Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 21:06   #16

For starters, the Caribbean is anything but calm. But I can certainly understand purchasing somewhere nearer your destinations.

I flew down to see a couple of boats in California when I was hunting. There are some great boats available there, and the condition is often really nice. I didn't get down to San Diego; nothing south of San Francisco to be honest. But I ended up buying something in Anacortes, WA. Not the cheapest, but a really great boat and just what I was looking for - something small enough for me to afford big updates when I feel like doing them, big enough to go around Vancouver Island and Hawai'i.

The most important thing I had going for me during the boat quest, though, was experience sailing a variety of boats. I knew what I needed, and what hadn't been important for me.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:30   #17

BC'er buying in Florida or the Caribbean

[QUOTE=Vasco;229353]anathema,

I think you've got the right idea. Too cold in B.C., no palm trees and the water's not the right colour.

A picture's worth a thousand words. Thanks all for the conversation on this topic.

We've got two young kids, just sold some property here in Nelson, and are trading our powder skis for snorkeling gear for all 2009. We're also considering the tax/import implications of buying in Florida, cruising the Caribbean for all 2009, then trucking her back to Canada to grow old with us either on Kootenay Lake or moored in Comox.

Any thoughts on buying in Florida versus a used charter boat in Martinique or St. Vincent?

Can you flag a boat Canadian that's been bought and registered in Florida?

Any preferences on doing the Caribbean North to South versus the other way around if we can find a good boat down island.

Thanks, Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010105.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	484.4 KB
ID:	6096   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2230014.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	512.1 KB
ID:	6097  

WH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 16:47   #18

Boat: Sceptre 41
I searched quite a few areas for the boat I bought and found that having it close to "home" is a good idea if you want to do the fix up. And there is always things to fix. You can also try Mexico and San Diego to buy a boat. San Diego is very nice b/c there is alot of knowledge here. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Let us know how it turns out.
BTW Florida has a tax that needs to be paid if the boat is in the state more than (I think ) 90 days.

You can kick back in La Paz or one of the other Mexican towns hang out with the cruisers and find that boat that you are looking for too.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 17:57   #19

Boat: Lavranos 39 S/v Continental Drift
"Can you flag a boat Canadian that's been bought and registered in Florida?"

Yes, my boat was born in South Africa. The preivous owner changed from UK to Canadian flag so I don't think it's that hard and the boat has never been to Canada. Check with Industries Canada (formerly DOT)or maybe send a pm to Caribsailors I think he did this more recently.
Brad
bmartinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 18:02   #20
cruiser

There was a tax exemption for Canadians who had been out of Canada for over a year. It was aa $10,000 tax exemption as you were considered to be being repaitriated.
After a winter down south I have always been glad to get back to Canada's Pacific Southwest. Then I am happy to cruise here fo many years before I start bitching too much about the cold. A wheelhouse and woodstove along with a well insulated hull makes the difference between here and south far less.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 14:16   #21
cruiser

The BC government has just raised the provincial sales tax on boat and car sales to 12% ,making the total, with federal taxes 18%, to cover the cost of giving themselves a wage raise of up to 53%, to get "Good People" into politics.
That should give the boat market a boost.
Hard to sell a car under the table, but can be done with boats.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
british columbia, Canada, columbia, taxes