Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2019, 16:55   #1

Bringing items to boat being exported

We are having a multihull built in France and during our progress visits would like to start bringing boat items with us from Canada to leave with the builder. These would include used items taken from our previous boat as well as newly purchased items, ie some electronics, spares etc.
The boat purchase Contract lists the boat as being for export and we would be leaving France on her as soon as its ready. My question is: has anyone similiarly brought items in advance and what was the French Customs response given the boat is being exported. Thank you
CK
SV Tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 20:41   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Bringing items to boat being exported

Arrange it in advance with Customs in your departure port. Should be no problem.

Ann
Old 20-03-2019, 05:10   #3

Boat: Privilege 435

From my limited experience, you have two issues here. The first is whether the French will expect you to pay import duty on the items you bring to your boat in France and the second is whether you have to pay import duty on EVERYTHING when you bring the boat home to wherever. There is no generic answer to those questions as they differ from one jurisdiction to another.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 03:06   #4

Thank you Anne and Privelege for your replies. I think I might need to clarify my question.
The scenario is:
1) I will fly to France shortly to see my boat while it is under construction.
2) When I get off the plane, I will declare to Frenxh Customs:
a) that I am carrying both new and used items I intend to leave for safe keeping with the builder.
b) These items are boat related, ie personal items, used tools, new electronics, that were bought by me in Canada and will be taken aboard once I take possesion of the new boat at the end of this year.
c) I will be leaving France with the items and the boat upon taking possesion of the boat
d) If required I can present a copy of my build contract that states the boat is being built for export, ie no VAT is being paid

My question is: Will French Customs ask me to pay VAT or any other fees on these items?
Thank you for any assistance given.
Carl
Old 24-03-2019, 04:47   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Carl.

They may ask you to pay VAT, and apply for a refund after you depart (re-export).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 06:23   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I guess you should state your questions and concerns via email to the french custom.

You might get a lot of "maybe", "possibly" or "might be" answers here in CF. However, they will not be legaly boundfull when you approach the french customs officer...

Good luck and let us know once you get an answer.
Old 24-03-2019, 14:41   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Piscis, YES! Exactly right!

What we have found is that if you talk to the Douane first, they can fix it up for you; but if you talk to them after the fact of bringing in the stuff, you'll pay duty on it. You can even do it with prescription drugs, but it must be pre-arranged.

Ann
Old 30-03-2019, 09:14   #8

Thank you GordMay, Piscis and Ann (once again) for your replies. All points raised I will take under advisement. I fully intend to contact French Customs and being "forearmed is forewarned". As a last appeal on this forum before I do, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has actually had the experience of arriving in France and dealing with French Customs when declaring personal used/new goods they are bringing into France temporarily before departing in their boat with them.
Thank you,
Carl
Old 30-03-2019, 09:24   #9

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Tru View Post
Thank you GordMay, Piscis and Ann (once again) for your replies. All points raised I will take under advisement. I fully intend to contact French Customs and being "forearmed is forewarned". As a last appeal on this forum before I do, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has actually had the experience of arriving in France and dealing with French Customs when declaring personal used/new goods they are bringing into France temporarily before departing in their boat with them.
Thank you,
Carl
Unless you are bringing in large volumes of new (expensive) items I wouldn't really worry about it (or even contact customs or declare the items). I know that is flouting the law and may bring you some grief, but the probability is very low, whereas contacting customs to prearrange entry for these items is sure going to be a PITA. Most European airport customs officials are looking to search younger people flying in from drug export countries.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:46   #10

Over numerous hours of "googling" and multiple communications with various levels of French authorities, my approach to bringing items, as described in my earlier posts, was formulated.
* I brought 3 pieces of luggage with me to France, two carry on and one checked baggage. All three conformed to the limit of airline weight/dimensions and to not incur unnecessary additional expense.
* Carry on contained the valuables, checked baggage contained the items, if lost, that were less of an issue to replace
* Contents of luggage were grouped then bagged and each bag was labelled with contents
* I carried with me a document that listed each piece of luggage, their group bags and assigned values of their individual contents. Assigned values were either value as purchased, if brand new, or a reasonable, depreciated amount.
* The values of some depreciated high ticket items were backed up by screenshots from ebay, new values by original receipts. My hand tool purchases traditionally have come from 'Canadian Tire', a chain big box store here in Canada that offers 2/3 off sales to which I indulge. So screen shots that show these massive discounts supported my quite low depreciated values of many used items.
My response to my research was there is no formal method, supported in writing, that will guarantee you will not be charged VAT, duties, penalties etc beyond the VAT free current exemption limit.
That being said, my approach was then to limit what I paid beyond the limit. Documentation you provide to authorities, if reasonably supported , will do that.
My wife and I were on separate trips to France and our experience entering France was the same. We handed French authorities our passports and in both instances the officer said NOTHING other than have a good day upon returning them to us. As we exited the luggage pickup area the officers there had no interest in us.
There is no form we had to fill out to enter France with any declaration of what you were carrying. A general rule when travelling is to not talk unless talked to by border agents and we did not. Our 3 pieces of luggage did not look like much beyond what any other traveller had and in MANY cases much less.
Were we lucky to have not been searched..? Maybe.
On my next trip will I prepare the same way? Absolutely.

As a side note to anyone reading this I am not a inexperienced traveller.
I am new however to bringing items clearly in excess of tax free amounts.

Tags
boat