Skabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 17:59   #47

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
I travel to the depths of my imagination for now
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 18:08   #48

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Re: Commute to Your Boat, How Far?

10 minutes by foot - plan to get that down to zero over the summer when we move aboard.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 18:19   #49

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"

A block and a half to the boat.
Nice trailer Alchemy!That's my next project.

Phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
25 minute walk or 12 minute bicycle ride. I bought a house downtown in Toronto near Lake Ontario precisely because I prefer to spend money on boats than on a car, and that meant proximity to the shore. While I don't say no to borrowing or renting a car when I have to buy batteries or to move awkward stuff like tarp frames or booms or whisker poles, I am able to move through the use of cargo carts most of my gear by bicycle.

It keeps me fit (well, fitter...) and it frees up an estimated $7,000-$10,000/year for gear and the cruising kitty. I get that figure by being honest about the amortized cost of city driving, assuming a $30,000 car/van costing $3,000/year in insurance, and factoring in depreciation, parking, gas, tires, consumables and lifespan. I know a lot of people who can't get out of "poor" because they've rigged job and home so that they MUST have a car. Working your life forward from the premise that you'll avoid driving doesn't require sacrifice so much as strategy...much like planning to be a passagemaking cruiser.
Philsboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 18:30   #50

Boat: Chris Craft Connie 501
68 miles = an hour & 15 minutes through rural West Tennessee and about 1 minute into Mississippi. GO VOLS!!!!!
volboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 18:36   #51
Tam

Boat: Bayliner, Ciera 2855

4 miles. No stop lights or stop signs, only a flock a wild turkey that slow me down.
Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 19:17   #52

When the boat is laid up for the winter 2O minutes. During the sailing season 0 because I'm almost always living on it.
Old 20-04-2011, 10:42   #53

Boat: Gulfstar 50

196 miles until May 4th then only 30 thats when I have her trucked in!
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 11:05   #54

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enovillo View Post
Alchemy, nice bike set up.

I often cycle to the grocery store towing the bike trailer with both kids on board. The way back is always interesting, with kids and groceries sharing a space that keeps getting smaller as the kids grow up

And I hear you about the strategy to not own a car. I love to see my daughter proudly walk into her school with her bike helmet still on. That said, we still own 2 cars. Young kids, Canadian winters, two working parents, and bicycles don't combine well. The strategy is in place, though. Soon we'll start implementing it.
I realize London is snowier (esp. this year!) than Toronto, but I find that here proper clothing and going to more aggressively treaded tires (I use Armadillos, and I haven't had one puncture in three years) means you can really extend your season. Many is the time that it's -3C with no wind and dry streets. There may be snow heaped up BESIDE the streets, but the streets themselves can be remarkably ice free.

Part two of the car-free life is living in town close to food shopping. I live within a 15 minute cycle of a Metro, a Price Chopper, two No Frills, a Wal Mart, a thousand specialty stores and Kensington Market, where I tend to buy small items three or four mornings a week on foot after I walk my son to school.

The best part for me is that I have an old stable for a garage that, minus vehicles, has room for tools, sail bags, batteries and other stuff I prefer not to leave on the boat, with room for poker games and jam sessions left over.

Not everyone can live this way, but I started planning to live this way before I got into boating and bought the house in the late '90s. I saw what commuting even from the "inner suburbs" (45-90 minutes by car or transit) did to the quality of my parents' lives, and decided a home office just outside of the city center would pay back in quality of life whatever premium I paid to own a "close to shops, amenities and transit" older urban home.

By an extension of similar logic, we will move aboard our boat about six months prior to leaving on a long cruise, so that we can a) see how the tenants that take over the half of the house in which we currently live work out, and to handle maintenance issues, and b) to get rid of anything on the boat we think is essential but which we fail to touch for six months, beyond "flares", "life raft", etc.

A "static test" of the cruiser lifestyle in my mind means you can concentrate on the sailing aspect instead of the "I have to install handhelds at our first anchorage..."
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 11:12   #55

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Well I guess were backwards :My work is 15 miles and 20 min drive and we live on board sv We Be Jammin
Old 20-04-2011, 11:15   #56

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch

I have a 6 hour drive to my boat. But once I,m there, I stay for awhile.
kbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 16:39   #57

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
Well I guess were backwards :My work is 15 miles and 20 min drive and we live on board sv We Be Jammin
Actually, that sounds like the right way around to me.

Let me guess...you put your garbage and empty jerry cans in the trunk and drop in one place and fill in another, right?
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 17:07   #58

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
It is 440 ft to the parking lot. We live on the boat.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 17:25   #59

Boat: Cal 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbudd View Post
I have a 6 hour drive to my boat. But once I,m there, I stay for awhile.
Add about a half hour on top of that and you have my commute. Try to stay at least a week or so a month.
S/VSkylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 20:22   #60
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

In Puerto Galera our island home is on a beach with no road access, so we mostly commute with our own tender when Stargazer is on the club mooring (about 10 minutes into one of the most beautiful bays in the world)

For those who don’t know this area, the PGYC is a very active club that has developed a wonderful scholarship program for teaching local kids to sail in boats we have built in Puerto Galera ourselves. Puerto Galera Yacht Club Best Sailing The Philippines Equator Asia

It has become a great success with some of our local kids competing with world class sailors … and winning!! (see the small boats gallery in our web site). Most importantly, it has won over the whole community in supporting our club by giving disadvantaged kids a chance to broaden their horizons of opportunity.

We see lots of cruising yachts each year, some who end up staying much longer than planned as the laid back social scene with an enigmatic group of expats, operating mostly dive resorts, create a fun and friendly atmosphere.

The Easter and All Saints Regattas use staggered starts from inside the bay to various courses in Verde Passage so that different performance type yachts end up finishing close together….. Try and put us on your sailing plan… you won’t regret it.

You can see from these photos that I am truly spoiled and travel is more a commune than a commute!.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PG Comute.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	26406   Click image for larger version

Name:	TJD-PG-06.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	26407  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 DSC_0049.JPG