Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-10-2010, 11:05   #31

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
MY, MY, MY! And here in the states, anybody can purchase anything including pot in CA

foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 17:02   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post

... ignore the inflammatory and inaccurate comment about Chavez being about to nationalize all property in Venezuela ...

You are like those street preachers that talk with Jesus daily.

So, what else has Chavez told you? And how much do you believe him?

Nationalisation high on Chavez agenda / World / Home - Morning Star

Read your own media, come to your own conclusions. But do browse the news and you will find many more of such statements by one Mr. Hugo.

My post was not meant to be inflammatory. If I was, apologies here.

I was not inaccurate. I was sarcastic, but these are two different things.

Run buy yourself some land in Venezuela. It is a bargain - fleeting foreigners are selling at loss.

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 18:08   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
One of the best places to buy land and retire to for North Americans in the mid to eastern areas is the island country of the Dominican Republic. They do have the Dutch system of land recording so if you succeed in actually buying the property you will own it.
- - However, it takes some serious research and about a year living on your boat in the D.R. to figure exactly how to buy land and build a house. In most 3rd World countries there are "hidden" or maybe better said, some local knowledge of how things work that is necessary before attempting to buy and build. You can get really burnt if you do not do your homework.
- - Generally, it is always a good idea to live temporarily in the country for at least a whole year before committing to buying land and building. Some countries have a life-style/ way of doing things that is quite alien to a Norte Americano. And it take considerable time to find out how things are really done.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 19:02   #34

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Rebel heart,

Beach property in Mexico is never yours .You can only "own" it through a (bank) trust. I would assume that the purges Zeehag mentioned were caused by the peso crisis and the banktruptcy of major banks. Your purchase at best will be more like a lease.

Ejido land : A lot on the coast, probably the few unspoilt pieces remaining but run...! I looked into buying in Yucatan,imagine acres of jungle with a "private" cenote , but I had to let it go.The laws surrounding it are unfathomable.I can read legalese in Spanish but one does not even know where to look and if you do find something it usually comes in 2 ,one saying you can, the other saying only if the moon is permanently full . Mexicans usually don't bother. In addition laws change from state to state . The properties range from lands that have not been touched since the revolution to lands where there is a co op in power and they make the rules ...Stay away...

The rest of property ownership is pretty ok, but not like in the US as most laws are based on French law rather than British common law. Eg I am pretty sure mineral rights are never yours,stuff like that
I am currently selling a house in the central highlands -Mexico city- and the first thing people ask for is papers from a notary .

We are all in the same boat. Be happy that not everyone is on your side.
Always bear in mind that I am total newbie .
Adax is offline   Reply With Quote

Central America

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: