Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 11:27   #1

Buy Now, Sail Later ?

I'm set to retire next year and found a nice sailboat, CT41, which fits all my needs. I would like to buy the boat now, pay it off and even save some money for a refit but this means I'm looking at boats in places I can't visit due to my job. The sailboat is down in Mexico and I'm confident I could get her but that would mean trusting the survey from a far then storing her on the hard for about a year before I could start the cruising life.

What does everyone think? Buying a boat from Yachtworld with a survey and then storing her for about a year but being able to pay her and have some money for a refit.

Thanks for any comments.
nukids2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:37   #2

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
Re: Buy Now Sail Later?

To be honest, I don't think I could ever be comfortable buying a boat (or car, or house or any other expensive item) without seeing it in person. I might make an exception if the surveyor is someone you've known for a while and trust, but to put all your faith in an unknown broker and an unknown surveyor seems a bit too risky.

Also: Why pay for storage and insurance for an extra year while you won't be using the boat? Better to take that money, and the money you'd spend to buy her, and the money you'd put towards boat loan payments during the first year, and toss all of it in some secure place (GICs, bonds, etc) until you're ready to own a boat.

There are always plenty of good used boats on the market. That's not likely to change in the foreseeable future, even though this particular boat will likely have sold by then.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:25   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Buy Now, Sail Later ?

I wouldn't do it myself. It is very hard to explain to a surveyor what it is you are looking for. I went to look at a boat in Mexico and the whole thing was faling apart. cost me $750 bucks and a few days off of work. Also just did a trip to Italy and found a boat that I am in the process of purchasing. The motor on the Italian boat is full of rust but runs well. Too many variables. I don't think that boat prices are going to go up quickly if/when these economic times change.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:34   #4

Great replies! Thank you for the comments and sound advice.

Mike
nukids2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:53   #5

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

Dont do it.... pointless having it if you cant be fixing and sailing it at the same time... just cost you time and money for nothing.. .unless it is the only one like that afloat!
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 19:58   #6

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Not a good plan. If you plan to wait anyway, wait and buy when your ready. A lot of boats out there and new ones coming on the market everyday.
Old 10-05-2011, 23:22   #7

Boat: Leopard L38

I lived in Mexico and found it very hard to do business down there. Everyone wants to get paid and it is hard to find some one you can trust. Wait, as Lancerbye said there are a lot of boats out there! Good Luck!
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail