Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2015, 08:15   #31

Re: Buying in the MED vs USA

European = 220VAC/50Hz, US = 120VAC/60Hz
The frequency difference isn't as bad an issue as some make it out to be. There are some devices that synchronize to the line frequency that won't work correctly, ie clocks (archaic), turntables (ditto) but by and large it is a non-issue.
The voltage can be changed with a 120v to 220v transformer. The Chinese at Alibaba.com sell these gadgets for between US$30 - 50 plus an obscene amount of shipping.

It ain't rocket science to bring a Med boat to the US nor is it terribly expensive. Ditto going the other way. One only need know where to find the equipment suppliers and exactly what it is you are wanting to buy.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 08:16   #32

12 years! You will need a rebuild by the time you retire.

Invest your money safely and wisely. Buy when you are free.
Your needs / wants will change by then.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 08:29   #33

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul180401 View Post
Master volt IVET-D 16A 3.5KW multi tap

It accepts both 230V/50hz and 120/60hz shore suppliers and converts it into your Multi Combo inverters. Basically converts what ever it detects to DC

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
The Victron automatic switching toroidal transformer has been working extremely well for me. It will accept 50 and 60 hz and can be jumpered for 230v or 110v output.

The input can be as follows:
120v up to 32A
208v up to 16A
230v up to 16A
240v up to 16A

It has a temperature controlled fan and is only 24kg.

I have been running one on 120v and 208v in US marinas (yes, about half of the US marinas are 208v rather than 240v on the high voltage pedestals)

Highly recommended piece of gear.

If you don't mind moving jumpers when changing input voltages then you can save a couple of hundred dollars vs. the automatic switching unit. However, I really like being able to apply any voltage I want from about 90v to 265v. (there is a small gap from about 165v - 180v which I think it will just not connect). If the voltage is out of that range it will not close the contactors. It also provides soft start to keep from blowing the shore power connection.

I have been running that isolation transformer into either a Skylla-I charger making 100A @ 28v or directly into an 8kva Quattro with the shore power input limited to 15A. I often draw more than 15A on shore power but the inverter picks up the slack during the peak by pulling power off the battery bank.

I generally run the system with all shore power going through the charger and making 230v 50hz power. However, if I need both air conditioners (or more likely both air conditioners in heating mode) I am consuming about 4000 watts which on 208 is about 20A. In that case the inverter picks up the remaining load during the peak and then recharges the batteries when they cycle off.

David
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 08:37   #34

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
It's not that simple or easy. Stuff breaks and electronic devices need to be purchased and updated. Example: how does he plug in all of his US gear like computers, electric shaver, hair dryers, Chargers etc? What do guests from the US do with their "stuff" when they come aboard?

It sounds like it would be as simple as getting an adapter, but trust me.... It's a huge PITA. I can't even go into an electronics or appliance store in Italy... Absolutely nothing they sell will work on our boat. The same goes for a 220v boat residing in the Americas.
I use small 12v socket inverters in the cabins for guests with a powerboards. Laptops, iPhones, tablets plug into 110 or 240.
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 08:55   #35

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifan View Post
European = 220VAC/50Hz, US = 120VAC/60Hz
The frequency difference isn't as bad an issue as some make it out to be. There are some devices that synchronize to the line frequency that won't work correctly, ie clocks (archaic), turntables (ditto) but by and large it is a non-issue.
The voltage can be changed with a 120v to 220v transformer. The Chinese at Alibaba.com sell these gadgets for between US$30 - 50 plus an obscene amount of shipping.

It ain't rocket science to bring a Med boat to the US nor is it terribly expensive. Ditto going the other way. One only need know where to find the equipment suppliers and exactly what it is you are wanting to buy.
You are exactly right, and many modern pieces of equipment don't even care about the voltage. Iphones, laptop computers, ipods, and most anything running off of a power wart are able to run on worldwide voltages so for these a simple adapter is a great solution and will work on any voltage. (check the plate on the device, it will say 50/60hz 90-265v) if it is worldwide compatible.

There are some items which are voltage sensitive (like blow dryers, larger computers, toasters, etc) for which converting the voltage will make everything work nicely.

Then there are a small number of modern items which will have trouble at the wrong frequency. Even modern versions of microwaves and washing machines are frequency sensitive. The microwave uses the frequency of the AC power periodically fire the magnitron and running at too high a frequency will burn them out and at too low a frequency cook too slow. Washing machines have synchronous motors and so run at the wrong speed and tend to not work well.

There are some websites in the US which sell 50 cycle equipment and 230v equipment, mostly for people heading overseas and want to buy equipment to put in their household shipment. Prices are high but these days having 110v equipment sent to a 230v country or vice versa is doable and is less expensive than converting a boat in many cases.

David
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 09:11   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC1980 View Post
And can I just ask one more goofy question: why would you want two heads opposed to one? I know that occasionally that two individuals may need to use the facilities at once, but the premium of space might be more compelling than the occasional annoyance.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Hi,
I recently asked a more experienced sailor this, he said - think wind, think boat heeling. I.e. if u go on the weather-side head you mightn't have water to flush with!
dori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 11:43   #37

Boat: Looking

So, are there better deals to be had in the Med vs USA? I have been watching this thread for opinions as I hope to be buying in the next 6 months.

Mike
Back when I used to go fast, I'm #11
https://youtu.be/_Y1cnZcGmFY
Udacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 11:59   #38

Hi Mike if you want a high quality Scandinavian yacht then the Med is the place to go right now if you have money right now

paul180401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 12:13   #39

Paul, can't do that right now, Spring would be the earliest and will be looking for pre-owned boats

Thanks
Old 29-11-2015, 12:21   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Brilliant......

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
True.. it could be the Islamic State of the Levant and Mediterranean by then and all you can buy are Gulet's, Feluccas and Dhows..
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 12:33   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udacha View Post
Paul, can't do that right now, Spring would be the earliest and will be looking for pre-owned boats

Thanks
Yes that's fine things are getting worse there. What sort or make you looking at

Old 29-11-2015, 13:40   #42

Probably some thing in the 50' range set-up for circumnavigation, 3 cabin center cockpit for a family of 4. Again, not sure, doing a LOT of research. Will be selling everything we have so it is extremely important to keep the wife happy or it will be a short cruise

Mike
Old 29-11-2015, 13:45   #43

You want to look at an Oyster me thinks there are some great deals

Old 29-11-2015, 13:50   #44

I'll see what is available when it is time to buy.
Old 29-11-2015, 13:54   #45

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udacha View Post
Probably some thing in the 50' range set-up for circumnavigation, 3 cabin center cockpit for a family of 4. Again, not sure, doing a LOT of research. Will be selling everything we have so it is extremely important to keep the wife happy or it will be a short cruise

Mike
Moody
Solaris-SERIGI
NAJAD
Oysters
Swans - before 2000

HR - not my like

Among mass-produced brands, Bavaria
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying