Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-06-2011, 11:57   #31

Re: Buying a Cat with Large Charter Company

As has been said, it largely depends on the company. A friend of mine (we've lost touch, so I can't contact him for more details) bought a boat as his retirement dream. The company (I don't know who it was) mismanaged the boat and it was trashed (including needing a new mast, an expensive one). He lost big. The dream died. Just one experience I was made aware of.

Nomad57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 14:28   #32

Boat: Lagoon 450, Jeanneau 479, & Jeanneau 409
Re: Buying a Cat with Large Charter Company

My reply is a little off topic since we went with a small charter company that is associated with a larger fractional ownership company. We bought a new Lagoon 400 and placed it with Sail Caribe on the Eastern Coast of Puerto Rico. Sail Caribe is associated with SailTime so if we wanted to use a SailTime boat out of one of their other locations, that's available.

The costs, returns, and owner use options are in line with the bigger companies but we feel that our boat is being better maintained because it's small enough that we know the individuals doing the work.

A big part of our decision was that the big companies wanted to decide which boat, where it would be located, and which options we would have. We configured our the way that we wanted it.

If you're not ready to cruise full time or even semi-full time, I think that buying a boat and putting it into a charter agreement is the way to go.

Lucky Larry

Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote

buying, charter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: