Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-09-2009, 16:36   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
I didn't look at the pictures either but even though they appear happy maybe some caring doctor among us could do a mission of mercy to separate those twins cojoined at the butt. The lighter haired one must get tired of walking backwards everywhere...

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 16:46   #32

I quite like the petite one on the right in the last pic. Anyone have her number?

Old 23-09-2009, 18:55   #33

Boat: Mainship 34, Flying Scot
I'd second those who recommended getting the boat down island, it's a pretty serious bash sailing to the eastern caribbean from Florida, especially if you're on a schedule. Get the boat down there and have all the time to enjoy exploring the islands with less time pressure. Something like the Grampian posted earlier would probably do just fine. Unless you're not much for drinking, I also think your budget for that item is low.
Old 24-09-2009, 06:11   #34

Boat: Albin Ballad; 1978; 30'-00" "SVINT II"
Oh boy, to be young again.....
If I was 20 years old and have buddies willing to dive into a pool full of crockodiles, I will make sure I'm the best swimmer and then jump....
40 years from now you will look back and think....what a time we had!!!!
Old 24-09-2009, 06:27   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
I quite like the petite one on the right in the last pic. Anyone have her number?
Scrub that. After further thought I decided that eating while she's dancing is bad manners. The wedding is off!
Old 24-09-2009, 07:59   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - There is something for everyone. From left to right - For those young folks half the age of the 20y.o.'s there is: For those a decade or more over 20 there is: - For those twice the age of the 20y.o. there is: - For those triple the age, there is: - and finally for those too far over the age to remember 20 - there is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GrenadaCarnival2008Aug3604F10.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	10101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grenada2009Carnival4029F30.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	10102  

Name:	Grenada2008Aug3619F40.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	10103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grenada2008Aug3617F60.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	10105  

Name:	Grenada2009Carnival4084F70.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	10106  
Old 06-10-2009, 16:06   #37

Boat: 1979 Catalina 30 - Aibell
Thanks for all the tips guys. We got a little... sidetracked towards the end but thanks so much for all your posts.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:27   #38

Boat: 1975 tartan 27
One other thing you all may not have factored factored in, that certainly surprised me a bit, is how long it takes from saying "I'd like that boat" to "I own that boat," particularly if you're getting a survey (which you really should if it's your first boat).

I started seriously looking at boats back in mid-July. Had an offer on one, but it fell through after the boat failed to start the engine to get to the survey. Found a better boat in late August, started the process of an offer on September 7. Now finally looking to close by the end of the week.

So the whole process of getting a boat has taken me nearly 3 months. Some of that was due to scheduling difficulties on my end, but the month from offer to close on this last boat has been mostly circumstances beyond my control (like for instance, a gale on the day the boat was originally supposed to be hauled out and surveyed).

This is not to discourage you, I am of a similar age (25) and temprament to you guys. Just letting you know that six months is an awfully short time to go from no boat to being out there, living the life.

Fair winds,

----Paul
Old 28-10-2009, 22:27   #39

Boat: FP Bahia Maestro 46'
Smile

Time ago now, but I and a friend, both 23, bought a 26' catamaran to go cruising.
A very basic boat.
Electronics were an echo sounder, a handheld RDF that really was useless, and a transistor radio. (That's receiver only. We did not have any transmitter on board.) Other equipment was a compass, a plastic sextant, an outboard that we had no gas money for, dinghy with oars, charts for the first 1/3 of our trip, pilot books for the next 1/3, and a school atlas for the rest.
Our fitting out included buying a couple of navy surplus sails, a section of a heavy drop parachute that we 'converted' into a spinnaker, and a new Bruce anchor. Lots of canned food, flour, rice and spices. And beer, wine and hard liquor. (We always poured a shot over the side for Neptune every departure.) Speargun and fishing tackle also.

Cruised more than a year, lived high and exhuberantly.

I want to go back!!!!

I say don't overthink, buy a basic boat, and go for it!

Blue Skies
Old 12-11-2009, 10:04   #40

Dreams are great and by Gawd go for it!! But if theres anything that you must put on the top of the list is SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!!! An adventure can become a nightmare if you are not prepared!! Have a plan when your a mile offshore or a few hundred.................Best to you!
Old 14-11-2009, 11:34   #41

ok, 3 20 year old males and an adventure involving beer, beach and bikinis. Unless you want to start a family tree down there be sure to add a team of trojans to your shopping list.

In all seriousness, buy a boat there and hopefully one coming off a liveaboard situation, all the little stuff is usually left with the boat but buying it will nickle and dime ya. A boat with a water maker, generator and a microwave would be awesome but obviously not cheap. Having an experienced sailor go over it for you is a must, out of the water. NEVER challenge the weather. As newbies, for the long passages try to find a buddy boat to go with. Staying in the Bahamas is probably the best idea. Learn about what fish you can eat and fish for suppers. There is a disease that some fish there get that will make you very sick. I forget the name of the disease but ask when there. Cook on logs (not using propane) in quiet inlets where safe to do so. Eat on the cheap to train the body starting about a month before. Multi-vitamins should be a daily thing when sacrificing food on the budget. You will need drinking water and lots of it. Start a blog at sailblogs.com so we can all follow and list your spendings each day. As you list them maybe a more experienced cruiser will send you tips along the way. I'm jealous, be safe and watch your draft.
Old 17-11-2009, 12:38   #42

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Any updates Salty? Are you guys any closer to the goal?
Spencer
Old 23-11-2009, 00:20   #43

Boat: Will be a Steel hulled Cape Horner
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyspringer View Post
Hey everybody, perhaps I better explain our situation a little better. I kind of just made that posting on the fly to see what people's reactions would be... guess i got a little douse of realism!

We're three Canadian 20-year old students, and we'll absolutely be living on the cheap. We're not looking for the glamorous cruising lifestyle many go to the Caribbean for. Rather we're looking for some good sailing and a great adventure.

We understand this means we can opt for peanut butter and jam sandwiches rather than lobster dinners and anchorages rather than marina slips, but we CANNOT take a boat that isn't seaworthy for the trip.

We're looking for a ~30' cruiser in Florida. We have free accomodation in Ft. Lauderdale so hotel costs aren't an issue there. We've been told that given the number of boats and the state of the economy in Florida we could be able to get a seaworthy boat in the $15 - $20 000 range. Do you think it will it take more to get it ready for the open waters than another $3 - $4000 in Florida?

I was quoted $650 for boat insurance for 6 months through out the waters will be travelling. Think it will be more?

Health insurance we still have to look into but we are from Canada and the system here is a little more forgiving towards our situation.

Any changes in thoughts now? Or is our dream still a flop?

Nothing wrong with your Idea, some have done it for much less.
Get really good Ground Tackle and stay out of Marinas as much as Possible and of course be as organized as possible. Learn the difference between wants and needs and you may have Money leftover.
Old 30-11-2009, 08:26   #44

Boat: 1979 Catalina 30 - Aibell
Hey all,

For anyone who is interested, this is a rough breakdown of our expenses so far. We are just about finishing our outfitting and will be heading across the gulf stream to the Bahamas next week!

1979 Catalina 30' - $13 500 (asking price 16 750)
Survey (Alex Dormoy, Miami, incredible surveyor) - $450
9' Caribe Inflatable, rigid hull: $350
15 hp Johnson outboard: $400
Replaced Lower Shrouds: $400
Replaced Wooden Spreaders: $200
Food Provisioning (costco): $1000 (should get us 5 months, given we eat super cheap, and catch fish)
Re-registering vessel to Canadian Registration: $350
Hotels/food in Miami while looking for boat: $300 per person
Tools: $500
Fishing Gear: $400
Garmin 440s: $450
Lifejackets: $500
Bahamian Entry Fee: $150
Rope/Chain/Fire Extinguishers/Flare kits etc. = $500
= $19850 USD

One thing we still need before we head out is CHARTS! We will have a GPS chartplotter with the chip (probably) but we still want paper charts for every place we go. Does anyone know the best way of doing this? Copies? Explorer chart books? Originals??
Old 30-11-2009, 08:44   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
>>>>One thing we still need before we head out is CHARTS!<<<<
If you are going to take a lapbook computer with you that has WiFi you can download free marine navigation system from Seaclear II : SeaClear GPS Navigation Software
- -You can use a GPS cable/adaptor to your computer to feed the automatic "moving map" or you can just use the program to display maps. On ebay you can search for USB GPS "hockey puck" style units that plug into your lapbook's USB port and send your lat/long to SeaClear II. They go for about USD$20 to 30 which is a lot better than the $300+ marine stores want.
- - You can download USA coastal marine raster charts for free from NOAA.
- - Also you can find old charts and chart books at "Sailorman" in Ft Lauderdale. They have a warehouse full of everything nautical - sort of a used parts store for boats. They are located on State Road 84 in Ft Lauderdale which has an exit off I-95. They are just past "Lester's Dinner" on the south side of the State Road 84 just past the railroad tracks. The whole area around them is full of boat parts and supply stores.
- - If you continue past "Sailorman" to US1 and hang a left (northbound) you will see a huge West Marine Store on the right. Further up US1 take a right on 17th street and about halfway to the beach on the left is a shopping center with BlueWater charts store (I don't know for sure that they are still there, you might need to Google them to find out the location).

Tags
Caribbean

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: