Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2018, 23:39   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Charging for delivery

Hi all,

I’m considering the very faint possibility of offering to help a friend to deliver their boat at some stage in the next year.

I have not said anything to them yet, and they may not accept my offer if I were to do so. But they will need a skipper as they can not yet sail the boat and they cannot afford a real skipper unless their circumstances change.

The delivery would take around 3 to 4 weeks and would involve sailing an old but fundamentally seaworthy 30 year old yacht around 1500 miles of Australian coast. I am confident in my ability to handle the boat, solo if required.

But my dilemma is that I’d have to ask for payment as I’d be giving up casual employment opportunities in the process.

Ignoring the rate of pay, how much of a Pandora’s Box would I be opening if I were to do this?

I have a feeling it is too risky.

Matt
Old 22-02-2018, 23:55   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Charging for delivery

I think it depends on:

The state of friendship that already exists between you i.e. old mates, new mates, distant mate, mate of a mate, cobber etc.

Whether your mate thinks you are assisting him or that he is assisting you. The first you can't charge him but he might pay expenses, the second you can charge as you see fit and he may or may not engage you...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 23:56   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Bit difficult when it is for a friend.

I've done something similar twice ... Western Port - Eden and Stanley (Tas) - Eden.

Not long ones but when you factor in 'wait on wx' etc they took a bit of time.

I would think you would have to suck on down the time off work and look on it as a holiday..

Apart from that I would look for them to pay all my joining and leaving ( airfares etc ) costs plus all the vittling and a good lash up feed at destination.
Old 22-02-2018, 23:59   #4

Charging for delivery

Hmmm, getting a feeling I probably shouldn’t offer.

The friendship is new and tenuous.

The need is very, very real.

My ability to do the job as a holiday is non existent.

Not sounding good really when I put it that way.
Old 23-02-2018, 00:01   #5

Charging for delivery

Of course I was thinking paperwork and legals.
Old 23-02-2018, 01:20   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I have 'assisted' in similar situations. However the duration has always been one or two days.

I dont charge. Expenses covered is appreciated.

I much prefer to leave the long trips in the hands of professional delivery crews or solo captains like boatman61 or Atoll.

Why? Liability, insurance and livelihood.

15 days is a long time. It has turned into a job in itself. If something goes wrong, it could be 20 or more days. Friendships have a way of being reshaped in confined quarters and misunderstandings occur when the skipper has to be the skipper....

Thats my experience anyhows.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 03:30   #7

Yep, sound advice.

I fear it’s going to be a situation where I’d love to help but can’t. I mean I can do it for a fraction of the cost of a pro because of my life situation but the whole legal side has me worried.
Old 23-02-2018, 03:38   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Charging for delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Yep, sound advice.

I fear it’s going to be a situation where I’d love to help but can’t. I mean I can do it for a fraction of the cost of a pro because of my life situation but the whole legal side has me worried.
GILow.. if he wants you to do the trip get him to write you in on his insurance policy.. it should cost him no extra for the additional skipper inclusion, if anything your experience may even bring his premium down as you've stated they are inexperienced.. when he renews he just takes you off..
That should cover any reprecussion's regarding the boat.. as to your compensation.. that is something only you and he can trash out.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 05:08   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

30 year old yacht!
better he hires you as the engineer than as the skipper!
i don't know how many times i have had to work on just about every system on an old yacht just to be able to leave port!
then spent considerable time enroute fixing things as they break!
skippering is the easy part!
here is a tip, before you leave disconnect the batteries from shore power and see how long they hold a charge.....4 hours to get below 12v probably means they are shot....

now ,worst case scenario, consider how much you would get paid in your normal job for working 20 hour days,in a high stress environment,outdoors in all weathers,with faulty equipment,and potentially unstable co-workers...........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 06:25   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I've done quite a few deliveries with less experienced owners (most of them 4 - 7 days). I always make the point that I am not the skipper - that responsibility stays with the owner. I call myself the "sailing master" I make recommendations, but the ultimate decisions remain with the owner - it's his investment that is at risk.

I've never charged a fee - they just pay all costs including airfares, provisioning etc. I do it for the pleasure, not the money. As soon as you want money to do it, you run into all the problems inherent in insurance, liability, licencing etc.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 14:23   #11

Charging for delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
GILow.. if he wants you to do the trip get him to write you in on his insurance policy.. it should cost him no extra for the additional skipper inclusion, if anything your experience may even bring his premium down as you've stated they are inexperienced.. when he renews he just takes you off..
That should cover any reprecussion's regarding the boat.. as to your compensation.. that is something only you and he can trash out.

Boatie, thank you. I hadn’t thought of that. Putting me on the policy would cover most of the legal concerns in my mind.

Pay rates... well, if I did this it would be for a pittance. They can’t afford a skipper which is why I am even considering making the offer. Considering only, I stress.
Old 23-02-2018, 14:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
30 year old yacht!
better he hires you as the engineer than as the skipper!
i don't know how many times i have had to work on just about every system on an old yacht just to be able to leave port!
then spent considerable time enroute fixing things as they break!
skippering is the easy part!
here is a tip, before you leave disconnect the batteries from shore power and see how long they hold a charge.....4 hours to get below 12v probably means they are shot....

now ,worst case scenario, consider how much you would get paid in your normal job for working 20 hour days,in a high stress environment,outdoors in all weathers,with faulty equipment,and potentially unstable co-workers...........

Atoll, if only I’d had your wisdom when I bought my boat. It was EXACTLY as you suggested, half a day away from shore power and the 800AH battery bank went totally dead. Then the alternator stopped charging, the solar panels turned out to be producing less than 50 watts and all we could do was hand steer and limp along using the power from the wind gen.

Lesson learned but good to be reminded.

Yes, the boat needs an engineer on board. I think the first delivery attempt failed because the delivery skipper either could not do the work required or felt (possibly correctly) that too much work was required. The boat is better now and I am very comfortable with all of her systems which are of the same era as my boat and in many cases the same make and models.

Rate of pay for the conditions you describe...? Well, let’s just say I’d be doing this out of friendship, not as a means of making a living.
Old 23-02-2018, 14:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I've done quite a few deliveries with less experienced owners (most of them 4 - 7 days). I always make the point that I am not the skipper - that responsibility stays with the owner. I call myself the "sailing master" I make recommendations, but the ultimate decisions remain with the owner - it's his investment that is at risk.

I've never charged a fee - they just pay all costs including airfares, provisioning etc. I do it for the pleasure, not the money. As soon as you want money to do it, you run into all the problems inherent in insurance, liability, licencing etc.

Stu, in an ideal world I wouldn’t need to charge and I’d be able to jump aboard as a particularly handy crew member. But my life situation doesn’t give me that luxury now.

Boatie’s insurance suggestion is one I will follow up, but I also need to figure out if there are any other legal implications from accepting even a token fee.
Old 23-02-2018, 14:54   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My view: The best things that should be shared between friends are: adventures, good times, good memories, good food and drink, and most importantly, trust.

When money changes hands, it can change things and people.

In my view, a good friend is more valuable than money. Unfortunately when a friend loses money because of a friend, they often lose that friend too.

That said, I have developed many long-lasting, strong, trusting friendships AFTER being paid to do something for someone with whom I was a stranger before.

I think the key is to clearly define (in writing, even among friends) the expectations both parties have, and for BOTH parties to try to fulfill those expectations, and to be flexible enough to adapt to circumstances that may require some changes in plans.

Good luck on your decision, friendship, and Bon Voyage!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 14:57   #15

Pretty sound advice!

Tags
charging, delivery