Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 05:36   #46

Re: Comparing Operating Costs: Sailboat vs Trawler

Yeah, it's kind of funny reading some of the predictions from ten years ago that turned out to be wildly wrong.

But the answer is the same as it has always been: If you motor as much as, or more than, the average cruiser does then sailboat or power boat makes no meaningful difference. On the other hand, with a sailboat you have the option of sailing when you want to (or are willing to). So you ultimately have more control over your fuel costs. In the end, it's a question of being brutally honest with yourself about what kind of a sailor you are.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 02:41   #47
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Comparing Operating Costs: Sailboat vs Trawler

In the last 10 years, 40± sailing cats with spacious deck spaces have filled that trawler/sailboat gap quite nicely from an accommodation point of view.

The OP seemed to be overly focussed on running costs, vs build quality and sea keeping ability.

To me, those should be your first priority. But many novices don't realize that till after a few sea miles.

For me a strong motor sailor that can comfortably handle windward passages with steep wind against tide seas in the myriad of islands in Philippines, Indonesia etc...is my priority.

I see sail as my backup engine and vice versa when there is little wind or a turn around an island, puts it against you.

As a liveaboard without a fixed sailing agenda, you use the wind and choose favourable conditions for your next destination.
Before Solar, the majority of my fuel consumption was Generator for battery charging and making water. Now everything is 24v or via invertor, so Gen use is way down.

Running my 6 cylinder Perkins at 1000rpm with sail assist if winds are under 10 knots gives me a quiet 8 knt speed... and I am happy with that.

As a liveaboard, you tend to carry a lot of stuff and the rebuilt spare inventory grows.

I like those stored deep and low in dry steel bilges that gives me a good foot in the water.

I would not trade Stargazer for any other boat given the way I use her and the unsupported areas I visit
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail8.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	185800
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trawler