Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 18:13   #1

Buying a Yacht in Australia

hey,
know this is a question that gets asked allot but each times a bit different, so heres my version.

ive decided to follow through with my dream of buying a yacht and im in the process now of learning as much as i can and having a look at whats out there.

i am a 30 yr old commercial diver and i work roughly month on and month off at the moment. the good thing about my job is that it is fairly flexible and i manage to make a decent enough living through it. i have recently moved over to the east coast, northern NSW, as there is more sailing, yachts, and marinas on this side, and was looking forward to a change of scene.

i have a budget of 150k and would like this to cover all upgrades, marina fees etc for at least six months. i am looking at something around the 40 foot mark, as it offers a bit of room while still being manageable single handed if need be. i have given myself 6-12 months to find what im looking for as its not something i want to rush into, but should i find the right boat i have the savings to cover it. i am looking for something that i can live aboard and from there get to know the boat and get it set up the way i would like, doing small trips in my time off and working my way up to longer passages. in the end i would like to have something capable of doing some longer cruising, and the pacific is the area i would be looking to check out the most. so would be looking to have adequate water and fuel capacity as well as solar and wind power, basically would like to be fairly self sufficient. as well as a good mix of comfort and functionality (though i know this is totally subjective)

i have quite a bit of experience on boats, more motor than sail, i am a commercial skipper (master 5) and also have my MED 2 engineers ticket and i am working on gaining more experience by trying to do as much sailing as possible on my time off.

i have looked into some of the yachts available over seas as well but looking at the some of the logistical issues and time frames involved with getting it over here have been leaning towards buying here in oz, but this is not set in stone though.

well this is a rough idea of what i am after, and as i said its a start towards looking into fulfilling my dream. i know that finding the right boat is only the start and not the destination and i am looking forward to the journey. if there is any input, advise or ideas it would be great to hear.

thanks and safe travels, josh
josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 23:00   #2

Re: buying a yacht in australia

With that sort of money you should have no problem getting a good 40ft mono? but seriously a multi is better if you intend to cruise in Tropical waters.
Our latest boat, a trimaran is Aluminium (great) Steel is good for Mono's.
Shallow draft is important in the tropics and I fitted a DIY watermaker(150 litres an hour.)
Longer Waterline Length is better in rough weather.
We are currently at Yorkeys knob (cairns) waiting for our Indonesian cruising permit.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 00:25   #3
Marine Service Provider

Maybe a cat or mono under survey (or capable of being) so you can run dive trips off it later?
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 00:40   #4

Boat: Custom

Hi & welcome from a fellow norther NSWian. (near Forster NSW)

I am a mono devotee and looking for pretty much the same thing, but I have the added bonus of 2 kids and the extras there.

There are plenty of good boats around but you need to kiss a lot of frogs unfortunately. Keep your chin up looking, 12 months may be a little tight.

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 00:52   #5

Boat: Able 50

Gosh Jonathon, you have been at it a while. You'll have to either write a book or turn your story into a soap opera script.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:08   #6

A while!

In the time I have been looking we have had three prime ministers!

And just like the boats I look at they all disappoint one way or another.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:51   #7

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
i have looked into some of the yachts available over seas as well but looking at the some of the logistical issues and time frames involved with getting it over here have been leaning towards buying here in oz, but this is not set in stone though.

If I was in the market for a "cruise ready" boat with the sort of cash you are talking about I would go to the boatpoint site and select some of the iconic American brands that we don't see many of here. My reasoning is this. With the Red Sea route all but closed there will be some American sailors who have crossed the Pacific and do not wish to go around Cape Aghulus or sail uphill home. Some will decide to sell up and fly home. Good boats aren't fetching much in the US at the moment so there should be some good deals around if your prepared to look. I know of one such boat in Newcastle (a CSY 44) but it's not one I'd recommend.

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 13:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
If I was in the market for a "cruise ready" boat with the sort of cash you are talking about I would go to the boatpoint site and select some of the iconic American brands that we don't see many of here. My reasoning is this. With the Red Sea route all but closed there will be some American sailors who have crossed the Pacific and do not wish to go around Cape Aghulus or sail uphill home. Some will decide to sell up and fly home. Good boats aren't fetching much in the US at the moment so there should be some good deals around if your prepared to look. I know of one such boat in Newcastle (a CSY 44) but it's not one I'd recommend.

Greg

Hi Greg

That is the style of boat I have been looking for but unfortunately they seem to be few and far between that are priced on the same planet as me and in a condition to reflect my price let alone the price asked by these outstanding members of our community - brokers

Old 07-07-2011, 14:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
Hi Greg

That is the style of boat I have been looking for but unfortunately they seem to be few and far between that are priced on the same planet as me and in a condition to reflect my price let alone the price asked by these outstanding members of our community - brokers
Yes the brokers show the vendors pictures of comparible yachts and what prices they're listed at. The vendor thinks that's what his boat will fetch but it's really the price it could have sold for 3 years ago in a bouyant market. Even new imported boats are selling for way less than they were 5 years ago because of the value of the $AUS. Most of the vendors sticking to what the boat was worth 3 years ago still have thier boats. There is a price to sell and a price to keep. However there are a few who have flights booked back home and have decided to move on. If they want to sell, the market is about 60-70% of the ticket price on most boats. There will be some coming with the south east trade winds and will be here about October - November, but each broker will be trying to build their hopes up so that they get the listing. I know. I've just sold a boat.

Greg
Old 07-07-2011, 14:20   #10

Re: Buying a Yacht in Australia

I have sold a boat at about the time the GFC hit, it was JUST before it became common knowledge and people got hurt.

Then I had more than one broker tell me that you could put any price you liked on a boat, someone will always buy them.

As you say Greg, those that haven't adjusted still have the boat. Perhaps the listings are just to please the admiral.

I notice Greg that you are building an Aussie boat. Have they adjusted to the $$$ pricing as well?

Old 07-07-2011, 14:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
I have sold a boat at about the time the GFC hit, it was JUST before it became common knowledge and people got hurt. ......... I notice Greg that you are building an Aussie boat. Have they adjusted to the $$$ pricing as well?

Unfortunately not. I signed the contract 28 months ago when things were different. You can now buy an imported 42' boat for less than half the price of a custom built heavy duty cruiser. I just have to tell myself that they're only half the boat and that I'm not dillusional at all at all.

Greg
Old 07-07-2011, 14:48   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
Unfortunately not. I signed the contract 28 months ago when things were different. You can now buy an imported 42' boat for less than half the price of a custom built heavy duty cruiser. I just have to tell myself that they're only half the boat and that I'm not dillusional at all at all.

Greg
Greg.

It will be worth every penny when she finally splashes.

And how is that progressing? Will we be back for the launch party?

Our return date is probably as dubious as your launch date (ho,ho)

Hang in there, mate

Jim
Old 07-07-2011, 15:17   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Patience...

In your position, but before the GFC, I went for an unfinished but in the water, project boat. I'm probably $100k and 5 years part time work into the boat with a fair bit still to go.

Advantages are that almost every system is new, I can fix just about anything on the boat, I've had a 44' boat for 5 years mostly on Sydney Harbour and I've had a major hobby to keep me amused in my retirement. Disadvantages are $100k for a $60k boat and 5 years part time work...

Its hard to see what I could have done different. My two preferred DIY boats would have been the Easycat 37 or the Glen-L Marine Argosy trawler in Fibreglass, but building either in Sydney would not have been easy.

In retrospect a good 28' mono would have done 90% of what I have used Boracay for at a fraction of the cost.

With month on month off work the up to 2 years to bring a boat from the States is not really feasible and the stress and cost of shipping/delivery looks to take most of the fun out of the exercise while the selection of boats in Australia in your budget range is, from what I saw when I was looking, disappointing.

So maybe a bigger project boat if one can be found inside your budget, allowing for the time and money needed to bring it up to scratch. Needs to be big enough and good so that you can move it to your area and work on the boat while living on it.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 15:27   #14

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

I have also been looking for a boat around the same size. Bumped the budget up to about 100k and still didn't find anything in Oz that I liked.

I had to come to the US for work and extended my stay a couple of months to go 'shopping' here and mate let me tell you it's another planet. The quality that I'm seeing right now is nothing compared to what I see in Oz and for half the price.

People in Australia don't really want to sell their boats I guess? Who knows... but I'm glad I'm here. Now I just have to find a year to cruise home via the Caribbean and across the Pacific!
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 16:26   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Greg.

It will be worth every penny when she finally splashes.

And how is that progressing? ....Very slowly....Will we be back for the launch party?...Yes, but I don't know if you'll still be in town or even on the planet??...

Our return date is probably as dubious as your launch date (ho,ho)

Hang in there, mate

Jim
Hope all is going well, Regards Greg

Tags
Australia, buying, yacht, australia