Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2015, 09:44   #1

Buying in the MED vs USA

Hello All,

I'm about 12 years out from retiring from the army and when me and the Mrs. hang up the hat we plan to purchase a new boat around the 40 ft range. I am comfortable with the euro big names as I find them to be attractive boats with enough financial backing to offset the claims that they cut corners (I'm sure they do) but they seem to be overwhelmingly sea worthy.

The short of it, it seems (and I may be completely oblivious to something, which is why I'm asking) that you can save a substantial amount of money 25-40% purchasing in the Med and sailing out within 18 mos to avoid VAT.

Specifically Kiriacoulis charters.

Some boats that are "well-fitted and delivered to the US" at $300k start at $160k in Greece (and I know there are add-ons and requirements).

This does not make sense to me. Fix my stupidity please.
MDC1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 01:29   #2

Re: Buying in the MED vs USA

I'm ex services (Navy) I live in the UK. If you want a bargin right now Greece is definitely the place to buy. Decide what you want and fly over. Used prices are sub market prices and if you have money in the bank you will pick up a bargin.

Some of the best boat makes are made in Finland and Sweden. They are different class and sail very well. Look at yachts like Sweden and Swan. Don't be scared to buy something that needs a little work.

After your 18 months join Arc and sail her back home.

Thanks for your service

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
paul180401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 05:55   #3

If you're 12 years out from buying I wouldn't even worry about it. The market could (probably will) change completely by then.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 06:55   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying in the MED vs USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
If you're 12 years out from buying I wouldn't even worry about it. The market could (probably will) change completely by then.
True.. it could be the Islamic State of the Levant and Mediterranean by then and all you can buy are Gulet's, Feluccas and Dhows..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 07:36   #5

Boat: Nonsuch 30

If you plan to keep your boat in the US you will want a boat wired for 110v. European boats will be setup for 220v. It is not a simple or cheap conversion.
Old 28-11-2015, 07:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
If you plan to keep your boat in the US you will want a boat wired for 110v. European boats will be setup for 220v. It is not a simple or cheap conversion.
Why not not just keep the 220v appliances and stuff?
Old 28-11-2015, 08:53   #7
cruiser

Make sure you purchase your boat wired for 110v if bringing it back to the US. Using a boat in The Americas wired for 220v would be a PITA. Our Oyster is 110v, so everything 110v runs off the inverter and needs be be imported via our many flights to and from the US... even electronic devices with chargers. If I'd known we'd be spending ten years in the Med, I would have bought a 220v boat.

BUT..... I'd recommend a 220v boat and just stay in the Med, since there's much more to see over there anyway.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 09:01   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Why not not just keep the 220v appliances and stuff?
It's not that simple or easy. Stuff breaks and electronic devices need to be purchased and updated. Example: how does he plug in all of his US gear like computers, electric shaver, hair dryers, Chargers etc? What do guests from the US do with their "stuff" when they come aboard?

It sounds like it would be as simple as getting an adapter, but trust me.... It's a huge PITA. I can't even go into an electronics or appliance store in Italy... Absolutely nothing they sell will work on our boat. The same goes for a 220v boat residing in the Americas.
Old 28-11-2015, 09:27   #9

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC1980 View Post
I'm about 12 years out from retiring from the army and when me and the Mrs. hang up the hat we plan to purchase a new boat around the 40 ft range.
You want to buy a boat in 2028, give or take a year, and you're looking at todays market?
My ability to tell the future is limited, but chances are, the market will change between now and then

If I were you, I wouldn't go in too much detail for the next few years. Just surf the net, see what kind of boats you both like, and in 10 years or so, start worrying about the market and where to buy what boat
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 10:53   #10

I know I am looking a long way out. The basis of my post was "are these boats really that much cheaper on the Med?"

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-11-2015, 11:11   #11

And can I just ask one more goofy question: why would you want two heads opposed to one? I know that occasionally that two individuals may need to use the facilities at once, but the premium of space might be more compelling than the occasional annoyance.

Old 28-11-2015, 11:24   #12

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
The basis of my post was "are these boats really that much cheaper on the Med?"
I understand, and nothing wrong with asking

But whatever the situation is now, says little to nothing about what the market will be like in 12 years.
So I guess I'm wondering how the information is useful to you
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 12:48   #13
cruiser

Quote:
And can I just ask one more goofy question: why would you want two heads opposed to one? I know that occasionally that two individuals may need to use the facilities at once, but the premium of space might be more compelling than the occasional annoyance.

You'd be surprised how often the second head makes itself handy. Like when one of them is out of order.
Old 28-11-2015, 14:51   #14

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Is new wiring, new shore power, new outlets, inverter, and charger and panel really that expensive? We see a lot of boats over there selling for much less over there. So other than redoing the AC electrical if taking to the U.S., and a long trip back, hat else is the downside?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 14:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Is new wiring, new shore power, new outlets, inverter, and charger and panel really that expensive? We see a lot of boats over there selling for much less over there. So other than redoing the AC electrical if taking to the U.S., and a long trip back, hat else is the downside?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
No its not that expensive

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
paul180401 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying