Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-07-2016, 12:26   #31

Boat: want a 40'+ high volume (comfort) economical cruising catamaran
Re: Canadian buying a boat in US to travel the world. (tax question)

another concern you may have as a Canadian with no home residence, you may be denied entry to the US. The US border patrol are suspicious of those with no fixed address as they may try to stay permanently.
Some people that i know were denied entry in their RV, they sold there home here and wanted to travel to the US. They were turned around at the border.
Just a thought.
Catman

Old 24-07-2016, 15:39   #32

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by helise View Post
Dear hobie_ind,

Please understand carefully the title of the subject "Canadian buying a boat in US to travel the world. (tax question)".

He is buying a boat in US to travel the world and he is looking for a country to flag his boat without paying any taxes. That was his priority and subject above.

Your researched was outdated and I am very sure that you do not intent to live in the car unless you are inhuman. Bringing a rental car and bringing a foreign registered boat into Canada are two different issues.

If you can not understand the subject to be discuss and the laws pertaining car and boat, please keep quite and DO NOT confusing others........

Best Regards,

Elise.
I guess I should say 'Thank You' for the very slight reduction in condescention from last time? I'm sure you don't come across as this abrasive in person, so I'll just chalk it up to one of the quirks of anonymous forum communication and give you the benefit of the doubt.

I understood that the OP is planning on buying a boat to travel the world. I also noted that in a followup post he stated this:
"183+ days? Yeah, that's not going to work.

The plan is to give-up my Canadian residence, buy a boat next month and sail it back to Canada for a 2 month stay before leaving for good..."

So I'll stand by my recommendation that the OP seek some guidance from a knowledgeable tax lawyer or accountant as his current plan still looks like it's differnet enough from your situation (my apologies for assuming it was just that your husband was American), that simply having the yacht registered elsewhere (and even declares his address to be outside of Canada) may not be enough if he brings the boat in a month after leaving and then Customs decides they don't agree. In that case, there are a myriad of details such as banking, drivers license, travel/residency history in a passport, visas, etc, that Revenue Canada could evaluate to determine whether you meet their conditions for 'non-residency', and I'm still not convinced that simply telling the OP to register his boat in Lankawi and give his address as the agent's in Malaysia will meet all of those requirements on the timeframe the OP is talking about.

Finally, I was never suggesting that the car was to be lived in. I was simply noting that even simple unexpected things such as this can be complicated by small details. A couple of years ago, some friends of our from the Caribbean had the issue when trying to go into Canada with a U.S. rental car for a visit. They were living on their boat in the Caribbean with no permanent address in Canada, but the Driver's Licenses they had were Canadian with a family member's address and that is what caused the problem. Maybe others have done this with no issues and they simply got an agent on a REALLY bad day, but sometimes that's all it takes and it simply served as an example of a small 'detail' becoming an issue in these more unusual circumstances.

I'm now going back to my coffee and Bailey's, in the cockpit of our boat bought outside of Canada and therefore not subject to Canadian taxes either, overlooking a nice deserted, tranquil bay.

Regards,
Mark

Old 24-07-2016, 17:32   #33

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Actually, further to this topic.

helise, as a 'Marine Service Provider' according to your profile, and noting that virtually every post you've made to date references them, can you please confirm what your affiliation with Lankawi International Yacht Registry is?

One of the things that flagged my interest in this thread for me is that I've been considering what the benefits of changing to a foreign flag might be for our specific situation. Given that, I've been looking at the multitude of pretty straightforward options out there for that (ie. Cook Islands, BVI's, Malaysia, etc) as well as comparing a number of the companies (and whether it's needed) that provide assistance in those locations.

Thanks
Old 26-07-2016, 03:52   #34
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie_ind View Post
Actually, further to this topic.

helise, as a 'Marine Service Provider' according to your profile, and noting that virtually every post you've made to date references them, can you please confirm what your affiliation with Lankawi International Yacht Registry is?

One of the things that flagged my interest in this thread for me is that I've been considering what the benefits of changing to a foreign flag might be for our specific situation. Given that, I've been looking at the multitude of pretty straightforward options out there for that (ie. Cook Islands, BVI's, Malaysia, etc) as well as comparing a number of the companies (and whether it's needed) that provide assistance in those locations.

Thanks
Hi! Mark,

Just for your knowledge, beside having own boats, we are running Super and Mega Yachts Charter services in Caribbeans, South Mediterranean, Singapore and Phuket, Thailand.

I would says that Langkawi registered yacht are more easy to run and maintained, duty free from registration to income from chartering etc.

You do not have to incorporated IBC to register your yacht in Langkawi. You can charter-out your yacht to anyone in Caribbeans either BVI or US BVI, unlike BVI registered yacht. You can not charter-out to local or US Citizens and etc.

Your research are out dated and maybe you are not following the world.

Best regards.

Elise.

Tags
buying

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: