You may not be in the market for a new boat, but spending a weekend at the boat show
is still worthwhile. It's fun, of course, but you can pick up a lot of important information at the same time- and I'm not talking about sales literature.
At a boat show
, you can poke around. You can stick your head
bays, you can root around in lockers looking for seacocks, you can open up electrical panels
. In other words: you can get a pretty good feel for how the important (and hidden) details differ from builder
, and at different price
points. If you can learn to look past the gelcoat
, it'll help you to think about what separates "good" practice from "shoddy".
No, you won't learn much about how the boats sail. But you'll get a good feel for how various design features compare when at rest (80% of a boat's life) or when under repair (19 of the remaining 20%). If nothing else, it'll help you think about what to look for when you start hitting up brokers.
Just don't bother with the $7 convention centre hot dogs