Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2011, 16:30   #16

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Buyer's Broker

did you just have a stroke?
Old 29-06-2011, 17:01   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Doesn't using a Buyers Broker mean you are too lazy to do the research yourself?

Same as buying houses: Lack of research leads to losses.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 29-06-2011, 17:48   #18

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I agree to a point but a "good" buyer broker wants return business and referrals, and you don't get that if you are just focused on getting the most out of this sale at your client's expense. I use to charge for my services by the hour and the same argument was made, i.e. I had no incentive to work faster. But that's not so ... I want the client to be happy and come back next year and I want him to refer his friends. Same for a good broker.

Also, a buyer broker knows he is going to get paid eventually assuming you buy SOME boat using him, but a seller's broker only gets paid if he sell you HIS boat and only HIS boat.
The difference is that you were in a profession and had continuing clients and repeat business.

Often, broker = "Larst weke i coodint evin spel saylsmin, an now i are wun"

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 29-06-2011, 18:12   #19

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Doesn't using a Buyers Broker mean you are too lazy to do the research yourself?

Same as buying houses: Lack of research leads to losses.

Research is only part of the process. Yes, anyone can get on YW and look for a boat. Again, like in any profession a "good" broker will provide services and expertise you don't have. You can do all the research you want on income taxes but you won't have my knowledge and expertise because you don't have the same experiences and resources, and a result you may make mistakes ... maybe BIG ones.

Research doesn't equal competence; otherwise, I'd rebuild my own engine. I know what I don't know.
Old 29-06-2011, 19:35   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Research is only part of the process. Yes, anyone can get on YW and look for a boat. Again, like in any profession a "good" broker will provide services and expertise you don't have. You can do all the research you want on income taxes but you won't have my knowledge and expertise because you don't have the same experiences and resources, and a result you may make mistakes ... maybe BIG ones.

Research doesn't equal competence; otherwise, I'd rebuild my own engine. I know what I don't know.
WOWS --Glad i got that govt sponsered healthy care my taxes payh forbaS that numbness was just some anti-stroke symptom that the vlocal doc got rid opf by giving me some other lay-on-your-ass-too-much--pillss-.. Nave a nice Day--- ASsagn by Bon Jovi Cheers
Old 29-06-2011, 19:47   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
did you just have a stroke?
-- NO BUT THANKS FOR YOUR CONCERN ,,, Yes i really mean that wehereas i will leave 1ooo;s of USbdollars sitting in accounts where my kids will never find them i would just thought i would let you know that sometimes helping someb old geezer can earn you thousands.. A s we are still allowed to leave our money to whomever we choose. Cheers
Old 29-06-2011, 20:10   #22

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullord View Post
-- NO BUT THANKS FOR YOUR CONCERN ,,, Yes i really mean that wehereas i will leave 1ooo;s of USbdollars sitting in accounts where my kids will never find them i would just thought i would let you know that sometimes helping someb old geezer can earn you thousands.. A s we are still allowed to leave our money to whomever we choose. Cheers
Okay, who is this??

And what have you done with Pullord?

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 29-06-2011, 20:28   #23

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

The nonsense in this thread is completely appropriate.

The idea that one would 'hire' a disinterested party to simply absorb
their money when buying a boat is insane.

I am sure there will be those 'offended' brokers who will claim
never to have collected a penny they were not entitled to....

... I have never experienced a broker to be more then an obstruction
to the buying / selling process...

Others have said it already... but bringing more people into the transaction
is going to cost you more money... no way around it. You are paying an
'extra' person.
Old 29-06-2011, 20:50   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
The nonsense in this thread is completely appropriate.

The idea that one would 'hire' a disinterested party to simply absorb
their money when buying a boat is insane.

I am sure there will be those 'offended' brokers who will claim
never to have collected a penny they were not entitled to....

... I have never experienced a broker to be more then an obstruction
to the buying / selling process...

Others have said it already... but bringing more people into the transaction
is going to cost you more money... no way around it. You are paying an
'extra' person.
Sorry about your bad experiences. Obviously, mine have been entirely different.

I will say that at the lower dollar range of boats you don't need any broker and can often get by with buying directly from the owner, but once you get over a certain threshold you will very likely be dealing with a broker. At that point I want someone other than the seller broker working for me.
Old 29-06-2011, 21:15   #25

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Sorry about your bad experiences. Obviously, mine have been entirely different.

I will say that at the lower dollar range of boats you don't need any broker and can often get by with buying directly from the owner, but once you get over a certain threshold you will very likely be dealing with a broker. At that point I want someone other than the seller broker working for me.
The last sale I was involved with was a $79,000 boat... not the top, but no small change either.

Multiple problems with the sale of the boat were caused or made worse by the broker.
Old 29-06-2011, 21:21   #26

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Doodles advice is sound.
Nomad, who I believe was the OP, was asking when, if ever is it appropriate to engage a 'buyers broker'. My feeling is that if you are interested in purchasing or evaluating boats that are geographically 1000's of miles away from where you are located, your time for searching is limited or the boat is lying in a different country, it may be entirely appropriate to hire a 'buyers broker'.
I've only done it once in my life and more by accident as she (the broker), had previously approched me about selling my boat to an out of country client and we made a connection. She stayed in touch and when it came time to buy our next boat, she just happened to contact me asking whether I'd sold and was in the market for another vessel. She was not a selling broker, yet turned us on to our last boat, FSBO, as a favor. We felt it only fair to offer her a finders fee which she received instead of a commission. Worked out well for all concerned.
We bought our new (to us) boat lying about 1500 miles from where we lived an would never have found it without her... Capt Phil
Old 29-06-2011, 21:37   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
The last sale I was involved with was a $79,000 boat... not the top, but no small change either.

Multiple problems with the sale of the boat were caused or made worse by the broker.
Again, sorry for your bad experience but this sort of makes my point. You had to deal with a broker and it was the seller's broker. If you had had a buyer's broker the commission would have been split and it would have cost you nothing more yet you would have had someone in your court that might could have prevented some of the problems. Of course, we don't know this for sure but there would have been someone just representing you.

And let me reiterate, I'm not saying all buyer brokers. Just like in any profession there are good and bad. I'm saying a "good" one will represent you and give your money's worth. But YOU have to do the due diligence and find a "good" one. Just like looking for a doctor, lawyer, CPA, investment advisor, plumber ... you name it.

Referral sources are usually the best.
Old 29-06-2011, 21:50   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
The difference is that you were in a profession and had continuing clients and repeat business.

Often, broker = "Larst weke i coodint evin spel saylsmin, an now i are wun"
Yes true, but good brokers get a lot of referral business and referrals come from satisfied customers. My boat is in the Annapolis, MD/Chesapeake Bay area and a lot of people come here looking for boats. I see people often posting threads here on CF looking for a broker referral and the same names usually pop up. Those guys are good and get a lot of referral business. It may or may not be repeat business but its business that comes to them freely. I've bought two boats over the last 5 years, and I used the same broker. He was recommended to me by a satisfied client and I have since referred others to him because he took good care of me.
Old 29-06-2011, 22:50   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Yes true, but good brokers get a lot of referral business and referrals come from satisfied customers. My boat is in the Annapolis, MD/Chesapeake Bay area and a lot of people come here looking for boats. I see people often posting threads here on CF looking for a broker referral and the same names usually pop up. Those guys are good and get a lot of referral business. It may or may not be repeat business but its business that comes to them freely. I've bought two boats over the last 5 years, and I used the same broker. He was recommended to me by a satisfied client and I have since referred others to him because he took good care of me.
--I wold like to have the name of a solid rigging hull surveyor in croatia to look over some x-charter boats i found on the net ffor a deal{jalf USA price}. MY concern ius when i show up there with the bank draft i will get rotten sails and a burnt out GPSunit just for starters. .Any thoughts? Cheers
Old 29-06-2011, 22:56   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullord View Post
--I wold like to have the name of a solid rigging hull surveyor in croatia to look over some x-charter boats i found on the net ffor a deal{jalf USA price}. MY concern ius when i show up there with the bank draft i will get rotten sails and a burnt out GPSunit just for starters. .Any thoughts? Cheers
Sorry but I'm afraid your reputation precedes you.

As for "Any thoughts?" ... yea, you should get back on your meds ASAP.