Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2013, 07:15   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Checking liens etc on a boat in Florida?

I did a Google search as well as here in CF, and can't seem to find any definitive answer on doing a lien or encumbrance search on a boat in Florida. The boat is not USCG registered, but registered in Florida.

As near as I can understand, encumbrances are registered in the county the boat is first registered in, but again, I cannot find anything that may indicate other sources of liens, such as IRS, mechanics, etc. Best information I found was this.

Any suggestions, especially from someone who has gone through this in Florida, is appreciated. Does anyone have a copy of a good bill of sale for Florida that covers the contingencies?
Old 23-04-2013, 07:59   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Checking liens etc on a boat in Florida?

A bill of sale isn't going to help you if you later find thousands of dollars of unsatisfied liens against your boat. It is only as good as the ethics of the seller unless you want to sue to recover. And if he didn't tell you about an unsatisfied lien then forget about his ethics.

Boat documentations services have ways to check for liens throughout a state. I don't know how they work.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 08:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Checking liens etc on a boat in Florida?

When it comes to detecting boat liens, it’s a matter of due diligence in checking all appropriate agencies where such recordings may occur. With regard to non-recorded liens, it will be necessary to survey any potential vendors that may have provided parts, supplies, or services to the boat. In the end however, there is no absolute assurance that all claims and liens will have been discovered. The affected parties should therefore look to title warranties and other guarantees in case of such events.

Judgment Lien Information ➥ www.sunbiz.org - Judgment Lien Information

Florida Public Records Guide ➥ State of Florida.com - State of Florida Public Records Guide

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida