Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-12-2012, 14:29   #1

Boat: Bristol Sailstar 24
Buying a Bristol 24, 1971

Are there any construction or design pitfalls I should look for in a Bristol 24 sailboat that "needs TLC?" The asking price is $1,800.

Thank you for your heads-up advise, information and design flaws common to the building techniques of that year.

Skip20

Old 22-04-2013, 14:30   #2

Re: Buying a Bristol 24, 1971

Hey Skip20. I recently for a Bristol 22 for $1,500 in the Chesapeake bay. It's a solid little boat, and took a beating getting her home, but a few things I've noticed, that I'm not sure are normal for the boat, or just mine:
  • Check the drains from the cockpit to the engine well and then overboard. Mine had cracks in them I missed, and when too much weight is in the cockpit I take on water via these holes.
  • Check the seacocks and make sure you can turn the valve. I didn't havea holding tank, so those valves didn't matter to me. However, I had a lot of trouble turning the sink valve, and actually broke the handle doing so.
  • Check around the masts for soft spots. I didn't stand *right* next to the mast and found a nice soft spot just forward of it
  • Due to the small gunnels your hand rails will get a lot of use. Make sure they're not leaking into the cabin, and are solid.

Best of luck!

Old 22-04-2013, 16:21   #3

Hello KyleYankan,
Thank you for your thoughtful response. I found the same problems. Soft spots resulting from large holes drilled into the deck. Hopelessly damaged sea-cocks and handrails! Very good point.

I hired a professional to fix all structural fiberglass problems and consider his fees as money well spent. Sails are new, so only had to replace the standing rigging. I expect to spend another 4000 to bring the boat up to standard. In this day and age, that's what a 30 year refit would cost on any sailboat of this size and weight.

Older Bristol 22's and 24's are becoming commonplace in the Caribbean and Central America. Let's consider ourselves lucky to have a "ticket to ride."

Fair winds, Skip20
Old 22-04-2013, 16:25   #4

Hey Skip20. Glad to hear you're in good hands. I'm actually trading out and upgrading to a Pearson 26. 22 is a bit too small for more than a day onboard. If you didn't hire a Fiberglass guy yet, look into epoxy injection. A great way to fix the core of a fiberglass boat. Basically you drill several holes in the soft area of the fiberglass, use a thin-thing epoxy (I even use a heat-gun to warm the epoxy and the wood/fiberglass) and then fill those holes in with the epoxy. The epoxy soaks through the wood and replaces old-missing rotted wood with strong epoxy. Sand and paint.
Old 23-04-2013, 01:40   #5

Hi,
I'm a firm believer in the West System as well; however, I wish to rebuild the bow for strength and install an anchoring system for chain and line.

Smooth sailing in a beautiful craft. Skip20

Tags
buying

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: