Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 07:10   #1

Considerations for the cruiser/racer purchase.

I am wondering if I could use the collective wisdom of this forum.
My sailing club is looking to buy a cruiser/racer in 27-34' size for the "communal" use. One of the issues that has arisen was a maintenance.

One point of view is to buy the most "common" boat, since it would be easier to find spare parts. From my perspective however, generally, shipyard is using standard equipment (like winches, block, engine, instruments) which is not specific to the boat design and can be purchased regardless.

If you would be buying a boat would you make it the most important consideration how many of those boats have been made?
Now, we are not talking about custom design or one of boats, but rather a choice between Catalina 30 (probably the most "produced" boat) and let's say Grampian 34 (I think 50 of them been made)?
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:20   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Considerations for the cruiser/racer purchase.

I've seen plenty of Catalina 30 and Beneteau Oceanis 31 boats racing on SF Bay so it might be better to go with the more common boat, not only for maintenance issues, but also to find more kindred skippers to get advice from on rigging and sails, etc. Might also want to check out the Express 27. They're really popular here, too.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I've seen plenty of Catalina 30 and Beneteau Oceanis 31 boats racing on SF Bay so it might be better to go with the more common boat, not only for maintenance issues, but also to find more kindred skippers to get advice from on rigging and sails, etc. Might also want to check out the Express 27. They're really popular here, too.
Thank you, it is an interesting point. Unfortunately, the main purpose of the boat would be "cruising" rather than racing, hence choice of Grampian 34 . But there is a Beneteau First 30 in our price range, which should be nice.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:17   #4

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
Thank you, it is an interesting point. Unfortunately, the main purpose of the boat would be "cruising" rather than racing, hence choice of Grampian 34 . But there is a Beneteau First 30 in our price range, which should be nice.
I wouldn't think a B First anything would satisfy the primary cruising criteria.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
I wouldn't think a B First anything would satisfy the primary cruising criteria.
It is an older Beneteau (~1992), I believe before they came up with Oceanis line, and is more "cruisy" than newer models. I probably have to specify that since it is a "club boat" we are not talking about month long cruise. More like overnighter or week long at most around Lake Ontario.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:29   #6

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
... If you would be buying a boat would you make it the most important consideration how many of those boats have been made?
No, this is an automobile kind of thinking. There is no such things as spare parts for boats. The "parts" are generic.

Quote:
Now, we are not talking about custom design or one of boats, but rather a choice between Catalina 30 (probably the most "produced" boat) and let's say Grampian 34 (I think 50 of them been made)?
Go more for quality rather than quantity sold. It needs research and the older the boat the more maintenance it will require. The number of boats sold is not necessarily an indication of quality, but rather economics and marketing.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
No, this is an automobile kind of thinking. There is no such things as spare parts for boats. The "parts" are generic.
This is my line of thinking exactly. Unlike cars where parts are generally (but not always) model specific, it should not be an issue for sailboats. I just want an additional conformation from more experienced people.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:59   #8

Boat: Nordhavn 50

You may find it easier to replace the sails on a mass produced boat. The common ones are easy to find new or used, as opposed to something that may be more custom. The other parts are mostly interchangeable like others have said.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, purchase, race, racer