Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2015, 15:13   #1

Boat: Jefferson 42 trawler
Can someone review this please before I pay for survey

I'm a first time sailboat buyer, long time trawler owner. I'm looking to sail carribean down to Belize area for a year or two. Would this be large enough and outfitted enough for 2-3 of us to be comfortable ?

1971 Pearson 35 sailboat

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jgoshow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 15:32   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Can someone review this please before I pay for survey

Only you can say if you will be comfortable in the space available but the first thing your surveyor and insurance company are going to tell you is to get rid of that propane refrigerator, it does not meet ABYC Standards.
Old 12-01-2015, 15:53   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I could be comfortable on it....I have no Idea if you could. But I'll second BoatPokers thoughts on the fridge......If it runs on propane it uses either 120/12/propane to heat a cylinder and has no place on a boat that leans, nor is it installed like it would be in an RV with an exterior vent.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 16:04   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

For two people it would be fine. holding and water tanks are short for three people. I might disconnect the propane from the fridge and just use it as a 12V/120V. A propane fridge is not so safe, aboard a boat and as boatpoker said the insurance folks will have a cow over it. Plus the location makes it a pain to open the fridge door without removing the companion way steps.

The 22 # claw is way too light and the 66# will be a bit** to haul without a windlass.

Three people would be tight long term, assuming full time cruising.
Figure you'll need new batteries soon, plus a bottom job and new flares, plus the furler and a new main. Beta engine is a plus. Maybe for $14-15k
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 16:05   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Can someone review this please before I pay for survey

Nice boat... great for the Bahama's.. and further..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 16:43   #6

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I like it. Be aware as you look at other boats that some can have a substantial bowsprit (not this one) which is included in the length. The actual boat is then smaller by that much feet which means less room for you. As they say "boats are compromises".
Old 12-01-2015, 17:34   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgoshow1 View Post
I'm a first time sailboat buyer, long time trawler owner. I'm looking to sail carribean down to Belize area for a year or two. Would this be large enough and outfitted enough for 2-3 of us to be comfortable ?

1971 Pearson 35 sailboat

I have owned a Pearson and know them somewhat. Very strong, very tough, very well built boats.

That one will be very, very slow.

Very cramped compared to more modern boats of similar size.

Very old and tired looking, although the Beta engine is a big plus.

If I were you, I would try to stretch for something a bit fresher. I'm not sure that's such good value for the money. If you like Pearsons, look for the much improved and much better sailing P37, or even the P365, which doesn't sail much better, but is much better laid out and more modern. I think you can find these boats for around that kind of money; and for sure if you can stretch to 30k or so.

In any case, if I were you, I would take my time and look at a lot of boats -- and preferably sail a few of them -- before making a final decision. There are a lot of fish in the sea.

Just my opinion.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 17:58   #8

Thank you all for your advice. I will continue my search for a more modern vessel. Do the cats handle blue water as well as a monohaul?

Old 12-01-2015, 18:48   #9

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Thank you all for your advice. I will continue my search for a more modern vessel. Do the cats handle blue water as well as a monohaul?

Most do pretty well although island hopping in the Carib isn't technically imo blue water because everything is so close. You can wait out a weather window which is something you can't do in the middle of the Atlantic.
Old 12-01-2015, 18:52   #10

Boat: Skookum 53'

A Cat would certainly give you more liveaboard room for the same length. Also the Cat would open up more places for you to explore due to the draft. I am not a cat person, so would not know what make to recommend, there are plenty of avid cat people here that can guide you to the best type for what you want to do.
Old 12-01-2015, 19:09   #11

Quote:

1971 Pearson 35 sailboat
I agree with sailorchic.

There are many boats, even of that vintage, in that size, which have many more accommodations below.

The full width galley deprives the boat of an aft cabin which many boats even of 33-34 feet in later models have incorporated, to say nothing of at least a quarterberth. This makes it a 2 person boat, would be a big squeeze to fit three with little privacy for #3. It's just the reality of the layout on the given hull length. It's like having two small tents for two people or trying to fit another one in, or having three tents ("rooms").

You've had a trawler, you know "space."

Only you can judge, but those are the realities of that particular boat's layout.

Even a quarterberth would give the physical and psychological advantage of the additional space.

Have you had an opportunity to actually climb into the V berth (don't recall your location vs. the boat's). Suggest you do so as soon as possible if you remain interested in this one.

Good luck, happy hunting.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 19:10   #12

From the sound of your letter, you are going to sail in the western Carribean. If so then that boat would be a good boat to do it in. You will never be too far from land except when you sail across the Gulf. Your draft will be shallow enough that you can handle most of Belize waters. It is a wonderful area to visit. That boat is a very well-built boat and other than being a little cramped for dancing it will be very comfortable. I've spent most of 10 years in that part of the Ocean. Try to get up to the Reo Dulce area of Guatemala. Also, Cuba is a beautiful country to explore, especially the bottom side. That looked like, a very fine price in my estimation. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 04:11   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:

Catamarans are very popular in the Caribbean. And will be easier to get used to coming from a trawler. Could be a great choice for you.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 08:31   #14

noticed the drop down keel, be sure you know how to replace pendent while the boat is in the water or on the hard. On the hard you have to make sure the boat is high enough to work on board. In the water are you capable of going under the boat to make repairs---scuba gear?

Carry extra pendants and know how and where you might want to tie the board up while in transit, ie 40 miles in gulf stream and pendent breaks, board falls, then what??
dahshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 09:53   #15

I see what you all are saying and it's things I never even thought about. I've decided to go a bit newer and more modern. I'm currently researching cats as well as planning my travels. I don't see myself going much past Barbados to Panama but if I decide to actually hit blue water I want my vessel capable of doing so. This forum is a plethora of information as well as good people that are willing to help, I'm so glad I'm on here. I've been reading posts and topics from awhile back and there's so much good stuff on here. Thank you all.

" We do not remember days, we remember moments"

Tags
lease, survey