Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 13:58   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Content Ideas for a Broker's Website - Ideas Wanted!

I have missed out responding to a couple of posts because I am still mulling then over........and because me dinner has just gone "ping"!.........will post some more later, or tommorow.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 14:12   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Just how small is the island? And how many boats have they sold in the last year? Or three? Is there any competition on the island?

Just wondering, if "small" means only a couple of boats in the year.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 14:34   #33

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

Of course I too chuckle at the adverts that say new in 2001 . But nonetheless that is useful to know, probably the best words are "installed" or "upgraded" or "replaced".

I don't know.

If I see the words "so and so upgraded", my first question is "When?".

Could be a '89 boat.
Old 09-09-2012, 14:39   #34

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
But certainly will be trying to get copies of any and all old Survey reports (whether 2 or 20 years old!) as they all contain useful info on what went wrong and when and how well (or if!) ever fixed. Won't be in the public listing, but nonetheless available to anyone who gets in contact (Broker needs to keep some cheese!).

You are making some sort of assumption that someone that surveys the boat actually knew what he/she was doing.

Enough posts on CF alone makes this seem a fantasy.
Old 09-09-2012, 14:43   #35

Quote:
I have missed out responding to a couple of posts because I am still mulling then over........and because me dinner has just gone "ping"!.........will post some more later, or tommorow.
Relax.

You don't have to bother with mine.

I just yak to fight off boredom.
Old 09-09-2012, 14:49   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Pics are important, especially for those a fair distance away. Also, a walk around tour with a video camera is an excellent and beneficial sales tool. Circle the boat first on the outside and work your way all over and down below.

Coops.
Most people make really crappy home movies.

Detail pics are better to stare at.

The 360°, user controlled vids (that we all love) are not cheap to make.
Old 09-09-2012, 14:52   #37

jannw,

You got it.

That is what I want too when/if I start again.

But most likely just asking too much of a human.

Best of luck with your new boat.
Old 09-09-2012, 17:02   #38

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

First, let me say, the example of the walkthough video is much superior to the videos of boats I've seen in YW.

Since we are again looking at another boat, let me throw in a couple of items in addition to what has already been mentioned. While these questions might not be applicable to all, but since we live about 1000 miles from the nearest large body of water, we have to travel everywhere to look at suitable cruising boats. Since the boat buying process is rarely short; viewing, test sail, survey, etc., it can be cost prohibitive to some to travel all over the country, find a boat, only to find out the cost to keep it there while looking at other boats, completing the purchase and/or repairs.

1.) If there are repairs that need to be made to the vessel, is there a local yard nearby with the capibility (ability) to perform the repairs.

2.) Can the vessel remain in the current location, and if so, the approximate cost. If it can't, a remark to the location of a nearby mooring or marina.

3.) DON'T use the term "sail-away ready" or "liveaboard-ready" unless the boat really is. While both are subjective to the individual, a vessel that requires new standing rigging, is NOT sail-away ready, etc.

I think I am in the majority, don't let me waste my time and money to travel a long distance to a boat that doesn't meet my requirements.

Good luck with this project David, it looks to be "fun"!
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:25   #39
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Just how small is the island? And how many boats have they sold in the last year? Or three? Is there any competition on the island?

Just wondering, if "small" means only a couple of boats in the year.
It's 9 x 5 in miles ....but we have IRO of 100,000 people here. 3 Marinas plus lots of mud moorings (tidal). IIRC, there are 3 or 4 other Brokers around - all bigger (by listings), in fact I have no idea how many boats "we" have listed at the moment! Website says 3 boats in my local harbour (with signs on) say half a dozen or so and likely a few more.....doesn't sound a lot, but given the little effort put into the brokerage side IMO quite remarkable has any! Historically I think had a couple or 3 dozen boats listed at a time. In practice that probably about the limit for the market (and effort available - the main business is as a boat yard)......but to my mind that no excuse not to do things "properly".

More to follow.....
Old 10-09-2012, 06:28   #40
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I don't know.

If I see the words "so and so upgraded", my first question is "When?".

Could be a '89 boat.
What I meant was "upgraded" etc in 1991 - rather than the word "new"........but upon reflection, perhaps new in 1991 is better .....as self-explanatory.

Anyway a detail for later.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:32   #41
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
You are making some sort of assumption that someone that surveys the boat actually knew what he/she was doing.

Enough posts on CF alone makes this seem a fantasy.
For sure - but IMO any survey is better than none, even an old one....actually in an ideal world I would personally like to see several - spanned over a decade, and one last week .

Of course accepting none can be relied upon (legally or for accuracy, originally let alone now ).......but imperfect knowledge better than none and all goes into the mix. But some folks will differ on how useful they would be, in which they don't need to read 'em .
Old 10-09-2012, 06:33   #42
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Relax.

You don't have to bother with mine.

I just yak to fight off boredom.
Lol Well, folks put the effort into responding - seems only fair enough to acknowledge the posts. and besides, if it seems like I am writing to myself it is because I am - this thread very much a working document .
Old 10-09-2012, 06:51   #43
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Most people make really crappy home movies.

Detail pics are better to stare at.

The 360°, user controlled vids (that we all love) are not cheap to make.
As said already - a short walkthough video is on the Agenda. won't be rivalling Spielberg - but 2 or 3 mins does show a lot, and helps Buyers imagine themselves onboard . Will likely use a Standard Script.

The 360 degree thing is not on the agenda - a) because I have NFI how to!, b) it sounds expensive for kit and in time / aggro and c) I think of main use is to show space, so more useful in a property than in a boat.

3D on the other hand...........
Old 10-09-2012, 07:58   #44

What I want to see in a boat listing...

1. Specs - All the usual, of course (LOA, LWL, beam, disp, ballast). Some specs that are occasionally left out, but that I WANT TO SEE: draft, mast height above water line, sail area, headroom, horsepower, capacities (water, fuel, holding).

2. Layout - I much prefer a listing that includes a diagram of the interior layout. Profile drawings of the underbody and rig are also nice to have.

3. Pictures - Make sure they are actually useful! I absolutely HATE listings that include a bunch of fuzzy pictures, many of which are too close up to be able to even tell what it is that you're looking at.

4. In general, the more details, the better. Brief listings that say "call for more details" are a turn-off. I suppose they do that because they think that if they get you on the phone, then they can give you the sales pitch. In reality, I rarely bother to call if the details I am looking for are not listed, so the strategy is counter-productive.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:25   #45
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Look at what real estate brokers are doing for their photos: they use a special camera that takes a 360 degree panorama and then show it to you on their website with a web interface that lets you tilt, pan, and zoom. The interior of a boat is a lot tougher to shoot than the interior of a house, but if you could make it work this would be a good sales too.
The "special camera" thing kinda rules that one out - but when it gets cheaper (free? ) / easier to use I would not rule it out. So definately one for the future rather than now.

Tags
Broker Website, DOJ, wanted