Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2015, 15:27   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Buying in the MED vs USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul180401 View Post
No its not that expensive

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Yes it's that expensive.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 15:32   #17

Now I may be off base here, but to my recollection most systems are 12v anyway. The exceptions being the few A/C outlets that you would have and of course the charging system (shore power) for you batteries. If you have air conditioning or many other A/C dependent systems it may get costly to convert, but if it's just the charging system and A/C outlets shouldn't be too bad. Running the new wiring would probably be the biggest pain involved.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Benfavorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 15:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Yes it's that expensive.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I converted my Swan from 115 to 230 volts. If you are clever then it's not a bind. I was putting a sinewave inverter anyway. Most things are 12/24 volts

paul180401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 15:49   #19

Dear dear. I'm a sailor and I don't require lots of A/C outlets (230/115) at sea. What the hell do you need to run ? I am fitting a 350w DC Generator and Litium Ion battery system which will give me 760 amps from 2 batteries at 12 volts of which 560 ish amps are available before having to charge because you can discharge the batteries by 70% 24 volt system is basically double

A multi sinewave inverter of the right capacity will allow you to run AC supplies when plugged into shore supply. Master volt do a duel power supply inlets that covers 230 and 115 and converts everything down to 12 or 24 volts or both if you choose

Old 28-11-2015, 15:58   #20

Another thing is that part of the plan is to sail and see the World. There is a benefit to picking up the boat in the Deep Med and sailing out.
MDC1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 16:01   #21

Just sail bud

Old 28-11-2015, 19:29   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not being intelligent like you folks I get to 110 country I just head for the nearest hardware store and buy 15 metres of wire.. a multi socket.. a toaster and kettle.. switch a plug for the shore power and I'm set..
Shoot.. I may even get a Nuke Box.. 😆
Cost.. about $150-ish tops
Gotta luv China..😙
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 19:45   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Not being intelligent like you folks I get to 110 country I just head for the nearest hardware store and buy 15 metres of wire.. a multi socket.. a toaster and kettle.. switch a plug for the shore power and I'm set..
Shoot.. I may even get a Nuke Box.. 😆
Cost.. about $150-ish tops
Gotta luv China..😙
Not my style sir

Old 29-11-2015, 01:29   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul180401 View Post
Dear dear. I'm a sailor and I don't require lots of A/C outlets (230/115) at sea. What the hell do you need to run ? I am fitting a 350w DC Generator and Litium Ion battery system which will give me 760 amps hrs from 2 batteries at 12 volts of which 560 ish amps hrs are available before having to charge because you can discharge the batteries by 70% 24 volt system is basically double

A multi sinewave inverter of the right capacity will allow you to run AC supplies when plugged into shore supply. Master volt do a duel power supply inlets that covers 230 and 115 and converts everything down to 12 or 24 volts or both if you choose

Is that DC generator your only recharging source? A 350 Watt DC Generator will give you about 25 Amps at a 12 V system's charging voltage. So it will take 24 hours or more of continuous running to replace that 560ish Amp hrs.

Why do you need an inverter to run "AC supplies" when plugged into shore supply? The shore supply is already AC. An inverter is used to step up from your 12/24V system to 110/220 V AC when you don't have shore power.
Old 29-11-2015, 01:31   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC1980 View Post
Another thing is that part of the plan is to sail and see the World. There is a benefit to picking up the boat in the Deep Med and sailing out.
In which case, 240V 50Hz is the better option anyway. It's much more common internationally.
Old 29-11-2015, 01:54   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Is that DC generator your only recharging source? A 350 Watt DC Generator will give you about 25 Amps at a 12 V system's charging voltage. So it will take 24 hours or more of continuous running to replace that 560ish Amp hrs.

Why do you need an inverter to run "AC supplies" when plugged into shore supply? The shore supply is already AC. An inverter is used to step up from your 12/24V system to 110/220 V AC when you don't have shore power.
Let me correct myself. It's a 5KW DC generator. Also the two AC alternators are connected to the AC input and charging side of the Sinewave Combi inverter so that when you run the Main engine or other charging source it is control and adds charge to the house batteries and the other two regular batteries on board. Charging time is 3 to 6 hours if discharged down to 70%

I can produce 220 or 115 or what ever volts I require at sea and along side the jetty while plugged in it naturally looks after the shore supply and more importantly for me cuts down the electrolysis process on older boats. In all it gives a much more stable system and looks after experience electronics and I'm able to monitor very well battery charging and out put and the status of each battery to maintain their lives.

My sailing is long distance sailing

Old 29-11-2015, 07:17   #27

Boat: Island Packet 420

Rewiring a US boat for the Med is relatively easy, because the wiring is large enough and you don't have to pull wires, however to wire a European boat for the US will require replacing most of the wiring, which is a huge pain. I will be taking my US boat to Europe and have been told by a marine engineer who lives there that I should just bring some US electrical cord ends with me, and I can purchase European appliances and just cut off the ends of the cord and replace with the US plugs, which I then run off of my inverter. You would not be able to do that in the reverse situation. Same thing with plugging in the boat, I just need a step down transformer, but you would have to rewire that European boat to plug it into an american marina. I have been told that it is not so unusual to find boats there wired for both systems. Maybe you can find that.

One other thing that may be of concern---- in Europe, draft is not such a big thing, generally deep water. However, in the US, depending on where you will be sailing, it could be an important issue. You need to keep those things in mind. Also, Europeans are not quite so concerned with all the creature comforts that you tend to find on American boats.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 07:23   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC1980 View Post

Some boats that are "well-fitted and delivered to the US" at $300k start at $160k in Greece (and I know there are add-ons and requirements).

This does not make sense to me. Fix my stupidity please.
A few years ago it was probably not a bargain to be buying in Europe for Americans, then the USD strengthened and the Euro dropped. In 12 years who knows what it will be like ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-11-2015, 07:25   #29

Master volt IVET-D 16A 3.5KW multi tap

It accepts both 230V/50hz and 120/60hz shore suppliers and converts it into your Multi Combo inverters. Basically converts what ever it detects to DC

Old 29-11-2015, 07:42   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Skylark, a US-built Pearson 36-1 was wired for 110v originally. I added a multi-voltage battery charger that automatically switches voltage, a SuperWind 350 and a dual voltage converter. The converter doesn't change cycles, but that doesn't seem to matter to most of my appliances. Drill and vacuum cleaners don't like the cycle difference, so I try to buy mostly rechargable devices.

The voltage converter runs on 110 or 220 and outputs 110 or 220 depending on the jumpers used in the back.

The water heater just needs a $40 heating element swap according to the shorepower voltage.

That's it. The voltage converter runs up to 1500 watts and cost 80 euros in the internet.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying