Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-05-2012, 15:57   #46
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: California Tax Question on Boat Purchase

if brought into cali after having bought it only 3 miles offshore--spozed tobe 12..thn you pay sales tax on documented vessels to the california state board of equalization. is a sales TAX.
registered boats pay at dmv. equalization, as was explained to me by equalization board representative, was and IS sales tax to make documented vessels equal to registered ones. there is NO use tax in kali.
if you want to play in kali, please learn the laws as written and as carried out/enforced. i am a citizen of kali, and have purchased a few documented boats in kali. i might just know the laws there.

zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 16:07   #47

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

What do you call the assessment you pay to San Diego County every year if you have a boat in a San Diego slip on January 1 each year? Anyone?? Capt Phil

Old 22-05-2012, 16:15   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
What do you call the assessment you pay to San Diego County every year if you have a boat in a San Diego slip on January 1 each year? Anyone?? Capt Phil

property tax--i have to pay that also on my other boat....
Old 22-05-2012, 16:57   #49

That makes sense... thanks, Zee... cheers, CP
Old 22-05-2012, 17:59   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

cpt phil---i know because my 39 dollars is overdue..LOL
tw--cpt ron says hay bakatcha,actually , he sends his regards....
Old 22-05-2012, 22:24   #51

Delighted to hear Cpt Ron is still on the right side of the ocean foam!! He is a good man who speaks from the heart, at least he always did with me. He is always looking for a good cause to support around the countryside and was very convincing toget all of us cruisers to support him... give him my best regards, Capt Phil
Old 23-05-2012, 11:59   #52

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
webejamin:
As someone who is in the market for a Gemini, I always read your posts with interest. But correct me if I'm wrong, aren't you paying close to the same taxes in WA? The sales tax is about the same and the property tax is only 0.5% less, a difference of about $40.00 a month from the maximum tax rate in CA (1%). Actually, the average rate in CA for property tax among all counties was .61%, making CA one of the 15 lowest states for property tax.
http://taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/24078.html
Of course if you live on the coast, it is likely to be 1%. But I don't see that the taxes in CA are that much out of line with many other states.
I think Z has answered the question and at the time legal off shore was 3 miles achording to the captian and owner of the Maritime Institute based in San Diago.
Old 23-05-2012, 12:15   #53
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jerry-
I think you may be confused by some poorly worded web pages like the tax foundation's "Map: Property Taxes on Owner-Occupied Housing by State" they don't actually come out and say "real estate taxes" until the second level subtitle.

They appear to be talking about what most folks would call "real estate taxes", i.e. tax on real property. As opposed to what most folks call "property tax" which is a totally different tax on personal property, typically including boats and cars. "Personal Property Tax" is just that, even if some beancounter's nephew sending out the bills doesn't know enough to use the full or proper name for it. Hey, confusion is good, it keeps the rubes from voting you out of office, right?

When someone mentions a tax on occupied housing--that's also a landmine, AFAIK there is no such thing when the "housing" is a boat moving around, as opposed to a houseboat or other generally stationary structure. (Maybe in Kali, but not in the US.<G>)

It all keeps coming back to venue-shopping being a good way to get in deep kimchee. A year or two ago someone in a web forum brought his boat into his home state for the first time, about 20 years after purchasing it. And was told that because he had failed to pay use tax back when he first bought it, he could now explain to the tax court why he shouldn't pay use tax PLUS 20 years of compounded fines, penalties, and interest.

Then of course since laws change form time to time...did I mention, deep kimchee?
Old 31-01-2013, 08:56   #54

Boat: MACGREGOR 26M

i live in wa. im having a boat built in ca. she'll be ready for delivery by feb. 26th. 2013. i was thinking that i may move to california. that being said..at my marina up here in Seattle there are a TON OF BOAT'S registered to NEBRASKA, MONTANA, IDAHO etc etc...that is where they call their homeport and im sure it's for tax reasons. so that being said..im my purchase order the manufacturer added up the costs but left the sales tax empty, and wrote in the space 'out of state purchase.' so im thinking of registering her in OREGON on my way to pick up the boat..is there anything wrong with that? all i see is that i have to renew my tabs every month in OREGON...what do you think?
Old 31-01-2013, 09:04   #55
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Aside from the fact that neither you nor the boat live in Orgeon, so that registration might be tax fraud? No, no problem at all.

You might want to check the Oregon registration and tax laws to get their opinion directly though. And if you plan to ever bring the boat into WA state, make sure there's no use tax or excise tax you're evading.

Tax men often get a list of marina contracts from marinas, then they run the addresses by databases. Boat has a homeport in Oregon? OK, does that match the owner's driver's license? No? Then they often presume fraud, as they are allowed to do, and you've got to come and respond and prove them wrong. Meanwhile, they can arrest the boat and seize assets. They're allowed and encouraged to play hardball, so check the rules with both states directly.

I have no idea what the WA state authorities use (jury lists, driver's license, property titles, lists of "post box" stores) but tax authorities all over the country have done this for some 40 years, they're quite good at it.
Old 31-01-2013, 09:56   #56

I would use extreme caution in dealing with any of the state/county taxing authorites. Best to get a qualified advisor familiar with the taxing procedures in both state of purchase and state of domicile. State authorities are becoming like the IRS in their treatment of purchases made in or out of their state because of the hopeless deficits most of them are running. They are basically rude, altruistic, singleminded and ruthless in their quest to grab every $ they can whether they are due it or not. I moved out of CA years ago after living aboard and running a reasonably successful delivery business out of San Diego for nearly 15 years. Now I wouldn't cross the state line to even buy a quart of milk!
The State of California is virtually bankrupt and the juggling of the books in Sacramento would do the mafia proud. Any source of revenue is looked upon as the lifeblood of the politicians and their ponzi schemes and God help you if you try and avoid paying what they feel is their due. As data bases get more and more of us tangled up in cross references, it is becoming more common to receive tax bills from different entities within one state as well as from other states for the same liability. They don't care that you may have been billed elsewhere... they want their $ and they want it NOW.
The only answer is to downsize, slide off the grid,pay cash for everything and if possible spend some quality time outside the country for extended periods of time.
This is what we have been driven to by state governments like CA. Phil
Old 31-01-2013, 11:16   #57
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I would use extreme caution in dealing with any of the state/county taxing authorites. Best to get a qualified advisor familiar with the taxing procedures in both state of purchase and state of domicile. State authorities are becoming like the IRS in their treatment of purchases made in or out of their state because of the hopeless deficits most of them are running. They are basically rude, altruistic, singleminded and ruthless in their quest to grab every $ they can whether they are due it or not. I moved out of CA years ago after living aboard and running a reasonably successful delivery business out of San Diego for nearly 15 years. Now I wouldn't cross the state line to even buy a quart of milk!
The State of California is virtually bankrupt and the juggling of the books in Sacramento would do the mafia proud. Any source of revenue is looked upon as the lifeblood of the politicians and their ponzi schemes and God help you if you try and avoid paying what they feel is their due. As data bases get more and more of us tangled up in cross references, it is becoming more common to receive tax bills from different entities within one state as well as from other states for the same liability. They don't care that you may have been billed elsewhere... they want their $ and they want it NOW.
The only answer is to downsize, slide off the grid,pay cash for everything and if possible spend some quality time outside the country for extended periods of time.
This is what we have been driven to by state governments like CA. Phil
Heh, I live in California, am a municipal employee in California, bought my boat in California and keep it in Califonia. I did however buy it in one county and move it one county over. Given how entertaining the tax ramifications of my simple purchase and move have been, I'd tread REALLY carefully.

I'm more than willing to pay the taxes I owe on my transaction. I would prefer, however, to only have to pay them once. Hopefully the forms I've submitted to date will be sufficient. We shall see.

JRM
Old 31-01-2013, 11:41   #58

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I bought a boat this past year in Tennessee, where I also have it stored. The home port is Dana Point, CA and because of that, the state of CA sent me a form to pay a "Use Tax". I marked a box for exemption and submitted a few documents to back up my claim. Then they sent another envelope saying that while the documents are being reviewed, I may still need to pay. I haven't heard anything else since.

Now I'm looking at changing the hailing port to somewhere I may actually move to on the East coast. Like previously mentioned, I'm also going to avoid CA.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 11:43   #59

Boat: Freedom 45 hull#1

Are you buying from private party or through broker?
I could be wrong, I think if bought through private party you won't have to pay sales tax.....with broker for sure unless as others have stated you leave country.

Chuck
Old 31-01-2013, 11:55   #60

This subject always brings out the same mix of :

1) Anti-government, anti-tax retoric
2) Ill-informed speculation and opinions

All the information you need is on California's website and it will be actually accurate.

Tags
california

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: