Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2012, 12:49   #16
Lt.
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wasilla AK
Posts: 181
What if I enjoy working on engines? I am a bit of a gear (petrol) head, so engines aren't a big deal, heads (toilets)...... Maybe, but that's what you have to except in return for more space, right.
__________________

__________________
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 13:06   #17
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: No longer post here
Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Posts: 2,462
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
What if I enjoy working on engines? I am a bit of a gear (petrol) head, so engines aren't a big deal, heads (toilets)...... Maybe, but that's what you have to except in return for more space, right.
A year or so ago I had some time and with my buddy the Yanmar diesel mechanic as my tutor, I pulled my diesel engines from the boat, and actually rebuilt one. It's about 50% of the complexity of a gasoline engine.

I actually used a traditional racing machine shop to hone my block and regrind the valves. Both operations cost a whopping $40.00.

The most expensive item? New Yanmar engine mounts which cost over $100.00 apiece (you need 4 per engine).

It was a learning experience which I will not have to repeat as I only put on about 100 engine hours a year, and I'm good for 10,000. You do the math..
__________________

__________________
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 13:19   #18
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull Costs

There is no real reason why a cat must have two engines

single central diesel with lift up steerable leg in super shockwaves


single central diesel with lift up steerable leg in Fastback 40's


Several catamaran designs have a single diesel in one hull and they track just fine.

Many smaller catamarans 10 metres down have single outboards in a central pod.


No reason why a cat needs two heads either.
Many don't.
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:53   #19
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 85
This all just proves my point. Cat owners are touchy. They feel the need to justify themselves.
__________________
DJBrookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:13   #20
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: No longer post here
Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Posts: 2,462
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBrookster View Post
This all just proves my point. Cat owners are touchy. They feel the need to justify themselves.
What point are you proving? Justify themselves how? And as opposed to whom? People who hang out on a cruising forum and feel free to comment when they don't even own a boat?

For the record .. 90% of Catamaran owners are former monohull owners, who upgraded to two hulls for a reason, and had enough money in their cruising kitty to do so.

Lastly, here's a startling fact. If you reread the posts, no one here is trying to sell anyone a catamaran.

Yet... Look who's decided to be so touchy!


Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
There is no real reason why a cat must have two engines

single central diesel with lift up steerable leg in super shockwaves.
Several catamaran designs have a single diesel in one hull and they track just fine.

Many smaller catamarans 10 metres down have single outboards in a central pod.
I've tried it both ways and will disagree. two engines not only make maneuverability simple, the redundancy is comforting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
No reason why a cat needs two heads either.
Many don't.
All Charter boats.
__________________
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 14:28   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,454
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull Costs

FWIW,

In our cruising areas (Oz, NZ, S Pacific islands) cats are routinely charged extra for marina berths. Differing amounts, but IME, always more than the same length mono.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 15:24   #22
Registered User
 
Jon Hacking's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Currently cruising Southern Indonesia, heading for peninsular Malaysia
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Posts: 523
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
In our cruising areas (Oz, NZ, S Pacific islands) cats are routinely charged extra for marina berths. Differing amounts, but IME, always more than the same length mono.
We've only used marinas in SE Asia, where some charge an extra ~30% for multis & some don't (even though they may say they do). If they can't get another boat in next to you, they've got a valid point (indeed, they could legitimately charge per slip).

If a cat has 30% more "boat" (beds, heads, living space, etc) then it's just paying for an amount of boat, which seems reasonable. But most budget cruisers (which I think covers the OP) don't spend enough time in marinas to worry about it. We carry our "marina" on our bow.

I must also agree with Tropic Cat. "No one considers buying a catamaran as a cost saving measure." You buy a boat (any type) because you want its unique features.
__________________
-- Jon Hacking s/v Ocelot
Jon Hacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 16:27   #23
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat

What point are you proving? Justify themselves how? And as opposed to whom? People who hang out on a cruising forum and feel free to comment when they don't even own a boat?

For the record .. 90% of Catamaran owners are former monohull owners, who upgraded to two hulls for a reason, and had enough money in their cruising kitty to do so.

Lastly, here's a startling fact. If you reread the posts, no one here is trying to sell anyone a catamaran.

Yet... Look who's decided to be so touchy!

I've tried it both ways and will disagree. two engines not only make maneuverability simple, the redundancy is comforting.

All Charter boats.
There you go again. It must be a disease or a condition at the very least.

Everybody pays their money and makes their choice. There is no right or wrong.
__________________
DJBrookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 17:40   #24
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: No longer post here
Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Posts: 2,462
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBrookster View Post
There you go again. It must be a disease or a condition at the very least.
There I go again? I asked you three questions. Count them.

I asked because I have no idea of what you're talking about.

While I'm taking the time to respond, do us a favor. Please let us know your boat owner's experience with monos and catamarans. Then maybe you can explain why you own the boat you do and why you didn't buy a catamaran.

If you insist on taking shots at us...this is only fair.
__________________
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 17:52   #25
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.
What costs more to own? Maintain? Outfit with gear, essential or not so essential? Run? And BUY! someday when I plan to buy, I plan to have, roughly, $75,000-125,000$?
Someone seroiusly needs to show you the search function. Half the questions you poast are borderline trolling.

If you've been on cf a week you should know the cat mono debate is a hot spot. If you've been here 3 days you should be able to find at least 50 threads on cat v mono.

Then if you have a question not covered before ask it in context.

I sense you really are trying to learn some stuff. I also sense you are many years away from actually buying a boat.

And guys - do you really want to slug it out on another my cat vs. your mono train wreck?

Cats and monos are different - Gee, whoda thought...
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 17:56   #26
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: No longer post here
Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Posts: 2,462
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
.....

And guys - do you really want to slug it out on another my cat vs. your mono train wreck?

Cats and monos are different - Gee, whoda thought...
Hell no
__________________
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 20:17   #27
Senior Cruiser
 
maxingout's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fort Pierce, Phoenix
Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Posts: 2,606
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull Costs

I love sailboats. The number of hulls is irrelevant.
__________________
Dave -Sailing Vessel Exit Only

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 20:58   #28
Registered User
 
Strygaldwir's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Deale, Maryland
Boat: SeaView - Privilege 37
Posts: 1,020
Images: 5
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull Costs

Actually, I love boats. Pretty much most of the people are outstanding to be about.

Yes, Cats are more expensive. Think about carrying all the spares you have in a catamaran. Two, engines, starters, generators, pumps, impellers... You get the idea. Now think of the cost. Engine related systems can get VERY expensive. I abandoned notions of high output alternators when I multiplied every thing by about two. But, it is a spare and I use only one engine 95% of the time.

I have never noticed a difference in dockage fees. I have a 22 foot beam so hauling is another issue. I have to find a yard with a lift that is wide enough to haul me. In MOST locations this results in 1.5 or more over the cost of mono. It also means less places to select from. If you stay with a beam under 20 feet, this may not be as big an issue.

Hull maintenance requires more time. Sanding the bottom of two hulls gets... tedious or more expensive.

Having said all that. I can live aboard my cat without too many sacrifices. It makes it far in away worth the cost.

Sailing. If you like the exhiliration of sailing, don't get a cruising catamaran. It is just a boring get you there with no excitement experience. Just cruising at 8 knots, hour after hour, no rail in the water, no leaning, no stuff sliding around... definately not as exciting. I love to cruise in my cat, definately not high on my list just to go out go in circles for an hour and come back. (I do enjoy this however in a monohull).
__________________
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 21:46   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,061
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir View Post
snip
I have never noticed a difference in dockage fees. I have a 22 foot beam so hauling is another issue. I have to find a yard with a lift that is wide enough to haul me. In MOST locations this results in 1.5 or more over the cost of mono. It also means less places to select from. If you stay with a beam under 20 feet, this may not be as big an issue.

Hull maintenance requires more time. Sanding the bottom of two hulls gets... tedious or more expensive.

Having said all that. I can live aboard my cat without too many sacrifices. It makes it far in away worth the cost.

Sailing. If you like the exhiliration of sailing, don't get a cruising catamaran. It is just a boring get you there with no excitement experience. Just cruising at 8 knots, hour after hour, no rail in the water, no leaning, no stuff sliding around... definitely not as exciting. I love to cruise in my cat, definitely not high on my list just to go out go in circles for an hour and come back. (I do enjoy this however in a monohull).
1) Have you considered carrying a lifting bridle? I carry them aboard. You can buy load-rated polyester lifting straps or make your own out of Dyneema (lighter). Then you could also be hauled by any crane with adequate capacity.

2) Sanding: I think cats and tris have about the same TOTAL underwater surface area as monos of equal displacement (less compared to monos with full keels). OTOH the topsides is where you have twice (or three times) the surface area as monos. On my ~40 foot tri, I have to use about 240 feet of masking tape on the waterline (40x2)x3. If I compound/wax and paint the bottom it has to be taped twice! 3M loves me The compound/wax job is like doing 3 boats.

3) Sailing? NOTHING sails better than a tri. It heels a little, giving you a good sense for how hard you're being pressed, but hardens up to translate more wind into speed. Pure joy to sail. The biggest trade-off of a tri is less main cabin space for a given hull length.
__________________
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 22:29   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,651
Images: 3
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBrookster View Post
This all just proves my point. Cat owners are touchy. They feel the need to justify themselves.
Excellent contributions to the OP's questions. Great justification with your contributions.
__________________

__________________
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
catamaran, monohull

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:24.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.