Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2012, 02:47   #1

Boat Survey Greece

Hi,

Does anyone know a good boat survey that does pre-buying inspections for used sailboats in Lefkada-Greece?

Thanks.
dinajui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:05   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinajui
Hi,

Does anyone know a good boat survey that does pre-buying inspections for used sailboats in Lefkada-Greece?

Thanks.
I am using this guy in Athens. I believe he travels around as well.

William Walsh
wwalsh@yachtsurveyor.gr
http://www.walshsurveyor.com/
A_Life_To_Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:00   #3

A life to live... Hey good link. I guess you are looking at yachts in Europe? Id be keen to find out your experiences with this broker as Im probably 12 months away from taking that step. Ta Ben
Old 04-10-2012, 04:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreambeliver
A life to live... Hey good link. I guess you are looking at yachts in Europe? Id be keen to find out your experiences with this broker as Im probably 12 months away from taking that step. Ta Ben
Hey Ben .. So far so good. The survey is next week so that will be the telling time. I'll hard stand it till march next year then sail her home to Australia. One long trip as the Somalia pirates have stopped the short cut. Buying in Greece has quite a bit of paperwork associated with it but using a broker and a solicitor gets it all sorted. Where are you sailing to if you buy in the Med? Cheers John.
Old 04-10-2012, 16:25   #5

Thanks for the tip. I would be keen to learn from your experiences. Home is Perth so the plan is to bring it home via panama but make a decent 2 year trip of it via the S.Pac and Indo. Gotta ride another year of the mining boom to ensure my affairs are taken care of while away.

I've ummed and arr'ed about a more modern Bene or Jenny and still might go that way but have my eye on an older Gib sea 126 as I've read good things about the build quality and don't mind doing a partial re fit.

Have you inspected many and what's been the feedback so far? One thing i know for sure is the offerings in the local market are not too flash in terms of bang for your buck. Glad to see other Aussies are taking the same route.
Old 06-10-2012, 23:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreambeliver
Thanks for the tip. I would be keen to learn from your experiences. Home is Perth so the plan is to bring it home via panama but make a decent 2 year trip of it via the S.Pac and Indo. Gotta ride another year of the mining boom to ensure my affairs are taken care of while away.

I've ummed and arr'ed about a more modern Bene or Jenny and still might go that way but have my eye on an older Gib sea 126 as I've read good things about the build quality and don't mind doing a partial re fit.

Have you inspected many and what's been the feedback so far? One thing i know for sure is the offerings in the local market are not too flash in terms of bang for your buck. Glad to see other Aussies are taking the same route.
I've heard good reports on the Gib'sea's too but nothing first hand. Just check out insurance if you are going to need that. Some of the older non-production boats insurance costs are scary ... particularly for boats that want to cross the Atlantic, Caribbean and South Pacific oceans.

I agree .. The local market must be having a very hard time selling against the boats in the Med and Caribbean. Usually half price or less even when duty and GST are added. I also want the sail home so the delivery is a plus for me rather than a minus.

I have got to survey stage on 4 yachts so far. There are some real wrecks out there so beware and use a good surveyor! A lot of the larger production yachts with fin keels have major problems. Spade rudders are also subject to enormous stresses and are one of the first break points. About $4,000 to replace a rudder on a Bene 50 and $7,000 to do the keel reseat and bolts. Look for the "grid" in Benes breaking away from the hull (cracks between hull and Grid) as I have had this show up on charter boats that have not had an easy life.
Old 07-10-2012, 00:40   #7

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: boat survey greece

I can recommend Gregory Voss see Yachts and boats for sale in Greece
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:14   #8

Again thanks for the tips. The worst thing is you have absolutely hit the nail on the head when it comes to my concerns. I can deal with electrics, standing rigging etc and even osmosis but poor hull integrity really is my main worry. Part of the reason why i was interested in an early Gib Sea was the hull, partial skeg etc.

Can i ask... Have you found so far that their is a strong correlation between price and quality or is pricing almost random? Have you also checked out yachts from major charters as i would imagine possibly falsely, that ex sunsail yachts are probably better maintained than an independent due to the risk of increased international liability.

Cheers
Old 08-10-2012, 03:35   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreambeliver View Post
I wouldn't rule out the older Jeaneaus either. The 1980s boats had a reputation for being well built. We looked at a 1984 Sunrise which sadly had been abused by the previous owner. However it was all do-able with new cushions and batteries, mast re-rigged etc. The basic boat structure was sound despite 2 Atlantic crossings to her name. Sadly wifey wanted something to sail away, not a project which I quite fancied.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinajui View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
Fergus Prescott based in Gocek Turkey is good and he will travel
I used him recently to survey a cat that I have now purchased in Cyprus.
His website is Oceancraft - About Us
Good luck
Wayne
AussieWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 15:28   #11

Hey A life to live. Just wondering how the survey went and if you went ahead with that boat?
Old 18-12-2012, 17:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreambeliver View Post
Hey A life to live. Just wondering how the survey went and if you went ahead with that boat?
All went well. Now the owner of a Bavaria The survey went very well and the surveyor was very thorough. Just a word of caution though .. The surveyor is doing a hull survey. He did not pick up that the electrics had been trashed and hidden and the batteries were junk.. It only cost me €340 for a complete engine loom and rewire back to the engine monitor in the cockpit. That was a lot of thanks to the broker! Also as he will state in the survey he only checks that the engine runs, does not overheat and performs the task. To get a true engine assessment you need a diesel mechanic to do compression tests, leak down tests, injector pump flow and pressure tests etc. same applies for the rigging. You need a rigger to go over it and again for the sails you need a sailmaker. It can cost you a bundle if you do all the surveys and tests! I went with the hull surveyor and his general recommendations on the engine, electrics, rigging and sails. I did loose out on the batteries as they we all U/S. the broker replaced the starting battery and I will have to do the rest, which for the trip back I would have anyway. I have her on the hard stand in Greece and that was surprisingly cheap. The next challenge is getting all the work done between now and March!
Old 19-12-2012, 02:41   #13

Re: Boat Survey Greece

Hey mate,

Thanks for the update. Good to hear it all went well. I wish you were in Perth because id buy you a pint and pick your brain!

Did you find there was much (if any) flex in the asking price when it came down to negotiating?

You mention putting the boat on the hard in Greece... Do you mind if I ask what the monthly cost is and are they willing to allow you to work on the boat while its there?

Overall, compared to the listing did you find that the boat was pretty much as expected, or over represented?

Glad to hear its worked out....Sounds like your about 2 years ahead of me almost to the day!

Tags
Greece, survey, greece