Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2018, 09:48   #1

Can I Sail Home Legally?

Purchased a previously USCG documented sailboat in December that is in FL. The seller lived in another state and the transaction happened in NC. This was a private sale, above board, with notarized USCG forms, all of which have been sent to USCG for documentation.

I need to get the boat home to NC! With no temp certificate, can I operate this vessel with a bill of sale? Not even the Coast Guard can answer my question. Can anyone help?
dalbright1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 11:00   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Can I Sail Home Legally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbright1963 View Post
Purchased a previously USCG documented sailboat in December that is in FL. The seller lived in another state and the transaction happened in NC. This was a private sale, above board, with notarized USCG forms, all of which have been sent to USCG for documentation.

I need to get the boat home to NC! With no temp certificate, can I operate this vessel with a bill of sale? Not even the Coast Guard can answer my question. Can anyone help?
If you have a document with a valid BOS showing you own the boat, no problem. You have what most people have - an undocumented boat. Assuming NC is a 'title state', it's stating the obvious one is required

The only question is one of where property tax maybe owed.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 11:14   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dalbright:

Keep copies of all the transactions so far on board the boat, where you can show them if you are questioned passing through. Eventually the paper work will come back to you from the USCG, and you will be able to show the completed form. In the mean while, you can show copies of what you filled out and what you expect when it arrives. As long as you present cheerfully, and patiently, there should be no problem. Just bring the yacht home uneventfully.

Ann
Old 14-01-2018, 11:24   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

IIRC, you have 90 days to get the boat out of FL before you owe FL sales tax. So, I would go soon. Dont think you will have any problems travelling on a valid BOS.

I would also check on NC tax law....you may owe sales tax there.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 12:10   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Take the BoS and if you can a copy of the application for documentation. Should not be a problem. The long delays with USCG response is pretty well known and shouldn't be a problem.

Another suggestion. When I was waiting for my first documentation I was planning a trip and called the documentation center to ask for an update. Got to an agent who offered to expedite my paperwork and had the originals in a few days.

Also agree, unless you are paying sales tax in your home state (quite likely) FL might come after you for 6% if you aren't out in 90 days.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 08:48   #6

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

DalBright,

NC, sadly, is one of those states that requires registration even if you are USCG documented. So if you go ahead and do the state registration, and print your receipt, etc, you'll be fine. With that, your BoS, and records of what you sent to the CG, you'll be fine.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 09:22   #7

Boat: 2017 Beneteau 38.1

JFYI - - - Bought my current boat in September and have not yet received documentation papers from USCG.
rickdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 09:28   #8

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

We were boarded this summer by the USCG while cruising down the Columbia River. At the time we were waiting on a new document having recently purchased this vessel. We were able to produce copies of our BOS, and document application. The great boarding crew were sympathetic, aware of the backlog in the documentation office and sent us on our way. Your experience (if you’re boarded) may be different but I very much doubt it.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 10:52   #9

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

If you get out in 90 days you will not owe Florida. You will have to pay in NC. If you have to pay in Fl then NC will accept that and only ask for the difference if the local taxes are higher. Sales tax frequently includes a local add-on so here in the Keys it's 6% +1.5%.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 08:59   #10

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

Just go to the NC registration site online and do the paperwork. You will have your NC registration and hull stickers in 2 weeks.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 06:49   #11

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakno View Post
Just go to the NC registration site online and do the paperwork. You will have your NC registration and hull stickers in 2 weeks.
I just bought a boat in Tampa the 1st of December and got a "cruising permit " from the broker that protected me from FL Tax man till I got the boat out of state. There is not a tax on the purchase of a used boat in NC but you do need to register it for property tax.

The CG is running up to 6 months behind , get the NC registration on line and wait on the CG to handle your documentation, if you want to go that route .

jewt
S/V Bifrost
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 15:19   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewt View Post
I just bought a boat in Tampa the 1st of December and got a "cruising permit " from the broker that protected me from FL Tax man till I got the boat out of state. There is not a tax on the purchase of a used boat in NC but you do need to register it for property tax.

The CG is running up to 6 months behind , get the NC registration on line and wait on the CG to handle your documentation, if you want to go that route .

jewt
S/V Bifrost
I would check the details on that "permit". The law is 90 days, so I doubt it buys you any more time than that. And thats coming up pretty soon.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
legal, sail