Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2013, 10:23   #61

Re: Buying a Yacht as an Investment???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
That they're doing something less than 100% correctly or legally...
Yep. I have yet to hear of anyone who is making a subsistence, and doing it 100% legally, while traveling around, seeing the world, and enjoying the cruising lifestyle. The very few who make an honest living at it stay in one place, and run it like the business that it is--not as a way to make money while enjoying the cruising lifestyle. Either that, or they have substantial income from other sources.

And, of course, it's a subsistence living. No one is getting rich doing this. So while it may be a "living" it is most definitely not an "investment."
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 10:43   #62

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I don't want to suggest that anyone is doing anything illicitly or dishonestly over at Moorings/Sunsail - however, I do think they are painting a rather rosy picture. They have found a way of getting massive numbers of boats into their fleets at no cost to themselves, brand-new, and the perfect method of disposing of them at the end.

Yet, the "buyers" of these boats for the most part clearly have no interest in owning them, and are going into these deals with the belief that the ever-growing supply of ex-charter boats will somehow be matched with an ever-growing market of people with a couple hundred grand to blow on a huge sailing yacht!

I feel that there is a simple solution - They should extend their contract periods and improve their maintenance program to cover a greater range cosmetic maintenance and repairs. However, I don't see that they have any motivation to do so at this time.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 10:44   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I've never heard of anyone purchasing a yacht through a charter management program and making a profit doing so.

For me, owning a boat in charter management is clearly less expensive than chartering for the same amount of time.
Is yours one of the 20 or so Lagoons that have been for sale for more than a year?

Whether it was more or less expensive can only be determined when the boat is sold.
Old 25-02-2013, 10:49   #64
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"For me, owning a boat in charter management is clearly less expensive than chartering for the same amount of time."
Interesting, as I would have thought that you couldn't tell just how expensive that ownership was, until AFTER the charter period was over and the boat was either sold or paid off, so the real cost of having put it in service was finalized. Or have the refit and sales prices been so well set that they are certain?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 11:34   #65

Boat: none yet :(

I just saw an ad banner here on CF which may make sense as a complementary side income for those choosing cruising lifestyle. Not sure how big is the potential market demand though. The logic is that by having a paying customer/crew may reduce the risk compared to having a free rider but the downside of having incompatible personalities in the middle of the ocean is the same.

ELCIE Expeditions | Ocean Sailing Expeditions on a 62' Catamaran
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 20:09   #66

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

There is something of a "black market" of boat owners who have no professional license, limited training, no business licenses or permits, no inspected boats, and who sometimes are not very safe or stable, charging people or soliciting "donations" or "not so voluntary so-called expenses on the high side" for people to sail with them. Some of these people are very frightening and the US Coast Guard or other appropriate national authorities would love to hear about them.
Old 25-02-2013, 20:16   #67

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

make a living out of sailing??? I like chasin women and drinking beer, i'd rather make a living out of that, if anyone has any advice...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 20:29   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
make a living out of sailing??? I like chasin women and drinking beer, i'd rather make a living out of that, if anyone has any advice...
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 10:00   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post

Google "The most interesting man in the world", or "Spuds McKenzie"
Old 04-03-2013, 15:49   #70

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

yeah, setting the bar a bit high for me in the suave stakes mate...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote