Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-11-2015, 09:56   #61

Re: Buying in the MED vs USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Is that DC generator your only recharging source? A 350 Watt DC Generator will give you about 25 Amps at a 12 V system's charging voltage. So it will take 24 hours or more of continuous running to replace that 560ish Amp hrs.

Why do you need an inverter to run "AC supplies" when plugged into shore supply? The shore supply is already AC. An inverter is used to step up from your 12/24V system to 110/220 V AC when you don't have shore power.
At least 33 hours.

560 amps plus about 50% (whatever you take out of a fully charged battery, takes about 150% to get it back to fully charged).

The depth of discharge, the speed of discharge, and the speed of recharge, all have an effect on the life of the battery.

Plus the capacity of the wiring and fittings to stay cool and unstressed throughout it all.

Old 30-11-2015, 10:47   #62

Ribbit

Thanks for your reply but are you talking about non Lithium batteries. I am fitting a system which works perfectly well on my friends yacht.
AC charging is not as good as having a dedicated DC charging and intelligent battery charging tech on the batteries brings a whole new ball game. 6hrs is realistic.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Old 30-11-2015, 10:51   #63

Think you should look at master volt systems also the question why you require a inverter when plugged into shore supply has also been answered. It's not only about power output

Old 30-11-2015, 16:20   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: ex-Tartan4100, now MS34 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul180401 View Post
There are deals on yachts like those due to their size but you need to have the money and be ready to move. What budget are you talking

yes, I saw an Amel in the $350k range (my target price) in Turkey. But I've also seen lots of other Amels and Nauticats and Swans that are same or more expensive than here in the States.

Other than exchange rate is there something financial mechanism depressing boat prices, as mentioned by the OP? Maybe he was talking strictly about buying boats out of charter?

thanks
Old 30-11-2015, 16:22   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
yes, I saw an Amel in the $350k range (my target price) in Turkey. But I've also seen lots of other Amels and Nauticats and Swans that are same or more expensive than here in the States.

Other than exchange rate is there something financial mechanism depressing boat prices, as mentioned by the OP? Maybe he was talking strictly about buying boats out of charter?

thanks
It's the rate of exchange and also the economic climate in Europe at the moment. Drive a hard bargin prices will fall. If they know you are a serious buyer they will not turn you away. It's a buyers market

Old 30-11-2015, 19:07   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
It's not that simple or easy. Stuff breaks and electronic devices need to be purchased and updated. Example: how does he plug in all of his US gear like computers, electric shaver, hair dryers, Chargers etc? What do guests from the US do with their "stuff" when they come aboard?

It sounds like it would be as simple as getting an adapter, but trust me.... It's a huge PITA. I can't even go into an electronics or appliance store in Italy... Absolutely nothing they sell will work on our boat. The same goes for a 220v boat residing in the Americas.
Hi Ken:

How is it going? Isn't it easier to rewire a boat from US 110v to European 220V. Because the 110v wire's are thicker you can change out the receptacles to accomodate the 220v appliances. I guess that would render your US appliances unavaialable. But what 110v appliances do you have on your boat. The only thing I have is a washing machine which I have never used.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:43   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hi Ken:

How is it going? Isn't it easier to rewire a boat from US 110v to European 220V. Because the 110v wire's are thicker you can change out the receptacles to accomodate the 220v appliances. I guess that would render your US appliances unavaialable. But what 110v appliances do you have on your boat. The only thing I have is a washing machine which I have never used.
Everything on the boat is 110v, if I rewired to 220v we would need all new stuff or a end up with a mixed lot. It's easier and cheaper to simply import what's necessary as needed from the USA. But.... Not being able to run down to a store in Italy to purchase something as simple as a new electric shaver or a rechargeable Dremel tool (like last season) is a real PITA.

Example: Last summer I Purchased a 220v cordless Dremel in Italy, not enough juice to turn on the charger using the adapter, the Italian "Home Depot" wouldn't accept the return because I didn't discover the issue in the first 7 days, I needed to buy a new 110v Dremel from the Home Depot in Massachusetts, wife needed to bring it to me on the next flight... Now I have two identical Dremel tool bodies and one 110v charger. Total cost: $210 instead of $80.

Things are fine, it's good to hear from you.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:20   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41

I have two small inverters on board. One goes to 110 vac 60 hz. The other is 220 vac 50hz. they are the cheap ones that plug into a lighter socket. I imagine it would work for charging a tool. What you say makes sense.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:07   #69

I also share the OP's curiosity. Looking at Beneteau 40-50 ft'ers and the price difference between the US and the MED is astounding. Easily 50% cheaper, if not more. That could be a $100k+ difference for the boats I'm looking at.

Ignoring electrical differences (which can be solved), what other things are there to consider that might make up that difference?

I'm actually younger and very inexperienced when it comes to sailing. I spent a couple months in Istanbul last summer sailing a G6.2 and Beneteau Cyclades 39.3 and became hooked. I'll spending my spring taking further lessons in the San Fran Bay Area as much as possible. I have the luxury that I can take a couple months off from work if I choose, and the thought of hiring a captain with transatlantic experience along with another hand or two to sail it across with me sounds both amazing and a great way to gain experience. Yes that would bring the cost up, but I'd still be saving a considerable amount.

Am I crazy? Am I missing something obvious? I'm bapically re-asking the OP's original question, just without the long timeframe and not concerned about the electrical issues.

-James
Old 11-01-2016, 12:15   #70

Boat: 38' French Cat

People do it, we are considering it as well for a possible next boat. It is a very long trip back to the US or Caribbean from some of the areas the deals are at, and the boats most likely do not have water makers, solar, and other equipment many of the more expensive models here may have. Not that its necessary, just nice to have.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-01-2016, 12:26   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Watch the You Tube clips of La Vagabonde - the story of a young Aussie guy who bought a Beneteau 43.5 in Italy and then went sailing with zero experience. From recolection he paid around $70k for his boat (I might be wrong - best recollection). A million people shall tell you it cant be done but we all started somewhere and with a little experience and the right level of common sense you can achieve a huge amount with very little. If you buy in somewhere like Turkey you have the opportunity to gain good experience as you head west. Remember this trip is likely to take many months - buy you can also probably get a free skipper with the right approach - many experienced yotties shall do it for the fun as long as you pay the return air fare and the boat is sensibly equipped.
I am doing this for a friend right now, leaving East Africa for Cyprus next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdh View Post
I also share the OP's curiosity. Looking at Beneteau 40-50 ft'ers and the price difference between the US and the MED is astounding. Easily 50% cheaper, if not more. That could be a $100k+ difference for the boats I'm looking at.

Ignoring electrical differences (which can be solved), what other things are there to consider that might make up that difference?

I'm actually younger and very inexperienced when it comes to sailing. I spent a couple months in Istanbul last summer sailing a G6.2 and Beneteau Cyclades 39.3 and became hooked. I'll spending my spring taking further lessons in the San Fran Bay Area as much as possible. I have the luxury that I can take a couple months off from work if I choose, and the thought of hiring a captain with transatlantic experience along with another hand or two to sail it across with me sounds both amazing and a great way to gain experience. Yes that would bring the cost up, but I'd still be saving a considerable amount.

Am I crazy? Am I missing something obvious? I'm bapically re-asking the OP's original question, just without the long timeframe and not concerned about the electrical issues.

-James
Old 12-01-2016, 11:52   #72

Boat: Sabre 34-1

I'm not looking for "tomorrow" but I'm not looking for 12 years either. I'm about 5-6 years from retirement, and so it's time to start really digging in, even if just researching. I'm quite experienced, having crossed the Atlantic twice (as crew), sailed 40 years, and own/maintain my own Sabre 34. I'm looking for a circumnavigation-capable boat, and the Mediterranean boats seem to be terrific values. I'm not at all worried about the voltage issue, as I don't see too many items needing AC, and am very capable of doing the work myself if I choose (and besides, I'll spend 5 years in countries with 230V anyway!

So, my questions have to do with "how."

* How does one pick a boat? Not make/design/etc, but "this" boat. Spend a lot of time on Yachtworld, find one that is interesting, and start emailing /calling the overseas broker? Can you work with a US broker, or does that not even work? At some point, you have to drop down a grand or so and go visit -- but at that point, you look mighty "interested" and bargaining gets difficult. Or do you go, look, go home, and then start bargaining? Or do you bargain sight unseen, conditional on an in-person visit/sea trial?

* How about buying it? It's going to be cash, but still, who gets the money, when, how do you make sure that you don't get screwed and end up with no money and no boat?

* How about titling? They hand you something that looks like a title, and what, you send it home to USCG and they send you a documentation slip two months later? What about the interim? Seems that in shady foreign countries, between when you give them money and when you get a valid title/documentation, you could get in trouble with a "boat with no papers."

* How about refitting. My intent would be a winter crossing, where weather is minor, trip is fast, and creature comforts can be ignored to some extent. But the boat does have to be moderately seaworthy. While a failed head would be a nuisance, a failed shroud would be devastating. I would do all/most work myself (I'm quite competent, and very familiar with ABYC requirements), but still I might end up being there a month - will that cause immigration/customs/tax issues?

* How about insurance? Can I get Boat/US to insure a boat that has never been seen by a US surveyor?

Time/money are not really an issue. Ideally, I'll be retired, and my budget while not lavish is very, very realistic. Or at least, from what people say, it is. I'm looking at $100-$150K for the boat, and another $50-$100K to refit before a world cruise ($200K total boat cost is the budget). I'd prefer the bulk of refit to be done in the US (after a trip home).

Harry
Old 12-01-2016, 13:36   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post

So, my questions have to do with "how."

Harry
I know this stuff is all likely covered in other threads, but these questions, and the OP's original question, are the exact one's I've been searching for answers on too..

Greece seems to be the place to buy. The boat I've had my eye on is in Barcelona. Has anyone here purchased there recently or have suggestions or answers to Harry's queries? Thanks!

Tags
buying

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: