Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 06:32   #1

Boat: Choate CF 41' Millennium Falcon
Bottom Paint

Have to haul out to fix our prop. Just had the bottom painted 2 years ago but wonder if we should slap some more on while it's on the hard. How often do you all paint the bottom? We live in San Diego so water is cold, if that makes a difference.
buxomwench8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:46   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Bottom Paint

I bet you have a diver clean the bottom pretty often. The diver is doing the work of the paint so you don't need paint. If you put on some high quality bottom paint, you shouldn't need the diver for a year or more. A friend of mine left his boat in the water for ten years and just let the diver maintain the bottom.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:16   #3
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by buxomwench8 View Post
Have to haul out to fix our prop. Just had the bottom painted 2 years ago but wonder if we should slap some more on while it's on the hard. How often do you all paint the bottom? We live in San Diego so water is cold, if that makes a difference.
A quality anti fouling paint, properly maintained will last 2-3 years. By "properly maintained" I mean having it cleaned frequently enough that it never becomes even moderately foul. In San Diego, this means every 3-4 weeks. Anybody who tells you you don't need ani fouling paint doesn't know what he's talking about and has certainly never attempted to bring a dirty bottom with poor, or no, anti fouling paint back to something approaching clean. Even cleaned weekly, a bottom with no paint will soon become uncleanable.

Don't cheap-out. Paint when the bottom needs it (rely on your diver for this information) and have it cleaned frequently and gently. You will save money over the long run and enjoy your boat's performance more as well.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:22   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
If you put on some high quality bottom paint, you shouldn't need the diver for a year or more.
Where do you come up with this nonsense? In California, the first cleaning should typically occur 3 months after splashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
The diver is doing the work of the paint so you don't need paint. A friend of mine left his boat in the water for ten years and just let the diver maintain the bottom.
Jeezus. Friggin' unbeleiveable that an (alleged) marine industry professional would recommend something like this.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:42   #5

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

The more you rub or scrub paint,the more you pollute the water,and the sooner you have to paint it again.Good paint should last more than 3 months before cleaning.If the boat never leaves the dock,growth happens sooner.Some places are worse than others and paint is specific to the area it's used in.Really big boats don't get hauled as often due to expense.Once a year is typical bottom paint schedule.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:49   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
The more you rub or scrub paint,the more you pollute the water,and the sooner you have to paint it again.Good paint should last more than 3 months before cleaning.If the boat never leaves the dock,growth happens sooner.Some places are worse than others and paint is specific to the area it's used in.Really big boats don't get hauled as often due to expense.
We're talking about San Diego here, not British Columbia. Boats are cleaned 15 times a year there and they need it. Further, frequent gentle cleaning will dramatically lengthen any bottom paint's lifespan as opposed to less frequent, more abrasive. Use of in-water hull cleaning Best Management Practices will reduce pollution, not increase it. Also, 3 months is the manufacturer's recommendation for initial cleaning after new paint is applied.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:59   #7

I've rarely had the bottom cleaned in less than a year in Seattle. Not sure if San Diego is that much worse...? I would put a coat of paint on if your are out of the water. 2 years is about right In colder water i think.

Jeezus. Friggin' unbeleiveable that an (alleged) marine industry professional would recommend something like this.
Uh Oh...the sales agenda is back!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:09   #8

I said specific to your location,who said B.C.?It is recommended soft paints NOT be cleaned while boat in water.Interlux does say to lightly clean slime from surface when it develops.What if this hasn't been done?Surely more agressive methods must be used.I use a dish cloth about every 2 months in Mexico,the prop. needs it every 2 weeks.That is 6 times per year.Of course I don't tie up in stagnant marinas.
Old 09-06-2012, 13:03   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I've been using Interlux Micron Extra, first in Alameda, CA and Hawaii for the last 2 years. Can see why they don't reccomend aggressive scrubbing as it results in red clouds in the water. Had the bottom wiped down with fine scotchbrite pads about once a year in California. Went two years here because I was too lazy to do the bottom and it wasn't so badly fouled. Does seem to get a slime coating but that was about all till the paint got to be 3 plus years old. Bare spots began showing up around the water line that took vigorous scrubbing with a rough Scotch Brite pad to clean off the coral. Prop, on the other hand takes twice monthly scrubs to keep the coral from growing on it. The prop turns into a useless mass of marine growth in a couple of months if I don't stay on top of it.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 15:25   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Even cleaned weekly, a bottom with no paint will soon become uncleanable.
Uncleanable?? I am looking at 38ft centerboard boat on the market. The bottom is painted every 2 - 3 years, but the centerboard well has not been painted or cleaned in a long long time, and is coated with hard growth. Is this likely to be uncleanable? Is the gel coat going to come out with the organisms? (I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but it seems a pretty wide ranging discussion)
Tom1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 15:53   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Uh Oh...the sales agenda is back!
Not a sales agenda, just proper boat maintenance. I couldn't give two sh*ts if you think leaving a boat unpainted for ten years is a good idea or not. I wouldnt have someone who did as a customer.
Old 09-06-2012, 15:57   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1340 View Post
Uncleanable?? I am looking at 38ft centerboard boat on the market. The bottom is painted every 2 - 3 years, but the centerboard well has not been painted or cleaned in a long long time, and is coated with hard growth. Is this likely to be uncleanable? Is the gel coat going to come out with the organisms? (I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but it seems a pretty wide ranging discussion)
I'm talking about in-water cleaning. Unpainted gel coat can easily be impossible to truly clean with the tools avsilable to a diver. But there's nothing a pressure washer in the boatyard won't take off. Will your gel cost be damaged? Maybe. Depends on what was growing on it and for how long.
Old 09-06-2012, 16:05   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Had the bottom wiped down with fine scotchbrite pads about once a year in California.
I guarantee on that cleaning frequency, your bottom got foul enough to have a big effect on performance both under sail and power, and when it was cleaned, required an abrasive enough scrubbing that you removed much more paint than you wanted to and shortened your paint's lifespan. Guaranteed.
Old 09-06-2012, 17:21   #14

I can see racers wanting to keep their bottom like a babies bum,paying for biweekly cleanings.On the other hand paying upwards of $250. per gallon for paint that needs cleaning that much is ridiculous.
Old 09-06-2012, 17:22   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I'll take 4 years on a single coat of Micron Extra bottom paint any day. When I scrubbed mine just before hauling, was surprized how easy it was to clean. Let me restate that, it took a lot less effort to clean it than I expected.

My center board well cleaned up nicely. Used a putty knife on a stick to knock off the hard stuff. If you've got heavy barnacle growth, you may just have to settle for knocking off the protruding shells and paint over what you can't knock off quickly and easily. Trunk won't be baby butt smooth will be clean enough to house the board. Does a muriatic acid washdown dissolve the barnacle feet or what ever they glue to the hull??
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint