k for US East Coast to Europe for a 34' gemni catamaran.

Dockwise quoted $20k but we have heard from a few sources if you can hang around they do offer last minute deals if there is space. Dockwise wouldn't confirm or deny it though but we were a year out when we talked to them.

In the end we wound up buying another cat in Europe.
Old 26-05-2016, 23:22   #36

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

It's funny that this thread should resurrect itself up just now. I'd just sent an email to the shipping company I've been talking to, to say that I want to ship with them and to officially start the process.

I will ship my boat from Turkey to either New Zealand or Australia (able to decide this closer to the loading date). I'm not sure yet if I'm bringing the boat to Melbourne or if I will continue a distance relationship and keep her in the Bay of Islands or Queensland.

NZ has the advantage that I can use it as a launching pad for a mini-adventure of cruising to Aus over a couple of seasons via South Pacific islands and possibly a savings on GST when I eventually land in Aus. I just need to find out whether Aus will charge GST on shipping to NZ if the boat is based in NZ/Fiji/New Caledonia for a couple of years before being imported.
Old 27-05-2016, 01:10   #37

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

I am also happy that this old thread is being resurrected.
As a new owner of a motoryacht in the Med, I would like to have it transported to Asia.
Can anyone suggest a reliable shipping broker to contact about this?
I have spoken to Sevenstar, who I am sure provide an excellent service all-round, but their prices are a bit out of my league.
Old 27-05-2016, 01:54   #38

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
I am also happy that this old thread is being resurrected.
As a new owner of a motoryacht in the Med, I would like to have it transported to Asia.
Can anyone suggest a reliable shipping broker to contact about this?
I have spoken to Sevenstar, who I am sure provide an excellent service all-round, but their prices are a bit out of my league.
I am using Sevenstar as they gave me the best shipping price. I had a quote from Peters and May that was double. It does seem to make a difference depending on how flexible you are with the loading and unloading ports. In my case, Sevenstar had a ship going from a close enough location directly to another close enough location. Peters and May on the other hand struggled to find a suitable journey and what they quoted for was via Singapore which I assume including transferring between ships.

I see you are in the Philippines and maybe you should get a good price if you ship to Singapore and motor it the rest of the way.

Tags
Australia, shipping

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: